Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos shared by Phil:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairstar1965 fairstar1965 has been starred

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard.
Sorry for the delay in replying to you. I was only 5 at the hostel so was too young to be in the soccer team. I assume you would have played the matches on that playing field featured on my plan (I couldn't recall that field but someone had mentioned it on another site). I attended Hammondville june 1966 to jan 1967. I should have started in May but apparently I was ill with hepatitus after a major outbreak at Heathcote and East Hills Hostels. I wonder if you remember that?

All the best,
Leigh
Very Happy
fairstar1965 fairstar1965 has been starred

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We were in hut 21 which was divided into 4 units. Fascinating stuff about the murder news story. It'd be great to have a complete history of Heathcote Rd. Hostel and East Hills in book form including that and the floods in the 1950s, our experiences arriving off the ship, etc. There's such a lot I don't know, like when the hostels were first built.

All the best,
Leigh Very Happy
McGrime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: The McGinlay's Hut 47 (1965 - 1966) Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
We were a family of 6 in 1966 when we arrived.
Jack & Betty with 4 Kids Martin (Me) 10, Elaine 8, Philip 6 & Anne 4.

We had many friends mostly Scottish, The Carlings, The Grey's, The Merino's & Bob & May Knatt (Pommies) were the closest friends to us.

Dad coached Heathcote Hearts during our time there & I played still remember the big Red V probably St George jumpers...lol.
I remember scoring a goal against Liverpool Rangers we were in front with the wind only to go down 7 - 1.

I married a girl that I met in 1972 in Green Valley only to find out later that she lived in the Naval Camp across the desert with her family in those years.

I attended Heathcote Primary & can remember walking to school through the bush collecting cicadas & any other beasties we came across.

Many a day would be spent climbing the water tanks at the top of the camp or venturing into the army base on the other side of Heathcote road to play on their training grounds & collect dummy bullets.
Dropping bricks off the East Hills walking bridge onto the unsuspecting jellyfish was also a favorite pass time.
It's a wonder we didn't loose anyone after closing time at the East Hills Pub as they wandered back to camp.

Mum is still alive 83 very soon and has excellent memories of this time Dad Jack passed many years ago from Asbestosis he pick up from working in the ship engine rooms during his merchant navy days.

I know I have some old pics somewhere I will try to find and post.

Anyway Cheers to those Years. Martin.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat post Martin,
My twins played in that team too during 1967-71
Look forward to any photos.
Sorry about your Dad.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Managers Hut Reply with quote

Hi Phyl, I tried to 'join up' a few years back, I should have stuck with it. I did at that time catch upp with Nick Brent, we came over on the same boat the Strathaird 1954, we ended up at Cabramatta went to Fairfield High. Dad became a Manager with Hostels, we made various moves around NSW and VIc and back to NSW. Our second last move was to Heathcote, we were in the same Managers Hut that you later occupied, from that hut we moved to the next one up towards the office.
For some years I have tried to find if anybody has/had any knowledge of Lucy Reid last time I saw her I had just joined the Army 1959 and she visited our family at Bunnerong, Pat Kelly the last time I saw her was about 1958 however, I did learn she married a chap from Cabramatta Hostel who also became a 'copper' as I did after the Army, Irene Cross (bottom camp) last time I saw her was about 1956, I did hear that she returned to England as did Lucy.
As a result of the forums herein, Nick and I caught up in Bali after some 50 years as 'lost mates'. Neither of us liked High School at Fairfield, self because I was already in 2nd year in England and put back to 1st year here, so Nick taught me the art of 'wagging school'. I think the best part of High School was 3rd year at Leichardt whilst dad was at Burwood, but growing up as a teenager was memorable at Heathcote and East Hills. Very Happy
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Suicide 60/62...Murder 63 ? Reply with quote

Andrew and Richard, confusion, wrong story or mistaken dates....Monica Schofield murdered Deadmans Creek 1963 ? Gerald Ried (Reed/Read) committed suicide (by hanging) in the family 'hut' 1960...1962 ??
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Old Rockers

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photo's of the Heathcote Road Hostel brought back lots of memories some good some bad, the good memories where of meeting the many new friends we met who were in the same situation, of leaving the family and lifestyle that we left behind in England.
My wife and I and 2 sons arrived on the Hostel 26th April 1965 and left 1967
why we stayed so long on the hostel is a long story but to cut it short I made a wrong investment with our money only to loose the lot!
But we still live in Australia and loving it, almost forgot to mention we had another son born at Blacktown hospital 1969.
On leaving the hostel we bought a house at Seven Hills NSW, for the price of $10,500. which is such a small amount to what it would cost in to days market.
We have had many moves and houses on the way to where we are today after living in Sydney, we moved to Queensland until I retired, and move to Tasmania for 10yrs, until 2008 where we are living at the moment which is Port Macquarie NSW, and we love the place. Its good bye from the two 10 pound poms! Ros And Alan K, thank you Australia
Old Rockers

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Heathcote Road Hostel 1965-67 Reply with quote

Hello Martin reading your Hostel stories brought back fond memories, of the friends and families that we new on the Hostel, I fell sure that I met your family, firstly very sorry to hear of your father Jack has passed away.
Now you mentioned close friend of your family on the hostel, one being the Grey's well the family lived opposite our hut which if I recall was 21d?.
My wife use to look after if Ros recalls there son Martin? also the Merino family which as I recall lived next to very good friend of our Bob & May Knatt & daughter Jacky, in fact Bob and I use to play in the same dart team (The Padstow Arrows).
We also have memories watching the Jelly fish heading up and down the Georges River, also having my first ice cold beer at the East Hills Pub, Ahh those where the days, 1965-67, on the Hostel. Thanks for the memories Martin, all the best from us Alan & Rosalind Kitchin.
Ps I have a photo over looking the hostel from the water tanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Heathcote Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: