Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabramatta Hostel 1954 - 1959

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brenty

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel 1954 - 1959 Reply with quote

Hi all, Just paid my first visit to Cabramatta Hostel since 1960. My family was there 1954 - 1959. Everything is different today. Like to hear from anyone who knew my family. I was 12 in 1954 and had a brother Trevor, sister Virginia and another sister Dealia. Joined the Migrantweb forum today.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Brent,
I was at Cabramatta at the time you were there. My late husband Tony Hobbs was one of the managers there 1956-1958. You may or may not remember him.
I have put some posts on the forum.Would love to hear some of your memories. Smile
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I mean Nick Embarassed Embarassed
Brenty

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy Phyl, Nice to hear from you. I went into the National records online and saw all the plans of the hostel We were in 112B Sorry to hear that you hubby passed on. I remember a manager there called Benson. I thing that was early days in our stay. Where do you live nowadays? I am out at St Clair near Penrith.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,
I remember Bob Benson, though he was in charge of maintainance.Trying to remember who the manager's were at that time.
Some of the residents I had contact with were families Gibbons,Dorsmans,a boy called William and others whose names escape me.And knew many staff. We were there again in 1965 when Mr. Dudman was manager in charge. and many of the same staff were there.There are a couple of posts there about my time at "Cabra"
I now live back in my own country of New Zealand. We spent 18 and 1/2 years in Commonwealth Hostels Ltd.
Tony's father was also a manager with the company and died while we were at Cabramatta the first time.
barbara gregory barbara gregory has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New member today Reply with quote

[quote="Brenty"]Hi all, Just paid my first visit to Cabramatta Hostel since 1960. My family was there 1954 - 1959. Everything is different today. Like to hear from anyone who knew my family. I was 12 in 1954 and had a brother Trevor, sister Virginia and another sister Dealia. Joined the Migrantweb forum today.[/quote]
hi nick i remember your family i was friends with your virginia and dealia visited your house a few times after you left would love to know if your sisters remember me barbara lloyd
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brenty

Our family were in 113 AB. Not at the same time as you, though. We were on the Hostel from Jan 1964 - Nov 1965. Interesting though.

All the best.

Ken
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara,
We would have been at Cabramatta when you were there.We were there October 1956-late 1957.You may remember my late husband who was at that time one of the managers.My children were only a two year old and 8 month old twins so you would not have known them.My husband, Tony Hobbs, was chubby. Smile
snazzyannie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am Anne Medhurst, we were in Cabramatta somewhere 1954-55 not sure when we moved
not sure which hut we were in if I can find the map iI will look it up
I haven't thought of Cabramatta for a long time
but am looking at writing my life story and it has bought up lots of memories
Cabramatta being one of them.

both my brothers John and Paul, plus Mum and Dad Lily and Harry Medhurst
are gone now.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Memories and Moves Reply with quote

Hi Snazyann, from the Hostel did you 'move on' locally or return 'home', my sister (Carol) and I were 11 and 12 year olds whilst there, a very 'star struck' Nick was 'in love' with my 'stuck up' sister, he leaving 'love letters' in the sugar bowl for her, only for mum to find them. I didnt know at the time, but he told me a couple of years ago when we caught up in Bali after some 50 years later.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
chickalow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Football Reply with quote

Hi Nick,
I was on the hostel in 1954-1956 and acquainted with brother Trevor. Trying to remember which one of you was most renowned for their Goalkeeping abilities... it was 60 years ago after all.
Chickalow
Wright

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

You may be able to help me. I am looking for info, stories or photos of my grandparents/ the hostel from the year 1956 to approx 1959. My dad lived at the hostel for about 2-3 years.
My family details are:

Pop: Brian Vincent Wright (33 yo* when living here).
Nan: Muriel Jean Wright (32 yo* when living here).
Dad: Stewart Vincent Wright (born 1956).
Also: Aunty Brenda and Aunty Muriel Anne who where older than my dad.

My grandparents came from England in 1955 on the 'M. N. Fairsea'.

Do you know them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: