Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phillip Marsh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Phillip Marsh Reply with quote

Does anyone remember a guy called Phillip Marsh, he must have arrived at the end of 1964 because that is when I left and I was madly in love with him, he moved to Melton would love to know where he is now. I ended up marrying a guy who was only on the hostel for about 8 weeks, in that 8 weeks he befriended Cliff Myers and went out with Cliff's sister Linda,I was wrapt in Cliff so saw a bit of Roland my husband, when he left the hostel he came back a few times to see Linda, then many years later we met up again, and now we have been married 38 years, we talk about the people on the hostel but because he wasnt on there long he doesnt remember a real lot. If you had four workers in a family the tarrif was quite expensive you were better off in a house paying rent, my family only had one worker so the tarrif was cheap. All our mail went to the office and you had to go and pick it up, I was always in trouble at school and the headmistress of Willi High Miss Mason would send letters home to my mum, but I would just go to the office to get the mail and find the one and tear it up, she must have thought my mum a bad mum, but mum never got the letters. We used to have to go and get our bedding as well you changed your bottom sheet, put the top one on the bottom and there you went, never two sheets in one week. so funny now. Mum bought an electric frypan from Mr Keane the Waltons man who came around, she had never bought anything on the never never (as she called it) in her life but was fed up with having only hostel food, she cooked us heaps in that frypan, well they had parents teacher night at Seaholme Primary and my mum went into my brother Richards class, and there was a picture of mum drawn by him with written under it, "I love my mum because she sometimes cooks us dinners" well mum was moritified because all the other mums were lookinga at it and laughing, she had to explain about being on a migrant hostel etc etc
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That name rings a bell, but I can't put a face to it.

I too had a big crush on Cliff Myers. I think quite a few girls did. lol
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are remembering the boys lol, who remembers Ron Moore, I had such a crush on him, he ended up going out with Joanna Westhead,and Jimmy Mcquade was such a nice wee fellow and andy Logan was a really shy guy Smile
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: remembering the boys Reply with quote

I remember Andy Logan he was cust
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Andy Logan Reply with quote

I mean to say he was cute not cust
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I didnt have a crush on Cliff Myers probably cos he is my brother,but I was madly in love with Andy Logan and we were an item for some time ( ner ner) I must have been all of 12 years old then,but it was real love I am sure of it Embarassed Cliff now lives in England,he went back to dear old Wigan some years back now, his 2 children and all his grandchildren live there too.Does any body remember George Banks,our Linda went out with him,he didnt live on the hostel,but did live quite close to it,a real wrong un as my Mum called him,he rode horses all the time and always went over to the back beach on them and caused havoc.
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: George Banks Reply with quote

I remember George Banks really really well because after he went out with Linda Myers he went out with Anne Shaw who is still my oldest friend we met on the hostel and she is on facebook and we liase with each other all the time. George lived in what looked like a horrible house on Kororoit Creek Road and I suppose we were then his closest neighbour. He could ride a horse really well and I think we all like him a bit because he seemed so worldly. Lucky you with Andy Logan I thought he was really nice no boys ever like me on the hostel (woh is me ho hum) I guess it was the red hair and freckles. I did OK though as Roland is fabulous and I couldnt have done any better, I would have like him on the hostel but I Knew straight away he facnied Linda as all the boys seemed to do.
PS: I had been trying to think of George Banks name for days, thanks for reminding me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing lol lol george Banks did well I was still going out with him, when we moved to Laverton, but I always thought he looked like the man from that show U.N.C.L.E his family had the wrecking business always loads of old cars and other things at his place lol lol
stribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golly gosh he did do well, Linda Myers, Anne Shaw and you, I wonder who else went out with him, its no wonder he liked the hostel, Anne said he was involved in a bad car accident a few years ago and has never come good since

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile hiya me again,George Banks did go out with another hostel girl after all of us lol. I think they got married and had a baby , this has to be late 1966 or early 1967.forgot all about him up until now lol. does anyone remember that guy lulu? he used to ride his horse onto the hostel, the bl--dy thing bit me, the horse not the guy lol lol .
stribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Lulu Reply with quote

Dont remember him Caroline, thought there was a horse called lulu,
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caroline wrote:
we are remembering the boys lol, who remembers Ron Moore, I had such a crush on him, he ended up going out with Joanna Westhead,and Jimmy Mcquade was such a nice wee fellow and andy Logan was a really shy guy Smile

Thanks for supplying me with Jimmy's surname Caroline. I went with him for quite a while when we were about 13 (me) and 14 (him).

Does anyone remember John Van Der Plas. He also didn't live on the hostel, but in Newport. Marion McLean went with him for quite a while.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Hiya Susan, I just left you a message on Facebook too lol lol I remember John Vander plas well, Marion went out with him for a while and I went out with his Scots mate David Moir, I ended up working with his ex sister in law at G.M.H.talk about 6 degrees of seperation, John ended up going out with Janet Westhead I think xx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh all these years I thought lulu was the guys name, but maybe just maybe, it was his horse lol lol lol lol .xxx
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehehe, I went out with for a while too, but that was well after I had left the hostel. Seems he had a thing for hostel girls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: