Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New National Archive Material available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: New National Archive Material available Reply with quote

Some time ago, I posted that I had applied for further information from the National Archives of Australia re the East Hills Hostel. I had ordered it and have been waiting for several months. It is now available. If you are searching for it, it is referenced as Barcode 1091785 . There are 338 pages, Thats right, 338. They proport to date from 1949 onwards, but are mostly around 1949 and 1950. There is also a letter from the 1800's. The contents revolve mostly around the purchase, survyeing and approval of the EHH site. There are a few drawings of the site and one in particular of the construction of the mess halls. There is also some mention of construction of the wooded footbrige. I hope all who are interested enjoy. They have already been paid for and are now available free to anyone who wants to see them. You can also search for "east hills hostel" and you will quickly find them. Good luck all. Regards, Richard Hallford.
Len

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up Richard. Great stuff!

Smile
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: East Hills Post Office Reply with quote

There is now a free to the public record of documents pertaining to the East Hills Post office. The oldest is 1894, where a petition is taken up to start a postal service. There are also records of the purchase of materials to build the post office in 1911. National Archives of Australia Barcode 434663 . Good hunting
GinaKate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still blundering my way around the National Archives. I'm trying to find information on where our ship docked, is it possible to access that information? All I can remember is a huge area, walking up and down aisles of suitcases in search of our own, and then that seemingly endless bus ride to East Hills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: