Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

photos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret
I am so exited,I was looking at photos of you the other day with our Linda,she found some photos that she didnt know she had and there you were,you were lying in the water with my Mum and Olwyn Gillett I think.It is absolutely fabulous to here from you,I got a message from your Caroline today,also from Pat Heaney,I am beside myself,I cannot wait for this reunion,Caroline is exited about it too. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kayfrancis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I am Kay (was Simonds), Carol's (Sagittarius) sister and I have finally managed to log myself into the forum. The talk of the reunion is making me (and Carol) want to come but it is a long way from England!! I was only 5 ot 6 when I was at the hostel so my memories are a bit vague. I do remember being in the canteen and it was a really hot day and the thing that sticks in my mind is the chef being so hot and dishing up the food with sweat pouring off his brow and it dripping onto the food! Things like that do stick in the mind! I can also remember Mum putting me on the school bus and I screamed and cried because I didn't want to go!! Just things like that I remember but I can't remember people or faces that well, only Angela which Carol mentioned. It would be nice to get in touch with her again. Anyway speak soon. Carol and I will get those photos on when we work out the technology!! Kind regards. Kay p.s. I have called myself Twinkle because in one of the photos we have at the hostel is one of me holding a photo of a cat and for some reason I remember he was called Twinkle (I think he was a cat we had in England)!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, it's great to hear from you- this forum just gets better every day!
I well remember you chucking a hissy-fit going to school each day, you were quite miserable. You used to play with our Colette, who was the same age as you. I used to see Angela Hanslik all the time for years in the Star Trek club , but haven't seen her since about 1996 whan we were at a Trekkie christening. I'll keep my ear to the ground, I think she still lives out Northcote way.
Loved the description about the sweaty old cook. We were exposed to a great deal of grossness in those days!
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the Manager would have been very happy about a cook sweating like that.They had to wear hats the band of which could keep the sweat from pouring too much. Of course if you were only six years old it may have looked worse. Confused Rolling Eyes
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They definitely didn't wear them all the time, they can't have done- because I remember some of them having HAIR Laughing
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormfour wrote:

This is a picture of my Mum second from left Mrs Griffin in the middle and I dont know who the other ladies are,I know Margaret McKeeman worked with them then but she is not in this shot

My mum, Olwen Gillet, also worked with them, but she's not in that shot either. We lived next to the Griffen's on the hostel, and one of my best friends was Carol Myers. Margaret McKeeman's daughter Caroline was another of my good friends. Nora Griffen and I are about the same age.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormfour wrote:
Hi Margaret
I am so exited,I was looking at photos of you the other day with our Linda,she found some photos that she didnt know she had and there you were,you were lying in the water with my Mum and Olwyn Gillett I think.It is absolutely fabulous to here from you,I got a message from your Caroline today,also from Pat Heaney,I am beside myself,I cannot wait for this reunion,Caroline is exited about it too. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Do I take it from the above quote that this is Carol (Myers)? If so, count me in for that reunion. Smile
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagittarius wrote:
The photos are brilliant - but I can't say I recognise you or your sister. The girl in the background in the top one with white shorts on - I thought it was either Linda or Gillian Eaton.

I spent the day with my sister Kay last Friday, we had a great time discussing this website, looking at photos, etc. She has a few photos of us at the hostel so we will attempt to put them on the website. It may take a while!

I think it's Gillian. They lived behind us in H block H2. They moved to Melton, then Linda married and was living in Bacchus Marsh. I lost contact with her after 1974
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eileen wrote:
The 1st photo was a fancy dress, me on the crutches and the girl with the pram was Barbara so it says at the back of the photo. thats the grandstand behind us.

2nd photo was a party they gave for my mum, before we set sail back to England. photo taken in canteen, don't know other people, mum's got the pearl necklace on.

3rd photo was from the left Janet Gillett, me, our Mary then Diane Gillett,
dont know what beach but cant be too far away.

Hi Eileen, Where are these photo's you've just described? I'd love to see the photo with my two sisters in them......Janet and Dianne Gillet.
Len

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:

Hi Eileen, Where are these photo's you've just described? I'd love to see the photo with my two sisters in them......Janet and Dianne Gillet.

Susan, the photos are here.
Feel free to comment on them.

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,you take it right ...Carol here,this is going to be some reunion Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
stribe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have any photos I think we were too poor or mum just wouldnt spend the money on photo's she has passed away now and I am going to go through her album, she had a couple taken with women she knew on the hostel. I must say Doreen Griffin looks exactly the same today as she did then, you would recognize her so easily.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found MORE photos,my scanner is not working but I will give them to mt daughter and get her to scan them and then I will send them to Len..Sue there is also a photo of me & you !!!!!!
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't believe it. Seems I was really there after all. hehe.

Looking forward to seeing that one. Smile
jillbac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Baby photo Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'am Jill Myerscough.
The picture of the baby is my brother Paul Myerscough! Hes 45yrs now and much better looking now than then!! I will try and find some shots of the Myerscough family days in Altona 1963 - 1966. Mum Doreen & Dad John sister Julie Brother Paul. We all live back in Liverpool U.K now but often talk and remember our time in Aus! In fact Mum & dad are there now on holiday but wont be able to attend the reunion as they will be back in UK then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: