Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you remember the Easybeats?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindy Boylan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Do you remember the Easybeats? Reply with quote

Hi, my name's Lindy. I'm working on a documentary for SBS on the 1960's Australian band the Easybeats. They were all immigrants and were the first Australian band to have international success. The original drummer, Gordon 'Snowy' Fleet was in the East Hills Hostel c. 1963/64 with his wife Maureen and young daughter Mandy. Two other members, George Young and Harry Vanda (Johannas Vanderberg) were in the Villawood Migrant Hostel at the same time. They used to rehearse at the Villawood Migrant Hostel Recreation Hall and Wash House and play at clubs around the Bankstown area. I would love to hear from anyone who knew the band or remembers their early days. Did anyone have a band themselves or were there talent quests/dances at East Hills Hostel? Photos from that era would be fantastic!
Beyond Productions Pty Ltd
02 9437 2058
Len

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lindy, welcome to our forums.
I�ve got to say, that�s a very interesting piece of information and I hope it�ll draw in a lot of interest.
I vaguely remember the name and certainly remember hearing some of there songs �after searching and listening�.
There are a few of their tracks on youtube and I�ve inserted one here as to jog everyone�s memories.

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query=easybeats&search_type=&aq=f

Nice one, and good luck.

Link
Lindy Boylan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: The Easybeats Reply with quote

Hi Len,

Yes, it's a great story. 'Friday On My Mind' was a real working class anthem and recorded by many big names. Vanda and Young became incredibly successful songwriters/producers for bands such as AC/DC (George's younger brothers Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC were also at Villawood), the epic 'Evie' trilogy for Stevie Wright's solo career, 'Love is in the Air' for John Paul Young (no relation). I'm sure there are ex residents out there who remember the Easybeats and have stories, memories and hopefully even photos! I look forward to hearing from them. Many thanks, Lindy
02 9437 2058
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lindy

I remember the Easybeats well. We would hitch hike up to Sydney on the weekend if we knew where they were playing.
I thought they were terrific and believe that they were the vanguard of the Australian Rock scene, any band that came after them had to be good.

Shame about Little Stevie though.

Where they any good or were they just a "Flash n The Pan "

Regards

Roy
Lindy Boylan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: The Easybeats Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
Hi lindy

I remember the Easybeats well. We would hitch hike up to Sydney on the weekend if we knew where they were playing.
I thought they were terrific and believe that they were the vanguard of the Australian Rock scene, any band that came after them had to be good.

Shame about Little Stevie though.

Where they any good or were they just a "Flash n The Pan "

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,
They definitely were the vanguard of Australian rock and it was anything but 'easy' - but Vanda and Young were anything but a flash in the pan!! Stevie was a truly great talent, I'm glad you have fond memories. I'm hoping to find someone who knew them personally at Villawood - wish me luck!

Regards,
Lindy
02 9437 2058
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know The Easybeats, however I do remember a very disgruntled brother of Stievie's at Lidcombe swimming pool. Poor kid was hounded by a bunch of girls hoping to get well in. Ralph I believe his name was, wonder how he coped.
Olly Olly has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely remember the Easybeats and knew that one of them came from East Hills Hostel, but he'd left not long before my family got there.

Olly
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Easybeat film Reply with quote

There is a short film made about the Easybeats called, funnily enought "Friday on my mind" Its held in the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia. The blerb says they were from Cabramatta Hostel. Its extremely expensive to hire from them as an individual, as they primarily lend to schools and other major research organisations. But its out there and someone might have a video that was accidently copied.......... Or try the local council libraries. Richard.
barkly barkly has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: East Hills bands Reply with quote

Although I had left the East Hills Hostel in 1955 for the East Hills Naval Estate - dad having joined the RAN in England after being in the RN - one should not forget that Col Joye (and the Joy Boys) were already famous and living just on the other side of the Georges River.

We used to see him from time to time getting his very greasy hair cut in the local barbers opposite East Hills railway station. In fact my brother (only about 8 at the time) got into a lot of trouble when after sitting next to him in the chair advised the barber that he wanted a crew-cut instead of what mum had instructed.

But then he is still into rock and roll at 60.

Barkly
Jane Jane has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Easybeats in Womes Weekly at Easthills Laundry Reply with quote

Hi,
Im new to the forum and have just read your post.
I used to go & listen to them rehearse, they would practice in our laundry sheds and one day a magazine came into the laundry shed and did an article. I was in the photo sitting just watching & listening to the group practising, Im sure it was Womes Weekly it was 1966-67.
I hope this has been some help.
You can email me if you would like to know more about the times with the Easybeats in the laundry sheds at: [email protected]

Regards
Jane
marjie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Hi I am new to the website.

I lived on Broadmeadows hostel between 1964 and 1966. My parents then moved to Moorabin (not sure of spelling) and lived there for another two years before moving back to the UK.

My friend Lynette Kinder and I were great fans of the Easybeats and watched them whenever we could. I was friends with Snowie as I am also a scouser. And believe it or not many years later I was in a pub in London chatting to an elderly lady who turned out to be his mother!!!

At these dance halls I also watched Olivia Newton John and a woman called Pat, not sure of her surname.

Happy days!
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her name was Pat Carroll and she was actually Olivia Newton John's sister in law at the time,they later went over to England and opened Koala Blue together
embsmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Do you remember the Easybeats? Reply with quote

Lindy Boylan wrote:
Hi, my name's Lindy. I'm working on a documentary for SBS on the 1960's Australian band the Easybeats. They were all immigrants and were the first Australian band to have international success. The original drummer, Gordon 'Snowy' Fleet was in the East Hills Hostel c. 1963/64 with his wife Maureen and young daughter Mandy. Two other members, George Young and Harry Vanda (Johannas Vanderberg) were in the Villawood Migrant Hostel at the same time. They used to rehearse at the Villawood Migrant Hostel Recreation Hall and Wash House and play at clubs around the Bankstown area. I would love to hear from anyone who knew the band or remembers their early days. Did anyone have a band themselves or were there talent quests/dances at East Hills Hostel? Photos from that era would be fantastic!

I remember the Easy beats, they came to Wollong a few times and played at the 'Pioneer Hall' They were a guest act of the loacl band 'The Tornadoes' Must have been around 1966 or 1967 I think. I may have a photo of myself with snowy and possibly of the other guys...I heard that Dick Diamond was dead, don't know how true this is. Also Stevie Wright took part in a aussie production called 'Long way to the Top' though a mere shadow of his former self.
regards,
Evelyn Smith
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Easybeats Reply with quote

I remember them so very well, I first met George Young and Stevie Wright when they just walked into Burwood Hostel as Stevie lived near by he had come to Oz via Big Brother Movement. The band did practice at Heathcote and East Hills Hostels in the Laundry rooms. Then they started a gig at Beatle Village in Oxford Street Sydney. A million years later I met Stevie in Nowra. Snowy was the drummer George Harry and Dick on guitar and Stevie singing we loved them. Harry ended up renting a place in Burwood.
Hollander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to see the Easybeats play a lot. From small dives like The Bowl in Castlereagh St, Sydney to the Sydney Stadium where they supported PJ Proby. They blew PJ away and the fans treated them as if they were the headliners. I had not seen anything like "Easyfever" since I saw The Beatles perform in Amsterdam in 1964.

Harry Vanda was married to a girl from the naval estate. She was the sister of my friend Phil Higgins. Harry, a Dutchman like me, was a regular visitor at Phil's house. Sometimes one or more of the other band members were there as well. Occasionally we saw Harry and Snowy with their families at Woronara Dam along the Heathcote Road.

Cheers
Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: