Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Altona/Wiltona Hostel, Melbourne
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sad that we left early 1964, sounds like all the fun started around then and continued till 1965 . Thats me all over, miss all the good times, never mind I will just have to make up for it.
stribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in Australia 50 years in November this year, a reason to celebrate, left on October 8th 1960, does anyone know what date I would have gotten here, can't remember, I think it was latish November
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we came in '63 we left Southampton on the 3rd May and arrived here either the 3rd or 4th June, can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was a Wednesday, so it won't be hard to find out........ok, just checked and it seems that the Wednesday was the 5th so I guess that is when we arrived. Hope that helps you with your calculations Pat.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can contact both McManus families, my sister has told the one in Werribee already and they're very keen, and I will contact the other family in Geelong. There is also the Gilpins, who I saw at the last McManus funeral. Their Mum is still alive, as are Marie, Robert, William and John.
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:
When we came in '63 we left Southampton on the 3rd May and arrived here either the 3rd or 4th June, can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was a Wednesday, so it won't be hard to find out........ok, just checked and it seems that the Wednesday was the 5th so I guess that is when we arrived. Hope that helps you with your calculations Pat.

Hi Susan, I think we arrived on a Friday Night. Rolling Eyes ....Mum
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was sure it was a Wednedsay, lol. I also thought it was around the 2nd or so, but that doesn't fit in with Wednesday or Friday, go figure. The only records I can find only indicate the day we left England, not the date we arrived here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:
Funny, I was sure it was a Wednedsay, lol. I also thought it was around the 2nd or so, but that doesn't fit in with Wednesday or Friday, go figure. The only records I can find only indicate the day we left England, not the date we arrived here.

Hi Susan, Just asked dad could he remember the day we arrived in OZ and right away he said "Friday I think" and I remember it was very early in June, we left England on the 5th it was delayed from the 3rd and I feel it was on a Thursday that we left.
Maybe you can sort it out better now.

Love Mum
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mum,

According to the immigration records we DID leave on the 3rd. I thought we were meant to leave on the 2nd and it was delayed one day. Pat Sutton's birthday was on the 2nd and I wasn't going to be able to go to her party as we were due to leave the day before, but I was able to go as we were to leave that night. I have looked everywhere for the date that the Fairsky docked in Melbourne, but seems there are no records of that around now. Sad Wonder if Doreen or Nora can remember?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:
Hi Mum,

According to the immigration records we DID leave on the 3rd. I thought we were meant to leave on the 2nd and it was delayed one day. Pat Sutton's birthday was on the 2nd and I wasn't going to be able to go to her party as we were due to leave the day before, but I was able to go as we were to leave that night. I have looked everywhere for the date that the Fairsky docked in Melbourne, but seems there are no records of that around now. Sad Wonder if Doreen or Nora can remember?

Or the Dennerleys. But those dates are not familiar to me at all. My dates are 5th we left and 3rd we arrived, but then again records don;t lie, do they?????? It gets curiouser and curiouser, maybe we never got here. lol
bobdennerley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: BOB DENNERLEY Reply with quote

Hi Sue sorry havent had a chance to respond yet as ive been on a cruise reminded me of our original emigration trip was it fair sky or was it the fair star? ill try to find out the exact dates of passage. Eleen I was in the group that took food across to the swaggy. I remember with other kids thowing rocks at his shack then finally made friends with him, Some of us were real little deliquin shits! how can i get cross at my kids! did anybody join us on our sat morning trips from mobile town station to the nexty station to get to the cinemas. Our parent5s use to give uis two bob, one bob for the terain and one for the pictutres. I was just 6 with no parent taking me. As soon as i can get my primitve old school brain to work out hiow ti get a photo online i will put one of us coming down the gang plank wiht a que in the background.
eileen eileen has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you was with me when went to give that fella with some food. I sometimes wonder if half the things i have done i dreamt up.
Clarebear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Hostel resident from 1960 Reply with quote

Hi All
I posted this in the introduction forum but it probably belongs here
My name is Clare.
Arrival date: 11 Apr 1960 Melbourne
Ship: Fair Sky
Hostel: Williamstown (Altona)
Time in hostel around 3 to 4 months
Age at arrival: 7 yrs
Family: mother father and 2 younger sisters.

Memories: Exhibition Hall Melbourne for health checks.
Contracted mumps on board ship which was identified soon after arrival and spent first week in Australia in Fairfield Infectious diseases hospital. (What a thing to do to a scared child!)
Mum hid sisters who caught mumps after me from the hostel authorities.
Mum and dad complained it rained as much as it did in England
Rising flood waters in nearby creek nearly led to our evacuation from the hostel.

I imagine there were 1000s of people each year going through the hostel system. Does anyone know how many people are posting here associated with Altona?
Best wishes
Clare
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clare;

There are quite a few of us from Altona hostel who are now in touch via this forum, some of whom were there in 1961. How long were you on the hostel? What was your surname when there and where do you live now? Are you able to make it to the hostel reunion in April?
Clarebear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan and thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Time in hostel around 3 to 4 months

Because we had left by August of 1960, I have only basic memories of the hostel. My parents were very keen to move out quickly, prompted by the basic facilities of hostel life and what my father described as the "whinging pom" attitude of some migrants about Australia and Australians. My family moved several times around Victoria before moving to Qld in 1964. They never regretted coming to Australia as it offered so many more opportunities than post war Britain and the climate was definitely a plus. I currently live in Brisbane - good luck with the reunion!
stribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: clarebear Reply with quote

I arrived in late 1960, I live on the Gold Coast, a little older than you I am 60, where in Brisbane do you live
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: