Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research for Documentary
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olly Olly has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a child of 11-13 when I was on the hostel I didn't realise that only British people were on it and other nationalities were elsewhere. I find this thread interesting and must ask my Dad about it. I was sure that there was a Polish family on our hostel and certainly the maintenance man was German (I think). I could be wrong about the Polish family but I'm pretty sure about the maintenance man. Then again, maybe he didn't live or hadn't ever lived on this hostel.

When we left the hostel, we moved to Cabramatta and I went to Canley Vale High School. I can remember the first time I heard the Roll Call and had wide eyes and dropped jaw at all the 'wierd' names being called. Greek, Russian, German, Italian, Yugoslavian and everything else. I'd never heard anything like it. Of course, nowadays, I don't bat an eyelid as Fairfield is THE most multicultural area of Australia and I hear all sorts of names. I'm still surprised though when people stumble over mine or think it strange/unusual considering all the other names here!

Cheers
Olly (Olwyn)
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Phyl I can't remember Helga's husband at all, apart from the ones you mentioned I can only recall a couple of the mums working in the kitchens, Mrs Poole and Mrs Coyle.
I also remember a family who stayed on the hostel for 5 years, I found that odd since both parents were working and also two older children were also working. Maybe it was a security thing.
The canteen food I didn't notice whether it was good or bad with the exception of the packed lunch. I was always given a roast beef sandwich, I don't think that I ever had any beef ever, just slices of fat between two thinly buttered pieces of white bread. The Parramatta pigeons thrived very well on my hostel packed lunch. I do agree with you about the tapioca and the sago though.
I remember getting progress reports about the wee joey although I didn't see him for myself, but I didn't hear anything about him picking up a virus, that's sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: