Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions of Altona Hostel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the two time zones on my mobille for just that reason, daughter in London and Aunty Betty in Scotland, dont want to wake them up \by mistake, All the Aunties used to wake mum up, they never could work out if it was 10 hours behind or ahead, kept telling them the sun rises in the east and New Zealand is about the first place then us then accross it goes but they never quite understood
eileen eileen has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have got the time on my mobile phone but it was out by one hour, i know one hour is a long time when your not far off waking up. sorted it now
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, It's so easy to forget the time difference.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to first impressions, apart from all the bus trip from the dock to the hostel, the thing I remember most was my first breakfast. I was walking back from the race with my tray and I passed a table full of kids. At least some of them were boys, but I can't remember if they all were. I was asked where I came from, then who did I "barrack" for. I didn't understand what barrack meant and they quite condescendingly told me. I said Man United, and they said I was a drongo and they meant VFL. Of course, I had no idea what that was or who the teams were, so I said to name the teams which they proceeded to do. The one that sounded nice was Collingwood, so that was the team I chose, and I stuck with them for 10 years, then I finally grew a brain. lol I changed my allegiance to Footscray in 1973 and have been a doggies fan ever since. I STILL "barrack" for Mau united too.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about first impressions,but one I will never forget is the time we had a plague of giant moths (Ugh) and I am terrified of the bloody things.They where every where,I remember going to the rec one night and it was covered in them,and the next day at school a girl had one down her back and the teacher hit her on the back and squashed it,I thought I was going to faint.I think that was worse than the fire Shocked Shocked
stribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with barracking for Collingwood as they are great, I was the opposite, I was a footscray supporter then started going out with Roland who wouldnt take me to a bulldogs match, so I had to go to Collingwood and I got converted, except when we were playing the bulldogs when I pulled out my red white and blue scarf.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard when you have a "one eyed" partner who refuses to accept and support your allegances. Nothing wrong with going to both Doggy and Maggy games, except for a Collingwood supporter. lol I've found that they tend to be TOTALLY unable to accept that there are other teams in the league, or that other people actually support them. hehe. Mind you, supporters of other teams can also be like that, but generally not as bad as Magpie supporters. I still have many friends who support them, and boy, are they single minded. Now that you don't live in Victoria, it would be much easier to go back to your original allegiance if you choose, as you wouldn't be going to matches.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent 7 years in the Collingwood Cheer Squad I did, and proudly fitted the stereotype profile!
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Have to admit, I fitted the profile too when I supported them. Hope I didn't offend anyone with the reference to "growing a brain", it WAS meant as a joke.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None taken, there are still plenty of bogans among 'em. They weren't all "refined" like me! Laughing I limited my expletives and finger gestures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: