Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Layout Drawings of Migrant Hostels Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Midway info Reply with quote

Pamie, Im not sure what sort of information you are after, but I did a quick search of Victorian Migran Hostels and there is quite a bit of info there. I also noticed that, unlike NSW, the Arrivals and Departures books were available for each Hostel separetely. These documented families names, allocated quarters numbers, forwarding addresses etc, from 1950's right up to 1978. (NAA does not hold material less than 30 years old). It would appear that no one has accessed these books so far (maybe because they have to pay). I thought the information regarding the existence of these books might be of interest to other people also. Good way of finding your freinds names that you had forgotten. Regards, Richard
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tiny bit of info on Victoria available at the Public Record Office in North Melbourne (Villiers Street). You need to go in personally, and perhaps get them to order an item from elsewhere, it takes a few weeks. I went in on spec one day and had a rare old time hoking through a register of arrivals and departures of Brooklyn Hostel in the late 50's. Recognised many names. It seems you had to sign out even if you were going to hospital or a work location for a few days.
AnaLevar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Bunnerong Reply with quote

I would love to see the plan for Bunnerong Hostel if it is still available.
Pamie Pamie has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Bunnerong Reply with quote

Dear AnaLever

There is a plan of Bunnerong in the National Archives Adelaide office under series D2998, control symbol 1, the maps date to the early 1950s. You'll find it on the NAA website. You could contact them and ask if you don't live in that state. There'll likely be more things about Bunnerong in the Sydney office as well if you're up for it.

Richard Hallford would probably know more than me here, so he may add to your request

Good luck
Pamie
AnaLevar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pamie...that's a great help!
Spike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Layout Drawings of Migrant Hostels Available Reply with quote

richardhallford wrote:
All: I now have received notification that the general layout drawings of several Migrant Hostels are available. I have downloaded the following list of hostels which Im quite happy to send to anyone via email. Some of them are in two or three files.
The layouts are Findbury, Gawler, Glenelg, Smithfield, Villawood, Littleton, Orange, Cronulla, Balgownie, Berkeley, Bradfield Park, Bunnerong, Broughton, Cabramatta, Dundas, East Hills, Mayfield, Nelsons Bay, St Marys, Unanderra, . They are all from the early to late 1950�s.

Alternatively, they are now available for general download via the National Archives of Australia, Barcode 3354383 when searching for it. Or just search under the name East Hills Hostel. The NAA policy is that its ok to share for personnel or research reasons, but not for resale.
The drawings show the main roads and the Nissen Hut numbers, but you will have to zoom in using your photo viewer to see the numbers clearly.

Hello Richard, and thank you for this information. I have trawled the Archives site and can't find where to download these plans, I am particularly interested in the Smithfield SA Hostel.

I wiil send you my email address by PM and would be most grateful if you could either email them to me or send me the link where i could download them myself.

Cheers,
Spike.
Katherine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: NAA Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, I had a look at the hostel site plans on NAA as I lived on 3 of them Mayfield Cabramatta and Burwood. Cheers K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: