Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canteen Food and Crib Bags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Canteen Food and Crib Bags Reply with quote

Scotch eggs
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding
Little squares of butter in patty pans
Peanut butter sandwiches
Apple slice with custard
Slabs of meat pie cut into squares. The meat was so tough that my Ma swore it wasn't meat at all, but cut-up squares of Mr. Laurence's brown overcoat flung between pastry Laughing
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they had a big griller type toaster on a table where you did your own toast and after I buttered my toast I used to put it back under the griller so that it all bubbled up..yummy

orange ( gold )coloured cups
Had to write on the brown paper bags what you wanted each day for lunch
I usually had peanut butter or Jam
I recall some people having Tomato and by the time they got to eat it,it was just disgusting,and in a school bag in summer..WOW
We had like mini suitcases for school bags,I thought they were the coolest things.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had white mugs given out to us, but they did sell the gold mugs in Knock & Kirby in Parramatta, and for those who broke theirs, they bought themselves the gold replacement.
I don't remember whether we had to give the mugs back when we left, they were scratched and tea stained by the time we had finished with them, I can't see that they would have reused them.
We didn't have access to a canteen grill/toaster either, just had the tea urn which emptied out as fast as it was filled up, seemed like I was the one who always had to tilt it forward to get my cup filled.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't remember much about the food,maybe I blocked it out Sad I remember distinctly what the canteen looked like and even what the ladies behind the counter wore but not the food that much,I remember sometimes just having boiled potatoes as I didnt fancy anything else and that was the only time they gave me butter .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GinaKate"]We had white mugs given out to us, but they did sell the gold mugs in Knock & Kirby in Parramatta, and for those who broke theirs, they bought themselves the gold replacement.
quote]

I lost my mug one time and had to pay for it out of my pocket money- a whole shilling! cry

Some kids had suitcases, some used their leather satchels from school in England, but the most common was airline or shipping bags which you could buy at Coles.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of interest I still have the little school case my grandad took his lunch to school in ,in Scotland.My grandmother gave it to me when I was a child and I still treasure it. I carted it all around Hostels and kept photos in it.It is only little. He was born in 1881 so it is quite old. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people have an heirloom like that!
Len

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but, Knock & Kirby's... thats a name I havent heard of for quite a while. Do they still exist these days.
Smile
GinaKate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Len wrote:
Sorry but, Knock & Kirby's... thats a name I havent heard of for quite a while. Do they still exist these days.
Smile

I think they still have a few stores around the Sydney area, although not the big business they used to be. I have never seen one in Qld.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: