Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

photos
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: photos Reply with quote

I am in the process of setting up a website ,so as soon as I get that done I will be able to post a link to my photos from there!
I know it is taking time but these are bloody old photos and rather small some of them,but I will get them on here if it the last thing I do Shocked Shocked
But in the meantime should anybody else have any photos..we would all love to see them Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: I DID IT Reply with quote

Me on the left Angela Playfore in the middle and my sister Linda on the right

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister Linda still dressed in her concert gear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sister Linda and Doreen Griffin in the canteen serverythis is a photo of a baby that was born on the hostel his name is Paul myerscough..note the divan couch they are sitting on

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Linda and Doreen for some reason posing in front of the boys toilets directly to the right of these toilets was our hut,note the little boy peeking out from the toilet and the refinery in the background

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a picture of my Mum second from left Mrs Griffin in the middle and I dont know who the other ladies are,I know Margaret McKeeman worked with them then but she is not in this shot
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos are awesome. I can't say I recognise you or your sister from the dress-up shots, but I remember a girl who looked a bit like you passing our unit a lot- she always wore a tan jumper. I do recognise your Mum, and I'd know Mrs. Griffin anywhere. What were the uniforms?
In the top picture, the little girl in white shorts looks a lot like Marion McClean. I laughed at the old divan with the baby- I'd forgotten how uncomfortable they were. I don't know what was in that big tank at the playground- but don't think it had anything to do with the refinery.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uniforms were The Royal Womens Hospital they were all on the Maternity ward there, Margret McKeeman worked with them too and a lady called Olwyn Gillet but they are not in the photo.I think the big tank was an emergency water tank,at least that is what my Dad told me.
kim kim has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

What great photo's. Is that a hostel issue settee I see in one of the photo's?
Thanks for sharing them.

Kim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,those hostel settees must have been issued to all the hostels,in their glorious black,grey and white vinyl decor,still I suppose they were servicable and quite modern at the time Rolling Eyes
There are some more photos somewhere that my Mum had but I just have to find them,I will post them as soon as they are located.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good, bring 'em on. Cool
Those sofas would be worth a fortune now in the retro shops.

I think I've ID'd the boy in the overcoat in your first photo. He looks like one of the dreaded Wright brothers. Never knew their first names. He was about 11, but had an unusually chunky build and he and his brother were total menaces. They lived on their bikes. He always wore a black skivvy and looked mean, and his equally mean brother had blonde hair (which looked like it was cut by the bowl-over-the-head method) and he always wore a bright orange cardigan with a giant collar and large buttons.There was a harmless younger brother, and a sister of maybe 12 who seemed to be constantly taking care of the baby. They lived at the other end of your row, or the one beside it. Near the road anyway.

I don't suppose your sister would remember who your neighbours were?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do vaguely remember the Wrights,the sister more than anyone and the blonde brother who,as I recall resembled Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter movies.My sister doesn't remember what she did yesterday she is worse than me,but as I recall the peoples name next door started with a D and the boy was about the same age as me as I had a crush on him so bad!!! he was a sullen moody kid as was the rest of the family really so we didn't really talk to them much.
I have emailed my brother who lives in England to see what families he remembers and to email some photos to me,as I know he has some,but that will be like waiting for paint to dry,he first has to read his emails and that could take weeks Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
My other brother who was not born when we where on the hostel,but still may have some photos as he was the last person with access to my Mum's photos,is away at the moment so I am waiting for him to get back to see just what he has.
There was another family called Myers on the hostel too,they lived in C block I think there was 3 girls and one was also called Linda another was Susan and I cant remember the other one,but they left the hostel to go to the Opal mines in W.A Cooberpedy (I may have spelled that wrong ) Susan used to send me opals which her Dad gave her,and they lived underground because it was so hot.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manager's had those sofas too. I think they were the first double beds we had---we had single ones before that--- but the one thing I remember about those sofas is the terrible backache I had in the mornings. Must say they were terrible to sleep on. Sad Rolling Eyes
sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos are brilliant - but I can't say I recognise you or your sister. The girl in the background in the top one with white shorts on - I thought it was either Linda or Gillian Eaton.

I spent the day with my sister Kay last Friday, we had a great time discussing this website, looking at photos, etc. She has a few photos of us at the hostel so we will attempt to put them on the website. It may take a while!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about how long it takes...it's been 45 years, another few months won't hurt! You and Kay must have had a few good laughs, I'm glad this site is there for you. Our Colette came over yesterday, and wishes to do a "back to Williamstown" with Martin and myself in the near future. We did this for our 40th. anniversary in Australia- sadly Mum and Dad were no longer with us, but we were well represented with all the in-laws, and their grandchildren and a great-grandson. We had a picnic just across from the pavilion at Williamstown beach, then walked the coastal path at the back of the hostel.

Phyl, it must have been torture sleeping on those sofas.

Not sure that the girl in the photo is one of the Eatons, as they both had very black hair.
Draco Malfoy is a good description- he certainly behaved like him! Laughing

Your neighbours were almost certainly the Dennerleys. They lived facing the road ( the row in your photo) and their neighbours on the other side were the Reginios, who they always played with. The boy you fancied was Neville. he was blonde and very good looking, but you're right, I never ever saw him smile. They also went to Seaholme school. He had three younger brothers, all clones of himself. There were twins about 6 years, and a very cute little boy about 4. I can still see him in the shop, always asking for the same thing- a bottle of "wed Tawax". Their mother was very well-dressed and elegant- she stood out from the rest of the hostel women, and I used to think she looked like Queen Elizabeth. By all accounts they were quite aloof in general- I believe they were Jehovah's Witnesses, which may account for their desire for privacy.
There was another family I remember named Purcella, who lived behind them. They also had three boys and a sister of maybe 12.

I drive past that place often, and wonder however did they fit all those people in such a small area..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: