Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions of Altona Hostel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stribe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: First impressions of Altona Hostel Reply with quote

We arrived at Port Melbourne on the Fair Sky in November 1960 and it was very late at night, as we came down Kororoit Creek road in the dark we saw all these amazing lights, it was like Blackpool illuminations, we were so excited to be going to live in such an exciting place. Well we woke in the morning to these big oil tanks, thats what all the lights were, the lights on the tanks. then lining up in the Canteen with everyone staring at you because you were the new kids on the block. I got kicked out of the ballet class run by Mrs Keane who had a beautifull daughter called Linda who I was so jealous of, she was everything I wasnt, blonde tanned, I had red hair and freckles, and come to think of it I still have, I used to laugh all through the class, and mum wasnt paying 2 bob for me to laught all through the class. She also had a son called Anthony who was best frinds with my brother Richard. My best friends were Nora Griffin and Doreen Griffin, they left to go back to England but came out years later. The Mintos were on the hostel with me, and many more who will come to mind, I went to St Marys for a short time and hated it so went to Seaholme Primary then Williamstown Hight School, my Friend Anne Shaw left the hostel and came back to live in Yarraville, she ended up living in Altona and going to Altona High, I had more friends at Altona Hight than Willi High, my brother Richard and sister Rhona went to Altona High,
eileen eileen has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i am Eileen Griffin, nice to see our Doreen and Nora was your best friends. i was on the phone to Nora only the other day. she's ok . she will be pleased when i tell her of this. but what's your name?
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember thinking the same thing about the lights that lit up the night sky, we thought it looked like a fairyland lol. In the daytime it was just oil refineries, oh but at night it looked magnificent, I loved our club nights in altona hostel and I think I heard my first beatle song in the club, I still love the beatles to this day, I was talking to Marion Mcclean today, who was also on the hostel, she was excited to hear about this website, Marion married Terry Mcveigh who was also on the hostel.Remember the fun we had playing netball and we thought it was great when we travelled to other hostels for games, also the back beach, was to all of us our own private beach, and we did'nt care much for outsiders coming to use it lol. the memories are flooding back.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember anything else BUT Beatles songs played at the Club! We played all the B sides as well, and to this day, every Beatles song I hear from 1964, I'm operating that giant turntable again. I felt so important when Skip let me play the records sometimes. Cool

I crossed paths with Lynda Keane later on, but by then she was grown up, married to a singer named Greg Anderson, and had a beautiful red-haired baby named Hayley, who must be about 38 by now. I believe Lynda became an actress herself, and was in shows such as Bellbird. Her parents had a little furniture shop in Civic Parade almost opposite the Seaholme school. This would be about 1972 when I was a student at trade school- I used to work for them in the school holidays for a while, painting their signs and price tickets. They were nice people, and pleasant to work for.
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Eileen (Doreen and Nora's sister) Reply with quote

I am Pat Heaney, was at Nora's fortieth, Cliff and his wife were there, have lost touch recently, Nora lived on the Gold Coast for a while when she was married to Vince and I saw a fair bit of her then, but she went back to Browns Plains and it is a bit away from theGold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat, I remember you, i was on the Gold coast with our Nora back in July this year. was walking up a street our Nora was saying she thought you lived in one of the houses we was passing, but could'nt remember which one. just wait till i tell Our Doreen and Nora about you on this site.
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Eileen (Doreen and Nora's sister) Reply with quote

Can you get in touch with them and tell them to get onto facebook or this site, I havent heard from them in a while and Keith was very sick last time and I want to know how he is keeping, he had a little job at the toll roads collecting moneys would love to hear from them, I can drive up and visit now I have retired from the workforce, was made redundant on June 16th this year so have some time on my hands, can you let them know so I will visit whenever they are availabe. Dolrren was working last I spoke to them as was Nora
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: First impressions of Altona Hostel. Reply with quote

We also arrived late on a Friday night in June, 1963 in the pouring rain into Station Pier, there were three families going to Altona Hostel, us, Gillet, Dennerleys, and Griffins, all of us with a number of children. We were waring the red buttons presented to us on arrival. We all stood round waiting for the bus to take us to our future home. Well!!! What a sight greeted us, brilliant lights, and as mentioned, Blackpool Illuminations.
We were shown to our huts by Mr Lawrence, and had to start making up beds, cotten sheets and army blankets. I was really aching for a cup of tea but there was no facilities. A knock came to the door and Mrs Hermit was at the door with a drink of milk for all the children and an invitation to join them for a cup of tea, it was the best cuppa I had had for four weeks.
We were so appreciative of such kindness.
We woke up on the Saturday morning to bright sunshine and our stay of two years and two months began and meeting up with the oil tanks which surrounded the hostel and mozzies. Neverless there were some good times had and some good memories of folks that we met.
I remember Sonny McLean selling clothing, shoes and odds and ends which he purchased from where, we never knew.

Olwen
stribe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: blackpool illuminations Reply with quote

I remember the name Hermit and Gillett but I cant put faces to them, but it might come to me later, we would probably have had to make our beds up too but I dont remember any of it only arriving in the canteen the next day and everyone staring at us and how shy I felt, a different person 4 years later when we eventually left I think we were the longest serving on the hostel, Mr Lawrence kept trying to chuck us off as it was a rule to only stay 2 years, mum kept telling him the house wasnt finished yet, she said it again and again, she liked it so much she wanted to stay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Pat, Nora and Doreen not got internet. keith is not working now, and Doreen looks after Keith full time. i stayed with then July this year. love the bones of them both. If carol reads this Doreen wants Linda to ring her. oh and i am going to Blackpool luminations tomorrow.
stribe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Nora and Doreen Reply with quote

Is Nora working and she was in a serious relationship when I last spoke to her, is she still in same house I will get in touch with her, what name would she go under in the phone book

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Nora is still in the same house. yes she is working but only part time. she's now with a bloke called Brian he's a lovely fella. they have been together for years now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

name in phone book would be Gilliland if not Griffin, i'm not sure if she's changed her name back to Griffin.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eileen, pass my name onto Nora too please. As she doesn't have the internet, I'll pm you my phone number and address so that she can get in touch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan, rang Doreen to pass on your number to Nora. forgot time zone and dragged Doreen out of bed, oops! never mind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: