Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Photo's of East Hills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane Jane has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Some Photo's of East Hills. Reply with quote

Hello Migrant Hostel Members,

I wanted to say hi and to introduce myself & my family. What a wonderful web site, many thanks.
My name is Jane Appleyard and my family & I emmigrated to Australia from England in 1966 on the Fairsky. I was only 5 years old at the time we arrived in Australia.
We stayed at East Hills Hostel for approx 2 years and have some photos I would like to share.
My mum & dad's name is Sheila & Frank Appleyard, my mum worked at the hostel nursery. While living at the hostel we were neighbours with George & Margaret Davies and while on the Fairsky were friends with Ron & Mavis....? (don't remember their surname).
I started school for the first time at Hammondville primary and remember the bus picking us up and dropping us off each day. I also remember the long walks we all had to if we wanted to catch the train, it was quiet a walk then over the bridge over Georges river.
My parents went back a couple of years ago to have a look and it was an army base with all the nissan huts removed except for one. A nice officer let my parents have a look around and there stood only one nissan hut which was quiet surprising as it was the hut we lilved in. My parents were very surprised.
I would like to hear from anyone who was on the hostel at the same time.
Bye for now
Jane

Last edited by Jane on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Claus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane..
i was there in 1969 but we were so poor that buying film for our camera was not possible..
so all i have is some memories fainting slowly away Sad
Len

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your photos Jane.
The Photos below, I've uploaded on Tinypic.com Only because they aren't hostel related and I have to save server space.
Smile

Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane,
Love the photos and can even see a little of our house on the extreme right of the fourth photo down . Very Happy
Jane Jane has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it a funny old world, you were born in UK lived all or most of your life in Australia and still call England your mother country. There certainly is a strong pull towards England and often dream of the times I went back on holiday's to visit my grandparents.
And so is the case with the hostel. I have many thoughts of living there and my introduction as a young child to Australia, it definatley makes you who you are today.
Glad you could see your house Phyl, my mother cried when we first arrived at East Hills.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane. I was on the Hostel from 1966 59 1968. tks for the pics. I have other pics on this site too. Love to chat with you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Janes Pics Reply with quote

Jane, the fourth photo down, the Nissen Hut in the background is actually the Hostel church. You can make out the cross on the top of it. The Canteen would have been to the right hand side of the picture. The photo is looking in the direction of the central oval.
Your Nissen Hut would have been behind the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Janes Pics Reply with quote

Jane, the third photo down, you can see the soccer pitch to the right hand side and back. It is defined by the white wooden fence. To the extreme right hand side was the playgrounds with the gliders and monkey puzzle. The church nissen in the 4th photo would be behind the right shoulder of the photographer. I have a photo looking from the right hand side of the soccer field, across it, straight toward the Nissen you stayed in. There is also layout plans of the Hostel on this site and you can probably pick the actual number of the hut you stayed in.
Please send no money....................... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: