Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dundas Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GinaKate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Dundas Hostel Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can tell me the date it was closed for migrant dwelling. I remember it being used in the 70s for the signing out of soldiers returning from Vietnam. Can anyone tell me anything more detailed?
Margaret B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dundas Hostel Reply with quote

GinaKate wrote:
I wonder if anyone can tell me the date it was closed for migrant dwelling. I remember it being used in the 70s for the signing out of soldiers returning from Vietnam. Can anyone tell me anything more detailed?

I do know of someone who visited the site in the seventies after it was demolished. I will try to find out more for you. I visisted it myself and it was sad to see the broken remains of footpaths and general neglect.
Margaret B
Sandra.armstrong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina.
I grew up in Bettington Rd just up from the Migrant Hostel. My brother still lives there and I visit once a year (I now live 600kms north of Sydney). Not sure of when the hostel ceased being a migrant hostel but the buildings were demolished in the early 80s and the site was developed as a fairly affluent housing estate. I will take some photos when next I'm down there and post them n this site.
Cheers,
Sandra Armstrong (Cowan)
Sandra.armstrong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina.
I grew up in Bettington Rd just up from the Migrant Hostel. My brother still lives there and I visit once a year (I now live 600kms north of Sydney). Not sure of when the hostel ceased being a migrant hostel but the buildings were demolished in the early 80s and the site was developed as a fairly affluent housing estate. I will take some photos when next I'm down there and post them n this site.
Cheers,
Sandra Armstrong (Cowan)
AJ Reed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived on Dundas Migrant Hostel 1968-69 and went to Oatlands School. I was in the same class as Janet Cowan (maybe Sandra's sister or cousin). As �10 Poms we had no choice of hostel but we found that Dundas was one of the better ones and not too big. As we were a self contained unit we tended not to mix with the Australian kids out of school (and vice versa) and we stayed within the hostel boundaries most of the time, which was a shame as we were trying to come to terms with a totally different way of life but instead we tended to stick with what we knew. It must have been difficult also for the Australian's to have a large influx of immigrants descend into their lives. Maybe because of this, we decided not to settle in Australia and returned back to England January 1970 with very mixed emotions.
sparky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra, I lived on Dundas Hostel from 1961-1963 when my family moved to a house in front of Dundas Station. I went to Oatlands for 5th and 6th class (1961-1962).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Dundas Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: