Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holmesglen Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tohara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Holmesglen Hostel Reply with quote

Thought I had better start a forum for Holmesglen, it seems that no one has.
I and my family were on Holmesglen Hostel for Feb 23 1966 for around 12 months, we then went to a rental house in Syndal, in Sesame Street would you believe.
Regards
tohara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

I remember the Rats along Gardeners Creek, Holmesglen and dogs being washed in the Hostel baths, needless to say, we used the showers.
Len

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony welcome to our forums and thank you for mentioning Holmesglen Hostel.
Now that you have, you may have made it easier for others (whom once stayed there) to fined us.

Do you know its address/ location?

Smile
tohara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len
The Holmesglen Hostel was at the corner of Warrigal Road and Power Avenue Holmesglen, Vic. The area is now a park with no record of it's past as far as I know.
Thank you for setting up this site. I have look often for any trace of the hostel on the internet, with very little success, let's hope this will draw some people out of the woodwork.
tohara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Search Names Reply with quote

Just thought I would add a few word that may help people find references to the Holmesglen Hostel.
Holmesglen Migrant Hostel, Located near: Ashwood, Ashburton, Chadstone, Jordanville. Situated along Gardiners Creek and the Glen Waverley train line.

The next article shows that they have turned the site into a really nice parkland reserve.
http://monash.vic.gov.au/news/media2008/media54-08.htm
Bio-Filter Wetland Opens At Holmesglen Valley, 13 August 2008
In November of last year(2007), Monash Council joined forces with Melbourne Water to fund the native landscaped seasonal wetland and rain garden in Holmesglen Reserve. Council has contributed $200,000 to the project and Melbourne Water $100,000 from the Living Rivers Program and $105,000 from the Offset Program.

Google Map:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=3%20Power%20Ave%2C%20VIC&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=vl

Melway Map:
Click on this link to see page
http://www.street-directory.com.au/sd_new/mapsearch.cgi?SuburbID=12736&star=5&heading=<b>Your%20Address%20Search%20:%20<span%20class=content_darkblue>Power%20Avenue,%20Ashwood,%203147,%20VIC</span></b>&x=145.0997714&RegionID=47&y=-37.8733645&level=6&CouncilID=574&StateID=1
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Homesglen Reply with quote

Tony, there are 6 entries in the National Archives of Australia in relation to the Hostel. There are a couple of pictures, there free to view, including one of inside the canteen in 1962.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: