Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills Hostel 1958till 1963

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda1952

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: East Hills Hostel 1958till 1963 Reply with quote

Hi all just been forwarded this site. wow! the memories are flooding back. We (that is me mum dad and brother arrived at East Hills Hostel 1958till 1963. I belonged to the oldfriends and posted many photos there also made contact with many an old friend from those days. I have old school photos from the Hammondville School days.
Love to talk to others who remember those days.
I am now living in NZ married with four wonderful grown children two beautiful granddaughters.
linda Smile
cruzyandrew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda
I went to Hammondville from March 1960 until Dec 1962. My sister Margaret Barrett was there at the same time. If you were friends with Monica then you are probably more my age than Margarets.
If we hadnt come to New Zealand then we would of all started High School at the same time.
We were at Heathcote, on the bottom row next to the road to East Hills right opposite the track that went to the creek.

I live in Ch CH (NZ) but spend a bit of time in Australia and have been back to where Heathcote was and also to the school several times.
Funny how the parents generally hated these places but we kids loved it!!
Len

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda and welcome. wave

cruzyandrew wrote:

Funny how the parents generally hated these places but we kids loved it!!

I think our parents may have expected a little too much when they arrived in Au. I believe that the adverts/ promotions (1950�s -60�s) about moving to Australia were a little ott (over the top), not to mention, also having been treated like kings and queens for 6 weeks on board ship. It must have been a bit of a shock for them when they discovered that they had actually moved to a camp, a camp that was located in the middle of nowhere etc. but we as kids also loved it. Smile
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Recruitment Film Reply with quote

I recall my Dad taking me to the Kelvin Hall, in Glasgow. We watched a film that was a recruitment film for Australia. I remember that part of the film was about the wonderful apples grown in Tasmania. Everyone was smiling and happy of course. It turned out that they were happy too!
As for the long sailing trip, we didnt have it. We flew over in a 707. The Captain was a very well known pilot. I have a copy of the BOAC Junior Jet Club badge and log book. We seemed to land a lot as the 707 had to refuel. Not like these days.
ninette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I was at East Hills and went to Hammondville Primary 1962/1963. I was the Girl School Captain Glynis Ross and the boy SC was Robert Dransfield (who I've contacted since) Remember the tuck shop? Besides the pies I loved a cake called a Matchstick which consisted of layers of flakey pastry , jam and cream.This was when I didn't take my little paper bag with sandwiches, cake and fruit. Were you on the school bus when there was a dead horse on the road on the way to school? In that heat it was really smelly. We used to play on the Army Dump. I remember the queues we formed at the bus sops after school and so much more. I also live in Auckland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: