Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East hills Post Office & shop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil phil has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: East hills Post Office & shop Reply with quote

my father tells me there was a post office on easthills and the guy who worked there was bruce ? jog anyones memories,

i can remember the shop and as i remember it had wooden floorboards with some fair old gaps in between , if you dropped your sweet money on the floor - that was it -it was gone !
there must have been a small fortune under that shop when they knocked it down....
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
Though I remember the Post Office on the Hostel ,your Dad is better than I am in that he remembers the chaps first name . I can't remember his name at all. I remember we had a Doctor's surgery at EAst Hills too and the Dr. used to come a couple of times a week and hold a surgery for a couple of hours . Smile
Steve Mc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fondly remember the shop at East Hills.
I remember when we'd go to the shop and buy the blue aerogramme envelopes so we could write letters to friends and family back in Scotland.
No internet or even phones for us back then!

I don't remember a great deal about the shop...but being a 9 years old at the time I have no doubt i spent all my pocket money there.
Ann Ainsworth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile i remember the post office and the blue aerogrammes. The highlight of our day seemed to be checking if we had any mail from home
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many aerogrammes were exchanged. Particularly with my grandmother.
My love of writing comes from my mother's side. Her sister, on one of her 10 visits to us, here, in Revesby, brough a stack of my mother's aerogrammes back.
Including one which I particularly like, in which she put such a positive spin on our trips, on weekends, down to the Royal National Park and our hiring of the rowing boats, sent to her parents, in Gouda. :)

Jo (Ozcloggie)
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: East Hills Post Office photo Reply with quote

Today I have uploaded a picture of the East Hills Hostel Post Office. It was actually called the Hammondville East Post office. The picture was kindly donated by Sandra Antouny (ne Paterson) who was on the hostel from C1961 to C1963. She has given me her permission to use the photo. Hopefully it will bring back a lot more memories. The picture was taken in C1961. It was of course a shop as well as a PO. In the photo is Sandras brothers Alan and Ian and sister Irene. Notice the brown suitcase style school bags. We were still using this style of school bag when I was on East Hills Hostels in 1966-1968.

mazda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post office was at the back right hand corner I seem to remember and there was a pool table in the shop as well I think ??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to my Mother in Scotland last night. She remembers that the operator of the shop/post office was called Jenny. She cannot recall her surname. She does not think that there was a pool table inside. This was 1966-1968.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos Richard and to Sandra.

We used to use the miniature suitcases for school as well. They were great for saving you place in the school bus queue while you messed about.

I noticed the graffiti under the �Savings Bank� sign. It says;

LC
.L
CW .. or it might be a V

I wonder who LC and CW is? Smile
Olly Olly has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len wrote:
Thanks for the photos Richard and to Sandra.

We used to use the miniature suitcases for school as well. They were great for saving you place in the school bus queue while you messed about.

I noticed the graffiti under the �Savings Bank� sign. It says;

LC
.L
CW .. or it might be a V

I wonder who LC and CW is? Smile

It was usually girls who scrawled "initials Love initials". I was on the hostel from 65 - 67 and had a friend there called Lyn Carlon. I don't remember how long she'd been on the hostel. I wonder if LC was her! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: East Hills Post Office Reply with quote

I posted in the wrong area previously. There is now available for free a couple of records from the shop on the National Archives of Australia. Search for this:-
Hammondville East Post Office [History file] [Box 471]
Barcode
Disappointing records, but may be of some use to someone.
wirralar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Archive records for Hammondville East PO Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing the direction to these records - they were very interesting to me! My mother, Beryl Dudson, and our great friend, May Ransom managed the shop on behalf of Mr Samiec from about 1960 to 1962, when we returned to England. There was no pool table then! The counter ran the full length of the shop on the right and the PO was down the back. May was the Postal agent. My fondest memories are of the rows of tins of Arnotts biscuits - all individual. You could buy half a pound of plain for one price, or half a pound of creams for a little more. The lollies were also loose. Cobbers were a penny each! There were no adding machines, and I marvelled how easily Mum and May could add groceries up in their heads - that was in the days of pounds, shillings and pence too. It was very difficult for my Mum as everyone who came into the shop was homesick, of course, and all they wanted was a letter or parcel from "home". However, no sooner had we returned to England than they started saving to come back. Dad was Bill Dudson, a brickie who worked with Paddy Lally and Kevin McGibbon. Our families were very close - they replaced the Aunts and uncles we had left behind. I was only five in 1959, but those days are etched in my memory forever. We used to pile into the back of Dad's ute (!) and drive all the way to Liverpool baths for the day. Oh what a lot of memories!
jean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi My name is jean, we were on the hostel from easter sunday 1963 until October 63. We lived in 124A. I remember the pool table, it was coin operated.
I was good friends with Irene Paterson, I don't know if that is the same one in the photo I remember she had older brothers who were called Miv and Mav maybe these were nicknames. She returned to the UK with her parents in 1963 on the Fairsky I believe her brothers remained here in Australia. I did get a postcard from Irene from the ship but I did not have her home address so lost touch. I was 13 and she was 14, we had some fun on the hostel.
I was on the hostel from april to about October 1963. My best friend was Irene Paterson who went back to Scotland I think, on the Fairsky in 1963. We lived in 124a and as a 13 yr old I had a ball on the hostel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Irene Paterson Reply with quote

Hi Jean. Welcome to the forum. I believe that your freind Irene is in fact the sister of Sandra Patterson (nee Anthony). Sandra has two brothers, that stayed behind in Oz. They are still here, living in NSW, as is Sandra. Sure seems to me that they are the people you were looking for, but I could be wrong.
jean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard,
It's funny but I don't remember Irenes sister Sandra, it would be great to hear from her about Irene.
I was on the hostel from april to about October 1963. My best friend was Irene Paterson who went back to Scotland I think, on the Fairsky in 1963. We lived in 124a and as a 13 yr old I had a ball on the hostel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: