Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Altona Hostel images. Odds and Sods.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's back now! Had an awesome time.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judith, welcome back. We missed you. So glad to hear you had a great time.
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Flyingscotsman Danny Reply with quote

With regards to the Christmas photo with all the kids I*m the boy at the back with what looks like a Y on the front of my polo shirt that was where the buttons were. I remembered all the kids were told to lift there arms up for santa, I did*nt want to that*s why mine are only half up. Anyhow, I got a globe of the world on a stand from santa. Very Happy Smile Rolling Eyes And in fact used it as a soccer ball when I got bored with it. Does anyb ody recall such games as; Kick the can. Knock door and run away that was fine until you got caught Oceania*s brother Jack can tell you a story about that. I*m signing off for now. Cool Cool Cool
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised what did you get up to? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I thought you were a quiet little boy on the hostel Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing xxx
oceania

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danny Myself and Nora's boyfriend Alan used to tie an old purse to some wool and plant it under the light in the stones near the front door of the shop on the hostel. We gave the old lady in there a rollicking good time coz she knew what we were up to. As people spotted the puse they went to pick it up and we would pull it away, they would get a fright and the old lady would burst out laughing. She even gave us a few cobbers for our effort. gee that was good fun then.
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: post Altona hostel images.Odds & sods. Reply with quote

To Oceiania; That was a great story Andy about the purse you and Nora*s boyfriend, played on unsuspecting kids and no doubt some adults you mentioned the shopkeeper, I think her name was Mrs Werner, I could be wrong. But when you mentioned cobbers , do you mean the little square cubes of caramel covered in chocolate. Well, if you still have a hankering for them, there*s a great wee shop in Pier Street Altona.Opposite the video shop, she sells every lolly you can think of even Tunnochs caramel wafers (YUM). Anyone else passing through stops off and I*m sure you will be pleasanly surprised. With regards Danny. Cool Very Happy Cool Very Happy Cool
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often go to that little shop in Pier Street, and have happy memories of those "wee caramel wafers' in my lunchbox back in Ireland.
The lady in the hostel shop was Mrs. Salamon.
jillbac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! all ....I remember being able to but bags of candyfloss pink and green colour? form the shop......and I remember when we came back to U.K my sister Julie went to buy a lollie ice (as we say in U.K) but she ask for an icy poll?? as she understood from Aus..the ice cream man couldn't understand her and she ran home crying!!!..witout her lollie!...And tunnocks wafers..and Tunnocks chocolate marshmellows....I buy them all the time form my local supermarket!....UMMMM!!!!! Razz
oceania

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Danny Very Happy I will have to get to that shop and check it out as its been years since I have had one of those wee choc cobbers just hope my teeth can handle them lol Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember they used to sell paper patty cake cups with toffee in them for threepence and if you bought a 'lucky' one with a threepence stuck in the bottom you'd get your money back. Well we would squat down and look up through the glass shelf so we'd know which ones to buy to get our money back. Laughing Laughing
oceania-V

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Haldane Photo Xmas 1964 Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that's me second from the left in the background.
Look at the girl standing on a chair then look at the figure to the left.
in the background.
I actaully remember getting given a toy speedboat for a present and saying to Santa. "Thankyou Mr Barrow" his diguise didn't fool me!
Also we had hats made out of coloured popcorn.

Nowdays all parents need to avoid food colourings and additives.

But our parent let us loose on them when available waited for us to go ballistic. I almost reckon it was a form of entertainment to our parents to see us fighting over sweeties then collapsing in bed with multi-colored mouths.
Christmas in Australia was begining to pay divedends.
I believe I also remember the youngster to left of shot with a Y shape on his pullover he was english and lived directly opposite B5.
any clues to him?
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: post Reply with quote

H owdy Oceania V, the young boy in that photo you mentioned is me, Danny Mckeeman. Read page 1 or is it 2 of this post. I lived in the units behind you. I r. nmember that well. There was a time when your dad came into our place sat down on our settee and then realised he*d come into the wrong hut. That*s when we lived near the canteen. When I stood at the front door of this flat, I was opposite the MINTO*s flat, and I thought your flat was behind them.I*m reasonably sure that*s how it was, but, if not I stand corrected. Regards Danny McKeeman. Smile Smile Smile
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: MARION McLEAN Reply with quote

DID MARION McLEAN MARRY TIM McVEIGH AND DID SHE GO TO WILLIAMSTOWN GIRLS' HIGH SCHOOL? IF SO, COULD SHE RING 9397 6533 AND ASK FOR BARBARA, WHO'S ORGANISING A REUNION
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Hi barbara, Marion did marry Terry and they now live in Williamstown, we both went to the Williamstown Girls School. also at the 1st reunion there were a few of the girls that also went to williamstown Girls School. there were the two Westhead girls, Joanna and Janet, there was also Margaret Minto, Nora Griffin her sister Doreen, who sadly passed away not long after the reunion, susan Gillett was also there. hope this helps you. xx
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: SCHOOL REUNION Reply with quote

Fingers crossed- are you Caroline Young???? If so, I've been trying to find you. I contacted Joanna Westhead and Ann Hesketh recently. If you want to know about the reunion, phone me- 9397 6533. I remember Marion and Terry- I went to St Mary's with Terry- he was in my class.

Thank Goddess for the Internet!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: