Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Families I remember from Altona Hostel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information regarding the Fitzgeralds, Noel the son was a very close friend of my son David and he would like to know how he is going on...
Ithink both Noel and David supported Geelong, not Collingwood.

Regards Olwen
stribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Seaholme for a short time as I was almost ready for high school and it was a great school, one of my kids went there too before we moved over to Vermont, two daughters went to the preschool near the railway line crossing in Seaholme and they loved it too. I remember waiting at mobiltown station one day to go to my friends place in Yarraville and the train came but it said City, so I didnt get on it, then another came and it said City so I didnt get on it, then the third time the train driver actully got out of his cabin as he had recognized me being there for 3 hours and said where the hell are you going, and I said Yarraville and he said get on the bloody train and get of at Newport and onto a city train and get off a Yarraville, I was so stupid Ithought the train had to say Yarraville. I had loads of friends who didnt live on the hostel and when they came to play for the day, they thought it was a great place and raved about it at School, I went to Williamstown High and although I thought of myself a a second hand citizen for living in a hostel they thought I was so lucky to have so many friends to play with and so much to do, all they did at home was ride there bikes around the street. I loved going to there houses as there mums cooked me nice dinners as they thought I must have dreadfull food, they always sent me away with goodies to give to my mum, home made cakes and things, I never mad them any the wiser that our food was ok and plenty of it
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a laugh!
I was in Altona today, Bruce went to see his uncle at a nursing home at Altona Meadows. We had pizza on a bench overlooking Cherry Lake and watched the ducks. I thought of you. Then I took our child on a long walk and pointed out all the old places. Bruce and I were married at St. Mary's, I only went to school there for 3 weeks at the end of grade 6. Bruce went there a lot longer, being 5 years younger than me. Altona is full of trendy cafes now, with outside tables.We couldn't get over how buzzing Pier Street was for a Sunday.
miranda12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olwen
I remember that incident getting my fingers caught in that mans car door ,while going to work i even finished my shift a the hospital
HA HA Margaret, :
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other names remembered from the hostel,
Dennerley, Suart and Marie and their boys. Moved to Braybrook.
Livesy, Bill and Rita and their boys. I baby sat occasionally. Moved to Doveton, now in Apollo Bay.

I remember the Logan's especially Jackie who was the same age as my sister Dianne. He kept hitting her, so she took a stick to protect herself the next time. She then decided she wanted to swing over a fence, but being worried that Jackie may come along and steal the stick while she was doing it, she put the stick in her mouth......lengthways. Of course, as she swung, the stick hit the ground and was pushed into her mouth nearly ripping her tongue out. I think that is one thing she will remember of the hostel.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows of the whereabouts of the Eaton's it would be great if you could let me know. Linda was my friend, and we kept in contact once we left the hostel but lost contact after the mid to late 70's. Linda was then living in Bacchus Marsh and her parents were in Melton. There was a younger brother too, I think his name was Glen or Grant; something starting with G anyway.
alison weedon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Families I remember from Altona Hostel Reply with quote

WOW what a memory you have I was googling today and came across this site unbelievable. We were at the hostel but I dont remember for how long but after reading some of the posts some memories have retuned. I just remember always wanting my dad to come home from work. We entered the hostel in March of 63. My name is alison tibos
aussietrekker wrote:
I'll also include where they moved to (if I know.) As I mostly didn't know the parent's names, I'll only list the children.

HOUSTON was my own name. (Judith,Martin and Colette.) We went to Altona for 8 years, and then Werribee. Next door was MCKEEMAN- Danny, Margaret, Carol and Christine. They went to Brisbane, and came back to Laverton. Next to them was TIBOS- Peter, Paul, Alison, David and a baby. They went to Broadmeadows. We also had HINDLE next door- Sandra, Martin and Deborah. They went to Altona and I think Werribee later on. Across the way was SIMONDS- Carol, Wendy and Kay. They went back to England the following year.

KINNER- Karen and Stuart (Epping)
MINTO- Howard, Elizabeth, Jim, Margaret (North Altona)
EATON - Linda, Gillian
HIGGINS- Jim, John, George (back to Ireland)
HANSLIK- Kenny and Angela (Box Hill)
KAY- Ailsa
MCMANUS- Louis, Noreen, Mary-Jo, Margaret, Antony (Werribee)
MCMANUS- Ranvag, Frank, Max (Laverton)
DEKONING- Rita, Annika, John, Paul
MATTHEWS- Jacqueline, Maxine, Paula
WERNER- Margaret
GORING- Margaret
MARTIN- Audrey
DRAKE- Pat, Donald, Alan (Melton)

YOUNG, SCANLON, MYERS, WRIGHT, DYKE, ORR, VISSER

will add more as I remember. Smile
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Hi Alison, I was talking to Marion Mclean tonight, and she used to babysit for your mum, we lived next to your family on the hostel, I can picture your mum now, she was a fab lady, always had time for us. say hello to her for me. Caroline xxx
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison,

Welcome to the forum. Where are you now, and will you be able to get to the reunion next year?
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alison, I remember your family so well, being two doors away. Your Ma loved a laugh, and I have a great story about a joke that was played on her, did she ever tell you about getting hit in the face by a big sloppy fish?
stribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone remember Gwen Cross or June McBride, they were my friends around 1963, went to Williamstown High School
stribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one came to me in the middle of the night, Anne Acton, does anyone remember her and where we could get in touch, she was one of the popular girls that all the boys liked, like Angela and Annette, and not forgetting Linda, who was the girlfriend of my current husband Roland Stockton
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Ann Acton well and also June McBride she had a brother I believe who I was quite keen on ,come to think of it I was keen on a lot of the lads..oh dear doesn't sound too good does it.
I have just seen some wicked photos that Doreen Griffin sent to our Linda,oh what memories they bring back,The Griffins,Myers,Gillets,Playfore,Hewitt,Frost,and lots more,some great shots of the grandstand as well.
I will send them to Len and see if we can get them on here Laughing Laughing
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Frosts, yeah I remember them. They moved to Braybrook too, about 8 houses down the street from us. Don't know where they are now though. Susan was going out with a Braybrook boy name Philip LeSeur (not sure of the spelling) who I had a crush on. They were pretty serious, but I don't know if they got married. Lyn and I were friends, but lost contact when I left home to go nursing.
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:
The Frosts, yeah I remember them. They moved to Braybrook too, about 8 houses down the street from us. Don't know where they are now though. Susan was going out with a Braybrook boy name Philip LeSeur (not sure of the spelling) who I had a crush on. They were pretty serious, but I don't know if they got married. Lyn and I were friends, but lost contact when I left home to go nursing.

Lynn Frost is living in Caroline Springs....We saw her on a Delfin Homes advetisement on TV sometime ago.

Your mum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: