Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my dad was a skip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: my dad was a skip Reply with quote

hi all...well my names jeanette and ill try and remember my family's life story...we migrated to australia around 64(im shocking with dates so i may be off a few)..we were sent to fairy meadow hostel...my dad had a job at port kembla ...i went to towradgi school for a while...my dad eventually got a job as the skip at the hostel...we were then moved to bradfield park hostel where my dad was the skip there too...we then moved into a house but my dad was still the skip...from there he worked at villawood hostel as the skip...he trained the soccer teams and netball teams...run the rec centres..i do have a few pics of us at fairy meadow ill try and download...well we then moved to a new housing area in mt druitt and for all that know mt druitt it was not as bad then as it is now...we then returned to england around 73 for 12 months...didnt like the cold then came to perth where we have lived ever since...well i think thats it for now..im seeing my mum today and if she remembers any names from back then ill add some and see if anyone knows of them....jeanette
Len

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeanette, welcome to our forums and thank you for the other messages.

I�m sure many will remember your dad as skip. What is his name? and could you tell us roughly which years you father worked at which hostels as skip.

If you have any photos of your families stay at the hostels then please share them with us and email them to me and I�ll add them to the forums because unfortunately there isn�t a facility on these forums which allow members or anyone to upload pics, I have to do it manually. Once I have received your pic�s I�ll add your families name to them etc before uploading.

Smile
jeanette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: my dad was a skip Reply with quote

hi all..well, ill start with a bit about my family...we migrated to australia as 10 pound poms and was placed in fairy meadow hostel..there was mum and dad and me and my 2 sisters..i was 7 my sisters were 4 and 18 months..dads job was at port kembla to start with...my mum tells me he was always helping out with the skip at the time and from there got the job as the skip at bradfield park where we moved to and lived for a couple of years...which would have been around 67...we migrated in 65..we then moved into a house and dad left bradfield park to work at villawood hostel as the skip...his name was John Pelleymounter...not a name you forget in a hurry Laughing ...i vaguely remember the hostel days..i remember going to towradgi primary school...going to the beach across from the hostel..i do have a few pictures from those days ill try and add...i even still have a school report from towradgi..of course with dad being the skip we did get involved with a lot of sports...i remember going to other hostels playing netball...dundas was one i think we went to a lot..well as i get more info from mum and dad ill add more...

jeanette
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember your Dad Jeanette,My late husband was a manager with CHL and we would have caught up with your dad. I don't suppose he knows where John Shea and his family are these days. He was a "Skip" too as were Neville Pitt later in charge of all youth activities George Marley etc. etc. Neville was a very dear friend of ours ,like family and we spent so many happy times at his place with his dad. My boys played soccer and cricket for the hostels we were in.
This wonderful site makes it a small world where we can catch up on many people who were familiar to us. I'm sure your dad will recognise my late husband ,Tony Hobbs's name. Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeanette.
Was talking to my son last night. He remembers your father very well and would love to make contact. My late husband was a manager with CHL.I think I told you in a previous post I remember him. My surviving twin would I'm sure also remember. My eldest son lives in N.S.W. Smile
jeanette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi phyl...ive contacted dad and hes trying to join up...im trying to help him at the moment lol...he will reply as soon as hes on
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Jeanette I look forward to it and I'll try to get Murray,my son, to join up too. Very Happy
Len

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new member called "j pelley" and I suspect thats John. I have activated his account manually, so he should be able to login using his user name and secret password.
If your having problems with the secret password Jeanette then pm me and I'll reset it for you. You can always change it later, to one of your choice.

Smile
pelley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all i was a 10pound migrant from uk .arrived at fairy meadow hosel 13 may 1965 worked for the ais for a whileworkrked in kembla coal mines . but did a bit of work with thechild minding center called the recration hall the main man was called skip (george marley}great guy lost all contact with the hostel people. but i think this sitecould bring back lots of memories for lots of people. i got a job as skip at bradfield park hostel 3 days a week the other 2 days i did bunnerong hostelweek ends was spent doing the soccer netball and cricket in the summer seasonmet lots of people and the social life was great .yes i knew tony very well sorry he is no longer with us.was a great guy and helped every one. after bunnerrong closed down i did 2 days a week at dundas were were the hobbs family was at. if ever i needed any help phyl and tony was always there. well have to leave still doing a bit of sports 3 times a week bowls have to go and get ready . but now im in well get back to you all hope to hear from all who remember the good days
jeanette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like he got in i see he put pelley as his name...i know he tried a few times
Len

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, it�s great you�ve joined us.
I knew George Marley/ skip from when our family arrived at Unanderra Hostel in 1967 to around 1969 when we left, I wasn�t sure of his name until lately (Thanks to everyone here).
He was a great bloke and did anything for us kids. He transported us everywhere, soccer matches, swimming lessons and on occasions, when it was very hot, he would take a van load of us kids to the Port Kemble Olympic swimming pool.
I vaguely remember the van he had. It was a grey or maybe dark blue Volkswagen type thingy. I remember it was a bit of a bone shaker and there were cobwebs everywhere within it. Mr. Green

Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too ,remember George well. He later went onto the managerial staff.
Thankyou for the nice things you said about us John.Tony was a good fellow and died way to young at age 48yrs.He certainly would have loved this site and catching up with friends from hostel days. And of course John you would remember our dear friend Neville Pitt. We
had so many happy times with Nev. and his Dad. Nev. also died way too young.
Will have to post with your help Len, my children.I'm sure you would recognise them John,though you would have seen many children. My son Murray certainly remembers you.
Anyway hope you enjoy this great site,Len has given us.
Very Happy
malcthemod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jeanette my name is malcolm wilson i remember your dad well i lived at bradfield park in 1967 always playing football with him and winning the intar hostal football comp
My names Malcolm Wilson i arrived in Australia in Dec '66 with my family margret,colin,martin and noel wilson. we spent time in Villawood then Bradfield park then finished our two years in burwood where we returned back to england in dec 68.
jeanette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi malcolm..what age would you have been when you were at bradfield park?..i would have been 9 in 67...i vaguely remember those days lol..why did you go back to england?..and where in england are you?..dad has actually joined this site too...he may remember names better than me...he would have been at villawood when you were there too cos he went to villawood after bradfield park..
malcthemod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jeanette i was 11 in 67 i went to boumont road primary we came back to the uk because my mum hatted it silly women i loved it i no where thay get the saying wingging pom from my mum started it haha we live in ipswich suffolk how about you have you ever been back to the uk ? tell your dad ive still got the gold medal we won for the football comp on the back it says bradfield park soccer rep 1967 great times
My names Malcolm Wilson i arrived in Australia in Dec '66 with my family margret,colin,martin and noel wilson. we spent time in Villawood then Bradfield park then finished our two years in burwood where we returned back to england in dec 68.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: