Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

photos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the photos we have, have other children in, Linda Eaton and a couple of others I can't name. Kay remembers a friend she had called Angela, and also remembers going into one of the other flats, she thinks it may have been yours as she vaguely remembers Collette.

I know the names of Rifle Range/Footscray. What are they? They both ring very loud bells but I can't remember! Frustrating! Would I have gone to either of them?

How lovely that you had a 40 year celebration and that you're thinking of doing something else. Walking from Williamstown past where the hostel was? I can't imagine! In my mind the hostel was huge and in the middle of nowhere. I remember that beach, I think we called it the back beach, and it was very scrubby, like dried seaweed and grasses everywhere. Is the Grandstand completely gone now? If you have any present photos of the area we would love to see what it looks like now.

Looking of that photo of the baby on that divan brought back memories of my Mum and Dad sleeping one one of those. I'm going to ask Dad what he can remember about the hostel, although he would have been at work all day, but whatever he can remember will be interesting.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay's friend was Angela Hanslik, she had red hair and went to your school. She was Irish like us, in fact they lived in the street behind us in Ireland. Her brother Kenny and I were born in the same hospital a few days apart, our Dads worked in the same factory, and we all left Ireland the same night on the same boat to England. We didn't expect to end up in the same hostel, in fact my Dad hadn't arranged any accommodation at all- we received the "happy news" courtesy of some immigration bloke who met us at the airport on arrival...which was very thoughtful as it was Good Friday and they anticipated everything being shut.

After we left the hostel, we never saw Angela's family again until I ran into her about 15 years later at- would you believe it- a Star Trek club!
She had no recollection of us at all, as she was only 5 or 6 at the time, and was amazed at the coincidence. The coincidences didn't end there- we both drove the exact same car, same colour, and her brother eventually worked at a campus of the private school where our Martin's son and daughter were attending. Once I started hanging out with the Star Trek fraternity, I saw her all the time for years, and I will have some photos somewhere. Last time I saw her was at a Trekkie christening in the 90's, and we each had a little girl the same age. Who would have thought our kids would be playing together after all that time.
I still hear news of her occasionally.

Yes I do have recent photos of the back beach area, as Bruce and I went for a walk there three or four years ago. I think the "Granny" was pulled down in the 70's. A coastal walking path was made, it runs along the hostel's back fence and you can walk from Altona to Williamstown and beyond. The seaweed and mangroves are still there. The hostel and refinery were all alone in the middle of all those paddocks, until about 1967 when some light industry went up, and by the 80's the area was almost full on both sides of the road. The Rifle Range was by the sea just before Williamstown. It was a well-known snake pit, and is now almost its own suburb, full of McMansions and a very expensive retirement village. As your school bus went in the opposite direction (down Miller's Road and past Cherry Lake) you may not have seen it much. We passed it every day going to St. Mary's.
Footscray was the West's biggest shopping centre, near the city. It was a day out, going to Footscray, my folks used to do their big shop there once a week at Forges (which is still there!) and Sim's supermarket, while us kids would live it up at Coles cafeteria in the school holidays. We would have a feast for 25 cents each. Those were the days. I worked in Footscray for a while Saturday mornings when I was at trade school- painting signs and price tickets at Woolworths. That was about 1971. Now Woolworths and Coles are both gone.
Bruce's family came form Williamstown. Our girls are the third generation born in Williamstown, and there are two more buried in the cemetery. His sister Sheryl was our Colette's best friend at St. Mary's, and they moved to Altona a few weeks before we did in 1964. The day after they moved, his mother suddenly died. She was only 34, and Bruce was 5. We were still in the hostel at the time, and I can still remember the shock my Mum got on hearing the news.
eileen eileen has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: photo's Reply with quote

Very Happy
Thanks Carol, loved to see photo's of Linda and our Doreen, many of these i'd seen before. and the photo of our mum's was taken in Wigan, Billinge hospital. i once had a photo of our mum's outside a hospital in Melbourne along with Olwyn Gillett. oh by the way it's Eileen who had leg in plaster for ever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eileen, thanks so much for joining us- we're getting a nice little collective here and every one a treasure. I only knew you at a distance, but I can still see you on your crutches, and you were always smiling. I remember there was great rejoicing among your mates the day your crutches came off. I loved your Mum- my Mum did too, she was always entertaining us with the latest outrageous thing Mrs. Griffin had said. Laughing

I'm having lunch with Carol Myers on Tuesday (can't wait) , and we'll wander round the old establishment and take lots of photos. But there were none of the old buildings left last time I looked, except the recreation hall.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, would just like to say many thanks for the kind words you have said about my mum. pity cant come for spot of lunch, have nice day. cheers
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eileen,would love you to come to lunch with us,too bad you are so far away cry .Linda went to see Doreen not long ago and she said they where talking about the hostel,and as it happens it was your Doreen who was with her when she cut all those peoples washing up Rolling Eyes ..what two buggers they where.
Judith it looks like Linda is going to join us for lunch if that is ok with you.
Good luck with the photos Eileen,I hope the link works for you
sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was lovely to see some more photos Eileen, but I did't recognise anybody in them. Was that a fancy dress competition in one of them? Only I remember Kay entering dressed as a Char Lady (much to her dismay!). Next week when Kay and I get together we will attempt putting photos on.

Spoke to Dad recently. He used to go in the Rifle Range and still has one of the glasses in his sideboard! He remembers Footscray too as that was where we shopped. He worked at the Commonwealth Aircraft Company with another man named Alec who also lived in the hostel. He had 2 boys but he can't remember their surname. He does remember your Mum Judith, I think he said they used to drink together in some Hall or Club House.

My Mum worked in the canteen for a short while - we have a picture of her with others who worked there.

That's all for now
Regards
Carol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mum also worked in the canteen occasionally, and once or twice in the childcare centre. I may even recognise some of them when you post the photos.

It would be great if your Linda could join us on Tuesday. I'll pick up you both at North Williamstown station around 11am. if that's OK- we'll keep our mobiles switched on. Look for a white Subaru Forester with red numberplates with the rego number of the Starship Enterprise!

I don't know who Alec would be, but remember another neighbour Bernie Kinner who also worked at the aircraft factory. They had two kids, Karen and Stuart, and I think another was on the way. I believe they went to live in Epping, and may have returned to England later. Your Mum also had a good friend called Jenny Drake. They had two boys, Donald and Alan, and an older girl named Pat who was very quiet and pleasant. Your Mum and mine, and Jenny Drake used to have many a laugh gossiping in the laundry.

Eileen those pics are great. Bruce remarked on how clean the beach was back then. But I'm puzzled about those buildings in the background. They must have been pulled down early on, as they didn't exist any time I went past over the years. Someone at the the Williamstown Historical Society would know. Was that you on the crutches? If so, the photo would be 1964, not 1965. Do you remember the names of the other girls on the beach? There is a boy with dark hair on the top left of the second photo. He looks a lot like Paul Tibos who lived next to McKeemans. They were from London, and their Ma was a great laugh. They went to live in Broadmeadows.

I have scanned my photos but they wouldn't email. Bruce says I must resize them, hopefully he'll do it on the weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not recognise the buildings in the background either,I didnt say anything as my memory is shocking at times but I dont remember any buildings like that being around Altona hostel at that time,the only big structure was the Grandstand and that didnt look anything like that.
Will be there at 11.00 no problem,will have my mobile on and look for The Enterprise Laughing Laughing Looks like we are going where no man has Ever gone....well not for a long time

See you then
I am off to the Melbourne Storm game now,we play the Roosters tonight in our last game at Olympic Park,a bit sad really,but we have a brand new stadium to look forward to next season,just hope we can generate the same atmosphere

GO STORM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st photo was a fancy dress, me on the crutches and the girl with the pram was Barbara so it says at the back of the photo. thats the grandstand behind us.

2nd photo was a party they gave for my mum, before we set sail back to England. photo taken in canteen, don't know other people, mum's got the pearl necklace on.

3rd photo was from the left Janet Gillett, me, our Mary then Diane Gillett,
dont know what beach but cant be too far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the back beach,you got there if you went straight on over the bridge instead of going right to the grandstand,we went out to the hostel sight yesterday,wow what a change,but would you believe the old rec room is still there!! Having a good look at the photos yes I do see the old grandstand but the building to the left looks unfamiliar to me,it does look to be part of the old racecourse,just that I do not recall it ever being there.No need to point out who your Mum was,what a beautiful woman she was,and a lovely person too,everybody loved her,not too backward at coming forward either and was quick at telling people to Piss Off if they annoyed her.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish i could have been with you going back to the hostel. cant tell you how many times i have dreamed of returning, maybe one day. yes my mum was beautiful inside and out. made me smile about the piss off bit, yes that's my mum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I remember most about your Mum- I had never heard that expression before, and thought it was so brazen but cool at the same time. (I have used it extensively myself ever since!) My Mum always loved running into her, as she always gave her a laugh.
miranda12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Carol
this is Margaret McKeeman
ive got some more photos of your dad and your mum Olive
we are down the back beach of the hostel
Margaret McKeeman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret, this is great that you've found us and joined in. I remember you well from next door, and the great day we had at Werribee Park in 1988. I was expecting our first baby at the time- she'll be 21 next April.
Carol and Linda and I had a magic day at the Technopark a few weeks ago, will put up the photos soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: