Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ice cream, lollies and stuff we didn't have back home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Ice cream, lollies and stuff we didn't have back home Reply with quote

We were used to one size of ice-cream cone, but this glorious country also had the "double header"- a cone with two side by side scoops. They were restricted to Mum and Dad in our house when it was their shout. You could also get a miniature baby cone. I missed sliders, and eventually forgot all about them until I saw them at a Wall's barrow last year in Singapore of all places. Shocked

Ice-lollies were called icy-poles.

When it was my birthday, they gave me a shilling to go buy a Triple Treat. It was to die for, they were around for years but you never see them now.

There were also the frozen strips of coloured water- great on a hot day. They've gone through numerous name changes over the decades, but ours were called Pipeline Petes. With all those lurid colours, it's no wonder we all were hyperactive or had ADHD even then- in those days it was just put down to bad behaviour.

And Sunny Boys, they're still around but much smaller. They lasted all day. You'd suck the orange out till it looked like dry ice, and finish it hours later by drinking the melted dregs.

Oh such cheap fun!
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I loved triple treats I still look for them when I go into a shop that has Streets ice cream,just on the off chance cry I used to like Eskimo Pies too but a triple treat was my first choice,and I loved clinkers and Black Jacks as well
ADHD ...got a lot to answer for,wont go into a debate about that,but yes it was and still is I believe ( bad behavior) or for want of a better word Spoiled Brat Syndrome.
Do you remember the Oyster ice cream you could get off the ice cream man back home,I used to dream about them,it was an Oyster shell shaped cone and then they would fill it with ice cream,I think it was Mr Whippy that had them oh oh oh yes.
A couple of years ago they brought out a limited series of Magnums,ooo they were nice,there was a wild berry one and a jaffa one O.M.G I thought I had literally gone to heaven,but alas a limited series has to stop,and they did unfortunately or maybe fortunately,but you could only buy them at shell service stations.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmmmm yummy my favourite Eskimo Pies. I still have them occasionally here in NZ Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you hate it when all this good stuff has a limited lifespan- that Magnum range was to die for. I love the chocolate/orange combination.
I'd forgotten about Mr. Whippy's oyster shells.

What they still have from those days is Golden Gaytimes- I'm surprised they haven't been forced to change the name by now! There's a drama currently under way about Eskimo Pies. And you just NEVER see Nigger Boy liquorice or Fags cigarettes any more. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I used to buy Jersey Toffee for sixpence, a White Knight for 3d, Eucalyptus Diamonds, freckles, bananas and TEETH. It's revolting when you think of teeth now. They're still in every milk bar.
Potato Crisps were called Potato Chips. Weetabix was Weetbix. Rice Crispies were Rice Bubbles. Come to think of it, we had to learn a whole new vocabulary. Dads would come home from work with new words such as SMOKO. Those who went to Queensland had different terminologies yet again. Suitcases were called Ports, a (street) court was called a Keyhole.

Ice-cream was made either by Streets, Peter's or Toppa. Local soft drinks were made by Tarax, Marchants, Boon Spa, and the only home delivery service was Loys. It was great if you found an empty bottle, and took it back for the deposit. In the hostel, you had to pay a deposit on milk bottles. It was something outrageous like sixpence. They gave you a little cardboard docket, you brought it back next time you wanted milk and it saved you another sixpence. I hope my folks got their sixpence back the day they left! I thought it was such a rort at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about different ways to say things when I was looking for something and couldnt find it my Mum often invited me to have a root in the cupboard under the stairs Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could go back in time for a day, what a shock we'd get.
And they'd be more shocked with us.
Len

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started reading the comments about ice-creams the first thing that popped into my mined was, golden gay times (nothing personal I must say) but they were my favourite and I�ve often wondered if they were still sold or whether they have been renamed. Seemingly they still survive but unfortunately 'given the choice' I wouldn�t dare be seen buying one, especially these days. lol. They were a bit pricey but when ever I had a bit of spare pocket money I�d splash-out and treat myself to one. They were much better than the paddle pops or the cheap cool cats etc.

As for taking bottles back�. When ever we went to the beach or generally just messing about we would collect empty Pepsi/ coke bottles and take them back to the nearest shop because as result we would collect the refund on the bottles and get our selves ice-creams etc. I�m sure the older kids (on purpose) used to leave the empty bottles lying around for us younger kids to collect. For the older kids, it probably wasn�t worth hassle of taking the empty�s back to the shop just to collect a couple of cents. On occasions, we would go to the shop with arms full. Mr. Green

Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend by the name of Gaye and she really has a problem these days on introduction when she says..hello I'm Gaye Laughing Laughing Laughing but yes I think Gaytimes are a thing of the past in terms of the way we speak but,I disagree that they are better than Paddle Pops..oh no no no I beg to differ..are we gonna have the Battle of The Gaytime V Paddle Pop well I'm going for a chocolate Paddle Pop,mind you I would always opt for a Streets triple treat anytime I think to all the ice cream I have mentioned here is Streets too..I luv ice cream Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they'd bring back vanilla Paddle Pops- they alternately discontinue and resurface them every few years.

Happy memories about bottle deposits- when we moved to Altona, it was a new housing estate still being built. We made a killing for about 3 years with what the builders left. Laughing
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: ice creams Reply with quote

You lot must have been rich, we never got any ice creams, making up for it now though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to burst your bubble Stribe, but I got very little ice-cream on the hostel except for the little 3d. baby cones served by the "delightful"
Mrs. Salamon, and the solitary Triple Treat on my birthday. I do remember agonising once over whether I should part with sixpence for a liquorice ice cream called a Black Knight. It was so worth it, but a luxury that was never repeated.
Do you remember the lucky dips? They had red and white (3d.), or blue and white stripes (6d.) One time I got a little knitting gadget, like a giant cotton reel with four staples. There was a large Dutch family named DeKoning, and they'd managed to smuggle in a grey tabby kitten. It was adorable, and I knitted a hat for it. Got to see it looking cute in the hat just once, before Mr.Lawrence invoked the 'no pets" regulation. cry

Last edited by aussietrekker on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember triple treats, obviously never had them, but I do remember the black knights. I never really had much in the way of ice-cream while we were on the hostel though, but I do remember being in Williamstown once and asking for an ice-lolly and the shop assistant giving me a lollypop. I said no, I wanted an ICE-lolly, and I then had to explain what I meant. That was when I learned they were called icy-poles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember making that mistake for the first time. Very Happy
ToppaHunter

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Toppa IceCream Reply with quote

Do you remember a Toppa ice cream that was a copy of the Streets Triple Treat, Both were choc coated rectangular bars, but, instead of pink marshmallow between vanilla ice-cream the Toppa variant was green (mabybe mint flavoured) marshmallow between chocolate ice cream.
I can't remember what it was called and there seems to be no record of it on the web. It's driving me mad.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never came across that one....probably beyond my budget at the time. It sounds nice anyway. Asked my husband and he doesn't know either. It'll be driving me mad now too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: