Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you remember the Easybeats?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laugh
Yeah he was well pissed the day I saw him, and that was about 1983!
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His eyes tell it all cheers cheers cheers
muffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: easybeats Reply with quote

i remember the easybeats real wel.one of the easybeats his father, used to work in vilawood hostel,my friend gerda had a real thing for stevie,they went out a few times ,she was at the time in villawood hostel,and she met them there,when they visited the father ,i think it was harrys father,not sure,and gerda went to a few parties ,and that is how she got to know them,i never met stevie myself ,but i have george,any way it didnt last long he soon left her for some one else when he became famous
rpl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Easybeats was one of the top rocking bands of Australia in the sixties - early seventies. Made My Bed; Come and See Her; Friday On My Mind; Women; => lots of good stuff from Villawood Hostel.
Another top band of that era was the Masters Apprentices. Undecided; Buried and Dead; Elevator Driver ...

I remember another migrant band that used to rehearse in the same laundry place of Villawood Hostel (1965-66) where the Easys rehearsed shortly before that. They were also very good. I have always wondered what became of them. Does anyone know?
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local library, Eastern Regional Libraries in Victoria now has a copy of "Friday on my mind" re the Easybeats.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linyd, you got any photos of the Hostels that you can share with us? I see there was a few on the doco. It would bring back many memories for this sites members. Tks. Richard.
tapau

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: easy beats Reply with quote

Hi Lindy, my family lived on the villawood hostel from 1962 to 1964.
my brother new the easy beats and used to play guitar with them in the washrooms, they asked him to join the band, but my mum said no!
he still moans about it to this day.
Pauline
BrendonL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I was maybe 5 years old, but I do remember being told that "Snowy" from the Easybeats lived behind and one hut over from us. Vague memories of deafening sound of drums from the hut. I know me and my friends were impressed att he time!
Casper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpl wrote:
The Easybeats was one of the top rocking bands of Australia in the sixties - early seventies. Made My Bed; Come and See Her; Friday On My Mind; Women; => lots of good stuff from Villawood Hostel.
Another top band of that era was the Masters Apprentices. Undecided; Buried and Dead; Elevator Driver ...

I remember another migrant band that used to rehearse in the same laundry place of Villawood Hostel (1965-66) where the Easys rehearsed shortly before that. They were also very good. I have always wondered what became of them. Does anyone know?

Hi rpl,
I lived in Villawood hostel during the same period us you, 1965/66. During that period my nickname was Casper!
Somewhere else I saw your remark about that other band of migrants playing in the laundry place every week with fantastic versions of "Tell Me" and "Fortune Teller". Also your question here; I have always wondered what became of them. Does anyone know?
Are you sure it was a band? In 1965/66 my mate Charlie and I used to play and sing those songs all over the place in Villawood hostel. We also played Around & Around, Easy As Can Be, As Tears Go By, Carol and many more. Charlie lived just outside the hostel on the Miller Road. He knew the Easybeats very well. He was there too in 1964 when the Easys practised in the laundry room. In 1966 I practised with a band (not with Charlie). The band practised for about three weeks outside the hostel on the Miller Rd. We did one gig at Susie Wongs on Kings Cross. That was my first and last gig in Australia :-(.
On new years day 66, Charlie took me over to Georges place. George was busy with a new song and asked me to sing along with him. That was a goose bumps moment for me. That same afternoon I played chess with his brother Malcolm, he wiped me off the board. Dick used to come to the hostel a lot to visit his father who was the hostel cook. During those visits I often spoke with him.
I still love the old Easybeats songs, just like the old Stones and Beatle stuff, they never bore!
During my stay in the hostel I worked as a hostel gardener mainly cutting the grass between the units. These days, whenever I smell fresh cut grass, I get Villawood hostel flashbacks Smile.
Regards,
Ron
Peefer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I remember the Easybeats very well. My parents were very good friends with Stevie Wrights parents. We were living at Guildford after leaving Broughton Hostel (Burwood) and I spent many evenings at their flat in Villawood. Stevie's father (George) was in the army and they had a flat provided by the army.
I had many pillow fights and wrestling matches both with Stevie and his brother Ralph. They also had a sister called Susan. I remember their mother (Dorothy) yelling to us to stop fighting.
I also remember in the early formation days of the Easybeats large numbers of girls knocking on their front door trying to get access to Stevie.
We used to go to most of their Sydney concerts and would be backstage and mixing with the likes of Normie Rowe and MPD Ltd and Bobby and Laurie among others. Ahh those were the days.
grattan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: laundry band at villawood hostel Reply with quote

hi the band that did a version of fortune teller was the throb it went to number 1 the rhythm guitarist was john bell who was nearly lead singer for the easybeats
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Throb's version, it was so much better than the Rolling Stones'.
grattan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: do you remember the easybeats Reply with quote

I used to see the easybeats every weekend with a gang of Cabramatta migrants peter waite. Sammy davenport.eddie blaire.johnny parker
allan smith.we would go to beatle village or Havana village and the bowl.
the first time they appeared on tv was on the johny okeefe show ,stevie wasn't allowed to stand out front because of his long hair so harry vanda sang lead on I who have nothing it was the best better than tom jones or normie rowe
Hollander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have seen you around grattan. I went to those places and later also to Rhubarbs. The Throb were great. I used to see them at Suzie Wongs. I'm still in touch with their singer Denny, who later joined The Master's Apprentices.
grattan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: do you remember the easybeats Reply with quote

we sure would have come across each other Hollander I knew john bell from the throb well he was pretty upset not getting the vote to be lead singer with easybeats but he wouldn't have been as good as stevie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: