Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know the location of Bradford Park Hostel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again all... I was wondering if anyone has been able to locate a map of the layout of the Bradfield Park hostel - or found access to a site which may carry some old photos - preferrably of the 67-8 era. I spent some time last night going through a few archive-type sites but came up empty.

From memory (loose as it is) as you entered the gates there was a roundabout directly in front of you, with the post office/admin hut immediately to the right as you entered. Beyond the roundabout was what must have been (when it was still the RAAF training school) the parade ground - converted into a sports/play area - with the rec hall to the left (northern end) of the ground and the dining hall to the right (southern end). My family lived in one of the "huts" parallel to Bradfield Park Rd, so on your left as you travelled south before turning left into the main gate. I think there were 3 huts parallel to Bradfield Park Rd between the corner of Moore and the gates and I'm pretty sure we would have been in the middle one.

Would love to see an aerial of the old site though to get my bearings!
Len

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham, welcome to the forums.

I can�t help you with the aerial photos but have tried looking using Google earth. Google earth is a free piece of kit and is amazing. You can go anywhere in the world and have a nosey. I know the huts won�t be there but it�ll give you an idea and maybe stir a few memories as-to the layout etc.

Thanks for the info about there being two Bradfield Park�s. I was left looking like a bit of a lemon (having pointed everyone in the wrong direction). Smile
Catherine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len wrote:
Hi Graham, welcome to the forums.

I can�t help you with the aerial photos but have tried looking using Google earth. Google earth is a free piece of kit and is amazing. You can go anywhere in the world and have a nosey. I know the huts won�t be there but it�ll give you an idea and maybe stir a few memories as-to the layout etc.

Thanks for the info about there being two Bradfield Park�s. I was left looking like a bit of a lemon (having pointed everyone in the wrong direction). Smile

If you go to the Google Maps website and type in Bradfield Road, West Lindfield, NSW, you will get an aerial view of where the hostel was. It's in between Bradfield Road and Lady Game Drive and you will see the CSIRO building there but a large part was recently subdivided (see Squadron Cres) and has multi-million dollar homes (worth a drive around) thereon. If you do 'Street View' you can have a look around on your computer. Cheers!
pjmarner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old photo of the area, not sure if it's the old RAAF training site or the migrant camp. It's a very interesting photo.

I can email it through if you let me know an address.
dooziemusic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: bradfield park hostel Reply with quote

Trish wrote:
Does anyone know the location , address of the Hostel< I would like visit the site . We lived there (1969-70) when migrated and I want to follow up for my Dad.

Hi all I lived in bradfield park from 66 to 68 and had a great time with some really good friends but on my return to the uk lost all contact. we were close to the shops as I remember opposite the doctors hut. I think the number was 365 but memory is fading.
Jan Wright Jan Wright has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Bradfield Park Hostel Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my brother dave just posted (Dooziemusic) and I don't know if he has seen my photos of Bradfield that I took a week before we left. Remind me to show you Dave. I went round to several places on the hostel with three of my friends to take photos. They include the swings, Child minding centre, canteen, The main entrance and, don't ask me why, the Ladies. I will scan them and send them to Len to put on. They are good for a laugh as we are all being a bit silly in some of them but they hold such happy memories.

Bradfield Park May 1966 - June 1968
Len

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bradfield Park Hostel Reply with quote

croxleygirl wrote:
I will scan them and send them to Len to put on. They are good for a laugh as we are all being a bit silly in some of them but they hold such happy memories.

That would be great Jan, can't wait to see them.
Smile
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: National Archives information re Bradfield Hostel Reply with quote

Lots of info at the National Archives of Australia, including a map of the Hostel, with roads and another map with the buildinglayouts. Just search for Bradfield Hostel. FREE!
beckett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just looked on Google Maps and there is a housing estate going up - Macmansion style. I left there aged 9 1/2 at Christmas 1965 but still recognise some landmarks.
Does anyone else remember the hostel school which closed down mid 1965? My brother and I then went on the bus to Gordon Public and Beaumont Road Public eventually agreed to take some students as well.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommed Wikimapia. Its like Google maps, BUT you can add your own stuff to it. Heres an example with East Hills Hostel.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=-33.959237&lon=150.969379&z=16&l=0&m=b&search=east%20hills%20hostel
Les Hutchinson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Bradfield PARK hostel Reply with quote

i was there about 12 months ago .we came out on the SS Mooltan in 1951 and left 1957 . The hostel which was located at Bradfield Park was taken over by National Scales and the area is now known as West Lindfield i was there about 12 months ago .i also found quite a few photos at the National Library site
rollinground

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was there not too long ago. The hostel was bordered by Lady Game Drive on one side, and Bradfield Road on the other side. The northern end of the hostel came up to near where the roundabout now is near the shops. The roundabout wasn't there when I was at the hostel between 63 and 64, but the shops were. And the suburb too is, as said, now called West Lindfield.
Catherine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Catherine"]As a new member it was interesting to read so many not knowing where Bradfield Park Migrant Hostel was and I was pleased to see that it was sorted out via GoogleEarth. I lived there as a child from 1952 (aged 5) to 1958 with a 6 month's trip back to Scotland in between. There was another hostel nearby which housed Australian families. As a child, I enjoyed living on the hostel where my friends and I ran free and ate together in the canteen. We also regularly walked through the bush to swim in Lane Cove River or hopped on a bus and train to North Sydney Olympic Pool. We also visited Lindfield picture theatre on Saturday afternoons and if we had spent all our money on sweets, we'd have to walk home to the hostel. Imagine 9 - 10 year olds doing this today? I think not. During school holidays a Play Centre would be available for the children and we would go on bus trips (singing travelling type songs) to the zoo etc. These are happy memories but I don't know how adults coped as I could never live anywhere like that now. I would enjoy reading other people's memories of life on Bradfield Park Hostel.

I have been contacted by a person who is writing a book about the Australian Hostel which was next door to Bradfield Park Migrant Hostel. He is writing a chapter on our hostel and has asked permission to use my above quote about life on the hostel. I have read the chapter and it's facinating and he's done an amazing amount of research.
rollinground

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine, it was interesting to read how long you were in the hostel, although it was a few years before I was there.

We were given only 12 months in the hostel. My parents had to have found work and a place to live in that time. Work was easy, and they both found employment quite quickly, but I remember we did a fair amount of looking before my parents finally bought a house north of Hornsby. We ended up being in the hostel for about 14 months.

Your memories are a little more rosey than mine. Maybe that's how things changed there in just a few years, who knows. I was glad to get out and I spent the next several years of my life growing up in bushland setting. It was all much better than I could have done if we'd stayed where we were in England.
Catherine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollinground wrote:
Catherine, it was interesting to read how long you were in the hostel, although it was a few years before I was there.

We were given only 12 months in the hostel. My parents had to have found work and a place to live in that time. Work was easy, and they both found employment quite quickly, but I remember we did a fair amount of looking before my parents finally bought a house north of Hornsby. We ended up being in the hostel for about 14 months.

Your memories are a little more rosey than mine. Maybe that's how things changed there in just a few years, who knows. I was glad to get out and I spent the next several years of my life growing up in bushland setting. It was all much better than I could have done if we'd stayed where we were in England.

I find this website a little difficult to navigate and feel that I'm typing this on your quote but I''ll see what happens. Yes, we were on the hostel for a long time as a result of a trip back to Scotland after 2 years which resulted in us not having a lot of money to buy a house on our return. It was called the 'thousand pound cure' in those days which would have been a lot of money. Depends how old you were when staying there I think. Teenagers and children built up many friendships and there was always someone to 'play' with and we loved the primary school. High school was another story. I recently caught up with 4 old friends from the hostel - we hadn't seen each other in over 50 years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: