Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eastwood Migrant Hostel 1970

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antonio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Eastwood Migrant Hostel 1970 Reply with quote

Dear All
My name's Antonio Atzei and I'm currently filming a documentary about Mr. Graziano Capra from Nuoro in Sardinia whom migrated with his wife and 4 children to Sydney the 19 feb 1970.

The reason for this post is very simple, I'm trying to get hold of some photos (to include in the dvd when ready) of the Migrant Hostel in Sydney and to be precise EASTWOOD Migrant Hostel. I've been through many of mr Graziano family albums but at this stage with no luck, not even one of the hostel. The period I'm interested is the 1970 off course but I believe 5 years before or after doesn't really matter.
If you know of someone or you are that person I'd be very happy to include a couple of your photos in the project.

Thanking you all in advance

Antonio Atzei
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antonio,
Are you sure you don't mean East Hills Hostel.
Welcome
Antonio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

Thank you for your replay I really apreciate your help. As soon I received your post I've called mr. Graziano and looks like you're right. Probably between his and mine phonetics issues we were going around in circles. He mentioned the walk to a near by RSL to get a beer with friends. Also military barracks near by, the word HAMMONDVILLE was mentioned more then once. If the weather keeps holding we may be going over and shoot a couple of takes.
What I found strange going through the AUST PHOTO ARCHIVES, was that in the same decade 1970 to 1980 the quality of these hostels changed dramaticaly let's say from the ones in Canberra, compared to others around the country. Anyhow mr. Graziano was very accurate and vivid in describing the actual buildings and/or sheds in the "CAMP" . He gave a particular mention to the tin roof.
I'd be very glad if anyone out there can let me take a photograph of 5 photos maximum.
If you have any suggestions please let me know, any kind of help is very much apreciated, after all I'm financing this project myself
Len

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Antonio

Hope you find what you�re looking for. I�m sure someone will be able to help you. Good luck.

Very Happy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antonio,
Have you read the newspaper clipping on this East Hills thread,shows you how dramaticly East Hills changed after it was rebuilt . I think if you read it you will find it interesting. Very Happy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio the Army camp was called "Holsworthy"
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: