Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Layout Drawings of Migrant Hostels Available
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Layout Drawings of Migrant Hostels Available Reply with quote

All: I now have received notification that the general layout drawings of several Migrant Hostels are available. I have downloaded the following list of hostels which Im quite happy to send to anyone via email. Some of them are in two or three files.
The layouts are Findbury, Gawler, Glenelg, Smithfield, Villawood, Littleton, Orange, Cronulla, Balgownie, Berkeley, Bradfield Park, Bunnerong, Broughton, Cabramatta, Dundas, East Hills, Mayfield, Nelsons Bay, St Marys, Unanderra, . They are all from the early to late 1950�s.

Alternatively, they are now available for general download via the National Archives of Australia, Barcode 3354383 when searching for it. Or just search under the name East Hills Hostel. The NAA policy is that its ok to share for personnel or research reasons, but not for resale.
The drawings show the main roads and the Nissen Hut numbers, but you will have to zoom in using your photo viewer to see the numbers clearly.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to be able to access the layout to either Dundas or East Hills what am I doing wrong?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GinaKate wrote:
I don't seem to be able to access the layout to either Dundas or East Hills what am I doing wrong?

Kate, there is no way to directly upload pics to this site. They have to be emailed to Len. I have done this, but naturally, it takes him a little while to upload them to the site. He has already emailed me back and he is a little committed in other places for a few days or so. If you want me to send you the drawings, I can do so directly. Send me a PM with your email addy and I will send them to you. Kindest regards, Richard Hallford.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. I'm getting my diaries in order and the layout map will be nice to have. I'm so glad I found this site.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their photos, just viewing a photo of a nissan hut brings back a flood of memories, things I havn't thought about in years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GinaKate wrote:
Thanks Richard. I'm getting my diaries in order and the layout map will be nice to have. I'm so glad I found this site.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their photos, just viewing a photo of a nissan hut brings back a flood of memories, things I havn't thought about in years.

Im going to be uploading a few more photos of Nissen huts very shortly at East Hills courtesty other folks who were there. Some of them are extremely good. Included in my last batch was the Florida Cafe. The one on the corner of the shops at East Hills township. Im sure that many of us went in there on the way back from Sydney, as the train used to terminate there. Richard
GinaKate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to you posting those.

Did you get my pm, it seems to be sitting in my outbox? I can't see a 'send button'
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard for taking the time to send me the layouts. I was quite excited, I have printed them out and have them set in my diary already.

There are houses built on the Dundas site now, even the managers house, telephone and post box have gone, but even though I am happy to see life continuing on the old grounds, it is nice to know that a map of a big part of our start in Australia is important enough to be kept on record.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Drawings Reply with quote

GinaKate wrote:
Thanks Richard for taking the time to send me the layouts. I was quite excited, I have printed them out and have them set in my diary already.

There are houses built on the Dundas site now, even the managers house, telephone and post box have gone, but even though I am happy to see life continuing on the old grounds, it is nice to know that a map of a big part of our start in Australia is important enough to be kept on record.

Your welcome. I, probably like others, was a 10 year old boy when I went to the Hostels. What an adventure. And such a change of culture between my Scottish life and the Hostel life in a new country. It couldnt fail to have a huge impact and at 53 Ive now got that nostalgia thingy happening. There is more information on the National Archives of Australia which I am accessing at the moment and I will make it avail to all if they want it. Regards, Richard.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GinaKate hi,
Talking about Dundas makes me so nostalgic. Lived there twice once in 1964 and then again in 1966 for a couple of years or so. Lived in both houses as Tony was asst manager and then Manager in charge there.I think there is a picture of the manager in charge's house I took when we lived there. If I didn't send it I'll send it in to Len to jog your memory.Have photos of the chef and a cook and have memories posted on the Dundas forum. We went to two weddings while we were there, both were the children of staff. What wonderful memories I have of Dundas.
Smile
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been nostalgic about Dundas since I left Phyl. I do wonder about the two weddings you attended, I must know who they were. You and I seem to have crossed paths at that same time. I do remember you. I remember you and your boys in the canteen at dinner time. You probably would'nt remember me because I was a teenager keeping a low profile at the time. I don't remember you in the assistant manager's accomodation, (just the German man) but I do remember you in the manager's house.

Last edited by GinaKate on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just a change of culture between your Scottish culture and the Ozzy way of life to adapt to Richard, but even on the hostel, it was an interchange of cultures. It was a levelling of everyone who came together. We had a common ground, and we were all in this together.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardhallford wrote:

They have to be emailed to Len.

Hi Richard
I finally got round to sorting some of them out. They were a little bit tricky to put back together but I�ve managed it (in a fashion).
The images of the hostel plans that I�ve uploaded are a little small (due to the size of the forums pages) but at least they give everyone an idea as to how they were and besides, we can always visit the National Archives of Australia for a more detailed plan, now that you've pointed it out.

I really appreciate your efforts of searching, finding and ultimately paying for the copies you acquired. I hope by posting your copies I don�t get into any bother (copy right etc) But we�ll see. The copies I�ve posted aren�t perfect and I�ve also advised everyone to visit the official site, so touch wood, that should help.

Smile
Pamie Pamie has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: maps of Victorian hostels Reply with quote

Hi Richard

I noticed that many of the hostels that there are plans of are located in NSW. Would you know of any that have been accessed in the NAA from the Victorian cluster of hostels?

thanks and regards
Pamie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Hostel Layouts Reply with quote

Pamie, I have not actually searched for them sorry. The documents seem to be sprayed all over the place with no apparent reasoning in them. You would have to search the NAA for any hostels that you wanted by name, or pump in "Migrant Hostels" or "Commonwealth Hostels" as an initial search and then filter from there. Also to complicate it, you also have to search the Photosearch as well as the Recordsearch areas seperately too. Sorry. You perhaps could have a look at the National Picture Library of Australia also. Regards, Richard.
Pamie Pamie has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hi Richard

No problems, I've been searching for quite a while at the NAA with not much luck so far. But will have a look at what series and agency the maps come under and see whether I can go from there again.

Thanks so much for the information!
regards
Pamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: