Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wacol Hostel..Queensland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drenas

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure was fun but a touch wearing for those of us who had a job too. I can't remember how many times I went to work with only 2 hours sleep..the resilience of youth!!! I can recall the times the boys used to turn up at my flat having run out of money to by 'frypacks' a disgusting deep-fried something purchased in a 'Greasy Spoon' in St Kilda which they seemed to live on and I would make pancakes - dozens of pancakes. When Bill & I got married it was going to be a quiet family affair (no money..) but Max & The Meteors, The Wild Cherries (I'd forgotten about them) and several other bands all put it some money and hired the Garrison, a disco in High St Prahran for the reception, a band called Sunshine was having their normal practice night when 90 odd people showed up including a lot of big names. It took about 10 minutes for the instruments to be taken over for one of the best jam sessions I've ever experienced. Mick may remember it.
RonRuys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Wacol Migrant Camp Reply with quote

Hi, My family were at Wacol Migrant camp in the second half of 1953 for 6 months after having been at Enoggera Migrant Camp for 6 months before that. We were then given a house in Inala where we lived until the late 80's.
kabre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Brisbane in November and walked the track from the old sewage works to the hostel. Felt a bit strange that there is no sign at all of the old hostel, very sad. There didn't seem to be as much wildlife as I remembered. The encroachment of civilisation I suppose. Shame it's all gone now, so many people went through those hostels and many of them made Australia what it is today.
Reg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Chelsea set Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone is reading the post's.I was not on the hostel but i remember The Chelsea Set well. We had a band called the Loose End's]playing Brisbane at the same time and have great memories of the period.We went to Melbourne a bit before The Chelseas set but we were good mates and i met up with Ray and Stuart in London.Remember seeing Stuart off in a bus leaving for Australia.Ray was a good friend to me.Cheers Guys i enjoyed your memories
veronika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Chelsea Set - timeseller Reply with quote

There I was...daydreaming about good times...and I thought "I wonder what became of The Chelsea Set?"
So I googled it...and here I am!

I used to be very comfortable at Berties, Sebastians, Ginza and The Thumping Tum, but I usually found myself at The Catcher, and a not-insignificant reason was The Chelsea Set. First-class band, and not overshadowed even when The Twilights appeared there

Thank you deeply
Veronika
ebutkows

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: wacol Hostel Reply with quote

Hi All
Just found this website after doodling all night! We lived on the Wacol Hostel in 1963 - 1964 after arriving from England on the Fairsky - pretty sure we lied in C Block.
Went to Goodna State school. Saw a few names I recognised like the Naylors and Elaine Ormondroyd. Elaine was in the same class as me at Goodna. I used to knock around with Ralph and Michael Fairhurst, Steve Kent, John Wellock, Dave Durkin just to name a few. I remember getting up on stage with brother John and Ralph Fairhurst and doing Please Please Me!
I did the camp paper run and the army as well. 9Most would have known me as Podge back then!

Had a great time at Wacol; unfortunately Mum and Dad and brother John have passed.
If anyone remembers, drop me an email
Eugene
Loumcl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Wacol hostel 1964-1965 Reply with quote

My family arrived at Wacol Hostel March 1964. We were the McLean family from Scotland. Remember making great friends with the Bott family from England. It's amazing to read about those times. So much I don't remember.
Anton56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wacol hostel 1964-1965 Reply with quote

Loumcl wrote:
My family arrived at Wacol Hostel March 1964. We were the McLean family from Scotland. Remember making great friends with the Bott family from England. It's amazing to read about those times. So much I don't remember.

Hi Lou.
My name is Tony and I think the family you are referring to is my family. We where the Brett family. We had a Scottish family as friends. I was a friend with one of the children. I can not remember his name but my nick names was bimbo and i went to goodna state school. I remember we played marbles at times. I have some wonderful memories of Wacol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: