Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Altona/Wiltona Reunion 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Brookly Hostel info Reply with quote

For anyone interested, the arrivals and departures book at Brooklyn Hostel is available from the National Archives of Australia, from 1959 to 1970. Good hunting.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that game,we got our asses kicked,but I always told my Mum we let them win Shocked .I remember going to Brooklyn hostel to play against them cant remember Maribynong all that well,but I must admit to suffering from C.R.A.F.T. a lot these days.
Sue I posted the words to that song in another post somewhere on this forum,we used to sing it all the time when we went ice skating!!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a squizz at the Brooklyn Hostel book at the National Archives last year, recognised many names who ended up at Altona Hostel, also many neighbours in our street later on. it would make a good outing for us, a day at the PRO, except that- almost all reference to Altona Hostel are mysteriously non-existent (hums X-Files music Laughing ) Carol and Linda will know what I mean!

Am just off the phone to our Colette, she went to see Nora McManus in Werribee who is all excited about the reunion, so you can count them in as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm Have been thinking a lot about that lately I think we should name it " The village of the Dammed"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you access this info at The National Archives,I have been in there and it isn't showing me anything just say no results for whatever I ask for cry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I mean- it's a big fat nothing! Plenty on other hostels, but it's like ours never existed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Wiltona Reply with quote

There are 13 entries in the NAA for Wiltona. They include address books from 1970 to 1980. Also arrival and departure books. Simply go to the site, sign on as a guest, then start searching. Some of the search words can be misleading. Wiltona brings up the above. Migrant Hostels bring up hundreds. Also, you dont actually know what is in the records. Its a bit hit an miss. To access the contents, someone has to pay for the first time. Usually $16.50. Then its available for all to see for free. Sucks, but thats the way it is. Ive accesses several files. Some excellent, some so so. Big thrill seeing the emmigrantion papers you filled out 40 years ago. If your folks emmigrated, odds on they are available. They may have had to fill in an employment form from previous too. This can be gold. Shows where your folks were at any one time. Good luck all. Happy to help, but you have to actually do the search yourselves. Eats up my life, hehe.
PS Altona Hostel was also known as Williamstown Hostel before it was renamed to Altona. Good trick if searching.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to the NAA and found only 4 entries, but couldn't really access any of them to view the contents. To get information about the hostel and address books for earlier years, I was sent to a different web site, still the NAA but an updated version or something. I've asked for a quote for information about my family's immigration records, but also information about the hostel from 1960-1965. I'll let you know what I get, if anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Williamstown/Altona Reply with quote

Yes, the NAA does not let you actually see the contents of the files. The system is fairly hit and miss. They have a policy of recovering overheads and so usually charge around $16.50 for there time, to make the records available. That usually means that some schmuck has to pay to make the records available. The up side is that once they are, they are available for everyone. Tip. If you pay for a hard copy for your own personal or family immigration, the files are NOT made available publicly. You may wish to do this if you feel there is some privacy issues. Bear in mind that once these files are on the NAA, anyone can pay the upfront fee for a digital copy, then they are available to all. I have foulnd that generall the information within files is very interesting. When I got my own and my folks emmigration file, there was a heap of stuff I did not know existed, including photos from the 1960's. Gold. Good luck
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do I ensure that the stuff I'm willing to pay for, especially the hostel address book etc, goes on the "free for all to look at" page? And then how would someone access that? There was mention of an address book for 1966-1970, but I didn't know how to access it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order it at the public record office in North Melbourne, but you need to do so in person I think. I ordered it last year, but didn't make it in to view it in time, they give you two weeks.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judith.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting for the public records office to get back to me regarding the pages I asked for. Seems they've forgotten me. Mad
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, they must have heard me, lol. I got a reply today, but it wasn't helpful. Here is the reply I got:-

Dear Ms Hird,

Thank you for your enquiry of 29 September regarding address books for the Altona (aka Wiltona) Migrant Hostel for the period 1960 to 1966.

In response to the above I have searched the following National Archives record series;

Series B6517; Arrival and Departure Registers for Migrant Hostels, 1950-1986;

Series B6518; Address Books for Migrant Hostels, 1949 � 1987.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any records in either of these series corresponding with what you are seeking. As these appear to be the only series in our collection relevant to your enquiry I have to conclude that the records concerning the time-period in question did not find their way into archival custody, and, if they existed, have been either misplaced or destroyed.

If you would like to discuss, or seek clarification concerning any of the above please feel free to contact me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X Files Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: