Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wacol Hostel..Queensland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabre

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol,
I've been trying to place Stewart but am having trouble with it. I keep coming back to a guy that used to turn up in an MG sports car, would that be him? It's funny how some things stick in your mind about the past. I'm terrible with names but remember incidents quite well. I got up and sang at a social on the hostel one night and found the true meaning of stagefright, I was terrible, off key, out of tune, you name it I did it. To make it worse Ray came up and did some numbers straight after and was just too good. I still suffer embarrassment to this day thinking about it. Embarassed As you say, everybody wanted to be in a band.
Most of the people I hung around with were slightly older than me and the only Naylors I remember are Mick and Rochelle. I can also remember Margaret Lyndsay, I think that's the right spelling. A Scottish girl, I wonder why I remember the girls names rather than the boys ..... funny that. Very Happy
Hopefully I'll remember more as things jog my memory.
Cheers
Kevin
Paul64

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin & Carol,
I remember Kevin from the hostel years and traveling into Brisbane, going to a club called the Scene as well as the Red Orb. I also remember going to the airport to see the Stones arrival. I still have photos of various members of our group. Kevin, I have a memory of going to a house somewhere around Gracville one night with you. Can't remeber if it was for a party or your home at the time.
Carol, I do remeber going to the Coconut Grove in Inala and for some reason a female singer called Bev Harel (Sir name may be spelt wrong). I also rember a female group called the Cookies who I believed did quite well with Marcie Jones and traveled overseas from Melbourne. Moving to Tasmania in 72 meant I lost touch with most of the people in Brisbane. I remeber the name Elaine Alamadoyd (I am a terrible speller) but cant put a face to her.
I have just recieved an email from Tony, the drummer in the Chelsea set and will contact him. I don't know where he is living.
How is Cliff getting on and where is he living and what does he do for a living?
I look forward to hearing from you both or anybody who has a conection.
Cheers for now Paul. Very Happy
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
yep Bev Harrel had a huge hit with " What am I doing here with you" and I remember the Cookies too,Marcie Jones as well.I think Linda has a photo of Elaine Ormondroid,but strangely enough does not remember her.Cliff lives in England now has done for the past 15 or 16 years,he works for the parks and gardens over there.Do you remember "The Groop",the lead singer was Ronnie Charles,they played at the Scene a lot in Brisbane and The Purple Hearts used to play at The Red Orb ( I think)
Mick remembers Tony he was the original drummer from The Chelsea Set,but for some reason couldnt go to Melbourne with them,or something like that,anyway they want on to get Ray Arnott,who did very well for himself as a session musician with The Little River Band and Jimmy Barnes.Cliff has some good photos of you lot and when he finally gets to sending them to me I will post them on here for you.
Cheers for now Carol
kabre

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
That would have been Kenilworth St in Sherwood. That's the last place we lived in before coming to NZ in late '66. Quite a few people visited that place. Quite a few parties as well.
Talking of the Coconut Grove there was a singer there named Graham Chapman who made a couple of records, he was a regular visitor and when he came over to NZ he remembered that house, he didn't remember us though. Confused
The trips into town used to be awesome. were you with us when we got chased by a gang of so-called Aussies. They turned out to be first generation from greek immigrants. I played against one at football not long after. There were too many to fight with but when we stopped I think they stopped and wouldn't come any closer. The adrenilin was flowing that night.
It would be magic to see some photos from back then. I saw one of Susan Frost, I don't remember us being that young, but then in our minds we weren't were we.
My youngest daughter has just gone to Brisbane to live and it's made me think a lot about the place. I've never been back but I will now, cheap accommodation.
It's a pity no one has organised a reunion for Wacol, it sounds like the Altona one was a blast.
It would be nice to keep in touch with you and Carol.
Cheers
Kevin
t&bkeepence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just registered on this site and read your article re stuart, no he wasn't the one with the mg.I think that was my husband Tony Keepence he had a red mg tf and we used to go there all the time, he was the drummer in the "Chelsea Set". or John Strange he had a green mg td.
timeseller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello sister,
It is now 12.00 midnight on the 17th of September 2010, which; allowing for 10 hrs difference with GMT ; means that exactly 50 years ago we were walking up a gangplank on a Southampton dock to sail to Oz.
Whod've thunk?
Cheers, .. Den.

What I really wanted was a screamer... or a moaner.
kabre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding the MG guy a bit frustrating now. Evil or Very Mad The one I remember lived off the hostel and he quite often talked about, of all things, the Korean war and in particular Pork Chop Hill. It's driving me mad now trying to remember more about him. Confused Confused Very Happy Very Happy
Fifty years Den!!!! Seems a long time ago now doesn't it. I can still remember our arrival in Brisbane, I was so airsick I wanted to die, when we saw the camp I wished I had. Very Happy Very Happy But it turned out to be a great experience, I met so many great people on there and they stay in my thoughts to this day. I just wish I had a better memory for names. Smile
Cheers
Kev
t&bkeepence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis, yes I know I posted it on facebook yesterday, I can still remember the day we left 50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW I think Mick just had a seizure,all these people turning up from his past,he remembers Tony well,I think he said that Tony was replaced by Ray Arnott because he didn't want to move to Melbourne when the rest of the band moved,I think that was down to Stewart too.
t&bkeepence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you are right, Tony was replaced by Ray Arnott, but it was a misunderstanding, because Tony was married they assumed he wouldn't want to move to Melbourne, I can't blame them for making that assumption as it would have been a big move for us, we didn't have any kids at the time so who knows what we would have done.but that is all in the past now and no regrets on our part anyway.
t&bkeepence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stormfour
Tony & I will be in Melbourne 5th-13th october I am sure Tony would love to catch up with Mick if possible, we are staying with Michel Gali in the Dandenongs but will be going into the city a few times so please let me know if we can meet up, Barbara Keepence
drenas

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Chelsea Set et al Reply with quote

Stumbled onto this site and boy did it bring back some memories!! My Mum & Dad both worked at Wacol Hostel and my brother was the fellow with the MG (John Strange), John had MGs until he died in 2005. I actually married a member of the Chelsea Set, had 3 children and divorced in 1975 The Chelsea Set moved to Melbourne in late '66, not too long after I had moved there and the scene in Melbourne was really jumping. All that practice in the rec hall at Wacol Hostel and the gigs at The Bowl andThe Red Orb certainly paid off, they had a huge following in Melbourne and were very popular at places like The Biting Eye, The Catcher, Victoria and Albert and shared the stage with so many iconic bands. The Twilights (later Little River Band), Max Merritt & The Meteors, Ram Jam Big Band, Marcia Jones & The Cookies, The Loved Ones...aah the memories!!! Then life got in the way Ray Petrie returned to Scotland and little by little we all went our separate ways.Good to see Stewart L has done so well. Remember drinking a touch too much Ouzo on your 21st Stu??? I well remember Elaine O, Tony & Barbara and their respective siblings and Mick Naylor, Georgie Wilson.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ..Hi there,Mick remembers you well,wasn't it Bill you were married to,all these memories .OMG The Loved Ones,I remember The Chelsea Set hated them because they beat them in the battle of the bands..Mick still hates them!!
drenas

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Carol I was married to Bill, haven't seen him since we split. Give a big hello to Mick. I was only talking to someone the other day about the bag I use to carry around which had everything in it from spare valves for the amps to needle and thread to sew up Ray's pants when he split them!! (What a sad end he came to - but he had a great time while he was here from all accounts) The Cookies are back in the UK and still performing I think. Marcie is still around the traps in Oz.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ray did have a good time while he was here,and he left a great legacy behind too,they still talk about The "buffalo " boys now.
That bag must have been a beauty!!
I can't believe The Cookies are still performing,I did see Macia Jones on a program a couple of weeks ago,and also that dancer Ronnie Burns married,,Maggie I think her name was,she hasn't changed much.
We have left some great times behind us,isn't it great though to have been a part of the best times !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: