Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matraville

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Matraville Reply with quote

Because of a group, on the Redbubble.com website, called: The Family Album, I have been digging out (and wrecking photo albums) pictures of my time in the hostel, in Pozieres Ave, Matraville and then in Flint Street, Matraville (Now Hillsdale) afterwards.
Hope you can have a look some time.......
(If you crossed Bunnerong Road, coming out of Flint Street, you walked into Bunnerong Hostel (in those days).
And....if you do have some time, I hope you'll have a read here , as well.
Jo Mulholland (was Joop Mul), calling myself: Ozcloggie.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Matraville Reply with quote

Hi Joop, we were there for a few weeks end of 1954 early 1955. The Hostel was empty then and under repairs, I remember helping the buildres nail the floor boards to the board walks between rooms. From here we could ride push bikes over the sand dunes to the nearby beach (Coogee ?). The other kids at the Hostel were also with parents undergoing Management Training. We did end up at Bunnerong about 4 or 5 years later.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: