Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Hills 1969. Hi to all here
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jarmo and welcome, enjoying your posts.
No the twins went first to Hammondville School and then to Liverpool Boys High.My eldest son, who was born in 1954, went to Liverpool Boys High. The twins were born in 1956.
Aren't we lucky Len started this site. Very Happy
SwampyWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Phyl"
I had three sons Murray, Charlie and Allan. Murray was would have been 15 yrs then and the twins 13 years. Did you know them? John was the "Skip".

Hi Phyl,

I remember your sons, I also was 13 at the time

Sorry to read that Allan has passed on.

Murry, got me interested to join the air force cadets at Liverpool Boys High (I didn't last long)

Charlie played Football (soccer) with me for a short while until my parents moved off the hostel, with Morebank sports club. I still have a pennant around here somewhere.

The hostel youth officer we use to call him 'Skip' was the trainer for the team and also took us aside while we were in the hall trying to do some boxing.......that use to be funny watching Allen throwing his punches as if he was swimming.....unfortunately the more we laught the madder he got.

We all use to kick a ball around at the back and one day poor Charlie put the boot in and split his big toe open, err wasn't wearing any shoes...(sorry mate if I dobbed you in)..lol

I got my big introduction to the Aussie mozzy one night when Charlie suggested that we camp out on the bit of ground we used as a football pitch........Mom didn't dab here and there just wiped the calamine lotion all over me.

Piccard69 is my brother and in the door way of number 13, I am the one with the t-shirt on.

All the best to you and the family

Regards
Andy Marsh
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
Thankyou for your condolences re the passing of Allan,must say I have not recovered from that.Sadly he was ill from age 18 years and eventually died from oesophagul cancer that had travelled to his liver and bones.He died 8 weeks from diagnosis of the cancer. It was a life of tragedy sadly for Allan and for us his family. cry cry cry
I don't remember Charlie's split toe or his overnight stay out with the mozzies but I had a stint in hospital and also spent a holiday in NZ at that time sooooooo!!!!!!!! Also only remember Charlie playing sport for the hostel.
Anyway will give him your regards when I next am in touch with him Smile
Ralph

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl, sorry to read about Allan's passing, I was the same age as the twins and I went to Liverpool Boys' with them in 1970. We didn't get to know each other well, (I didn't speak much English) but I remember them being very cool these blonde haired Aussie lads. Charlie once asked me to go into the hostel shop and buy him a 10 pack of Viscount cigarettes, (he couldn't buy them himself as the manager's son). At first I didn't understand the request, so he said VISS - count instead of the standard pronunciation, and soon I was back with the ciggies. Anyway, happy memories of a distant and simpler time, I still remember the hostel fondly as my introduction to Australia.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,
Thankyou so much for your condolances re Allan.He is still very much missed.

I say ,I'm catching up on Charlie, that was something I didn't know.Will have to have a dig at him. Thankgoodness he doesn't smoke now ,he was always so very sports minded and though it is on this site I will repost his business so you can see what he is doing these days.

www.mtcook.com

Have you seen the photo of the Heathcote Hearts posted here on the East Hills forum?
Hope you are well and happy and have had a great life in Australia.
kendo.lincoln.co.uk@gmail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarmo
I went toast hills high school in 1970 for 3 months before moving to Bankstown and attending con dell park high school.
I remember the Olympian swimmer Graham windeate used to go to that school.
Cyberdad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I feel like im butting in on a conversation but thats the good thing about forums. I was at East hills Feb 66 for poss 9 months but thats a bit vague. I was 12 at the time and I seem to vaguly remember your twins. I do remember the canteen (food ok for me). I recall coming out of the youthclub one night and meeting an angry tarantula. I leapt first but it was bigger than my foot and I froze rigid. The leader (poss Skip) lifted and carried me still rigid back home. Its a well worn story (one of many) that I tell my kids today. Back to the twins, my mate Davy and me were putting rocks and crackers into bottles and dropping them off the bridge into the jelly fish that crammed the river and I seem to remember them joining the fun. I still bear the scar on my nose from the exploding bottle Davy forgot to drop in time!. Did skip run the football team. I remember a ton of kids getting in a Ford Cortina for an away match. There were so many of us I never got a kick, and we lost but the oranges were good. Did any one go down to the creek between heathcote and East Hills for a swim?. I recently saw on google earth where the water came from, Yuk. I went to East Hills Boys High 66-70. Anyone remember seeing the moon landing on the TV in the main hall. Someone mentioned Graham the olympic swimmer. He was like a torpedo. He used to train at Revesby pool. I met a chap there with him one day who had great white shark bite scars like a sash round his neck to his waist. Turns out he was Ron Taylor who later went on to be world famous great white authority. Poss had something to do with the Jaws films as well.
I keep having a mental recall on some of the east hills hostle/school crew but as its my first time I thing this is enough for now.
Cheers all and look forward to hearing from you.
Steve
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
Enjoyed your post though felt sorry for the creatures in the water. Enjoyed the tarantula story.
We did not go to East Hills Hostel until the end of 1967 .We were at Dundas hostel in 1966. So may have been some other twins.
The youth leaders were always good value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: