Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trips to Werribee pool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: trips to Werribee pool Reply with quote

Does anyone remember tavelling on the bus from the hostel to Werribee pool, where (whoever it was in charge) set up tables for the big tea urns which had cordial in them very weak cordial I might add, and trays of mixed sandwiches. I also remember I think it was Nora Griffin who taught me the song THERE WAS GRAVEY,GRAVEY ENOUGH TO SINK THE NAVEY IN THE HAW HOSTEL DINING HALL, AND,ONE MAN WENT TO MO WENT TO MO AND MEADOW you get my drift in the time it took the bus to travel to and from the pool. Have I jogged a memory or three. .regards Danny McKeeman aka flynsctsman. Very Happy Smile Very Happy
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I remember that song and others, from every Friday night in the dining room. Fish and chips, and a great atmosphere. Cool
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so remember our trips to Werribee pool. One particular time in particular, which was followed by ice-skating to St. Moritz that night. The trouble was, I was allergic to the chlorine in the water and that night a terrible abscess developed in my left ear. I was dreaming of skating around the rink with an ear-ache and woke to absolute agony. Mum gave me some aspirin and I was able to doze until the morning when there was gunk all over my pillow. We went off to the doctor in Altona where we found out about the abscess, which had now burst along with my ear drum. I was given a penicillin injection followed by oral anitbiotics, but that was only the first of many infections and absecces for me. I have had several operations on my left ear, the final one clearing out the ear totally so that it is just an empty cavity now (a bit like my head really, lol). I am now totally deaf in my left ear.
stribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Werribee Pool well, always had great time. But I liked best the listtle pool in Williamstown, near where we are having the reunion. I learned how to swim properly in that pool, I now do Triathlons and can thank that little pool for that. I loved the Wlliamstown Beach and picking up fish and chips from the shop next to the rifle club hotel, being red haired and freckly I was a real mess, always sunburn to hell and hair sticking out all over the place, but I loved it being a tom boy
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Pat you are absolutely priceless Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: TRIPS TO WERRIBEE POOL. Reply with quote

Hello Pa: t, Danny here. Yeah I also remember the Willi pool, it is still there. It*s 25 metres long and the Herald newapaper Ltd sponsored the Herald Swimming Certificate if you swam one length. It was only for kids, I got one as you probably did. I also remember that fish and chip shop, they made the best around mmm chips with salt and vinegar yum I could go that right now. It will be great to see and catch up at the bar b que Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy With regards Danny McKeeman AKA Flynsctsman Danny.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belonged to the swimming club at Willy pool, and went through all my certificates up to and including Bronze Medallion. I had a patch that I had to sew onto my bathers so that I could get into the pool free whenever I wanted. I haunted the place for a while, until the novelty wore off. lol I loved that pool though, and when we left the hostel I really missed it.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember tavelling on the bus from the hostel to Werribee pool, where (whoever it was in charge) set up tables for the big tea urns which had cordial in them very weak cordial I might add, and trays of mixed sandwiches. I also remember I think it was Nora Griffin who taught me the song THERE WAS GRAVEY,GRAVEY ENOUGH TO SINK THE NAVEY IN THE HAW HOSTEL DINING HALL, AND,ONE MAN WENT TO MO WENT TO MO AND MEADOW you get my drift in the time it took the bus to travel to and from the pool. Have I jogged a memory or three. .regards Danny McKeeman aka flynsctsman.

There was beef, beef, tough enough to break your teeth in the hall, in the hall; there was beef, beef, tough enough to break your teeth in the hostel dining hall. Pees up to your knees, and I can't think of any others.

One man went to mow, went to mow a meadow; one man and his dog, went to mow a meadow. Two men went to mow.......etc etc.

And many other songs that have been discussed in other posts. We certainly didn't have boring bus trips. lol
stribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Willi Beach Reply with quote

I also remember getting my Herald Junion and Senior certificates at that pool, thought I was so clever, I think I got them all in the same month, I must have been a genious, (wish I could spell) Also the little pier thing out in the middle of the water, swimming out to it and jumping off for hours and hours, I don't know how we are not all dead from skin cancer, no-one told us about sunscreen, hadnt heard of it till the past 20 years. We used to spend our bus fare on fish and chips and hitchhike home, one of us would stand out front and hitch and the others would hide behind the bus stop or anything else we could camoflague outselves with and when a car stopped the others would all run out too, the poor soul must have wondered what he got himself in for

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was jelly, jelly, to loosen up yer belly etc. Laughing

I won't use sunscreen, I reckon it GIVES you cancer!
stribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is such a coicidence you should say sunscreen can give you cancer combecause a naturopath told me that today. I don't know what to do for the best anymore
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another conspiracy by the big drug companies, make stuff that makes you sick so that you will have to use their drugs to make you better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just common sense, the sun is natural and good for you in moderation, but what could be more against nature than a hot sun etching 30+ chemicals into your skin! I refused to use it on the kids. The media has programmed us for years that sunscreen is essential, and that we'll all get skin cancer if we don't buy it. And everyone falls for the spin, like the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. People will wake up eventually, and there will be the mother of all class actions. I hope live to see that. Evil or Very Mad
All you need is a hat, and sleeves.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.M.G That is deep !! I think the best way is to stay at home with a good book and some choccies,being fair skinned and English doesnt help,it doesnt matter how long we have been here,the hot sun just gets to you,and as you say we do get railroaded into believing anything ,because these people are supposed to know better than us,and yes I suppose if you think about it ,it is like burning chemicals into your skin Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choccies are good for you, they keep the wrinkles off your face. I'm almost 56 and have no crow's feet as yet. I put it down to saturation- bombing chocolate since my first pay-packet. I'm also one of those freaky Brits who goes straight to brown in the sun. Or maybe all the brown chocolate helped. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: