Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabrammata Hostel 1965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irene

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Cabrammata Hostel 1965 Reply with quote

Hi I came to Cabramatta Hostel with my parents Bill and Isobel Lawrie on the Ellios on the 29th of April 1965 my Brother Ian, Robert and sister Christine. We lived a the far end a low number which escapes me I think it was under 10 We lived near the Osmans, Smallwoods, Edmonds, Butterworths , O'Shea's, Carters, I went to Cabramatta West as I was 11 then onto The high school, We left the hostel in and rented in John Street then mum and dad bought a house in Wentworthville in 1968. We made many friends in the hostel. My mum was going home everyday for two years as she missed Scotland but we stayed and have gone back for holidays many times. They have been married 60 years in November.
I have many happy days in the hostel being a child was great but an adult must have been harder. My dad worked at Goodyear for over 20years.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irene,welcome to the site,I was wondering if the name of the ship you sailed on was the Ellinis rather than the Ellios,The Ellinis was a Chandris ship I sailed on her to some time in the early 70s on my trips back and forth to the UK,also The Australis which was the bigger sister,but I have to say that The Oriana was far better than both of them,but I was just a kid on the Oriana so my expectations were not as high,but it was a beautiful ship and we had a ball.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irene,
My husband would have been one of the managers at Cabramatta when you were there. and my kids went to Cabramatta West school too.We were at Cabramatta twice, 1st time in 1957 and second time 1965.
My husband was Tony Hobbs. You would have been about the same age as my eldest son. He was born in 1954 Smile
Len

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Irene, glad you joined us.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: