Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Altona Hostel images. Odds and Sods.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi barbara, no I am not Carol young,we tried to get in touch with the Young's for our reunion, but did'nt hear anything back from them, I know they live in Werribee, I am Caroline Mckeeman and also went to st. Mary's.as did a few others from the migrant hostel, andy Logan, judith houston rita de koning my brother Daniel, andy is on this site, he may remember more names that will help you.xx
Smile Smile Smile
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: SCHOOL REUNION Reply with quote

WHAT A SMALL WORLD!! I was in Rita De Koning's class at St Mary's, and also with her brother Jack!!!

Hwyyyyyyyyyy- I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!! You sat behind me in 7th Grade- you are from Scotland, and worked at a motel in Footscray, correct?????????? Hey, now I remember you at WGHS- didn't you do commercial?
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: SCHHOL REUNION Reply with quote

GROANNNNNNN!!! There are heaps of Youngs in Werribee- just checked Telstra white pages. Any idea what street they're in?? Or, do you know Carolyn's married name?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hi Barbara, I did work in the Palms Motel in footscray for 10 years, and rita was also in my class at st Mary;s and I am from Scotland, well what a small world it is lol lol ,I am not sure of the Young's address,but Susan gillett's mum might know as she lives in Werribee too, are you on facebook Barbara? a lot of us on this site are also friends on facebook too,talk to you soon. xx
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: SCHOOL REUNION WILLY GIRLS HIGH Reply with quote

Yes, I remember- Mum and I booked in the motel to escape from scabby relations, and I nearly fell over to see my old classmate!! You had completely lost your accent, which amazed me.

My most vivid memory of you is one day back in 1963, at morning prayers, you kneed me in the rear end and hissed in my ear, "You've got a bum like jelly"- and it sounded soooo funny in your accent that I burst out laughing, much to Sr Emilian's wrath. I copped detention for that, so I owe you one, McKeeman!!

Are you interested in my school reunion? I spoke to Miss Bowles yesterday and she suggests it be somewhere central in town, for everyone's convenience.

Did you keep in touch with Rita De Koning?

No, not on Facebook- nobody has ever told me what the advantages are, so I haven't bothered.

That'd be great if Sue Gillet's mum could track down the Youngs. I really hate ringing endless numbers in the hope that one might be the jackpot.

Catchya later, alligator!! Barb xx
stribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to St Marys for about 8 weeks hated it
But I think Terry might have been there when I was
What year was it
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: St Mary's Reply with quote

I was at St Mary's from 1956 to 1964, when they suddenly shunted us down to Stalag St Joseph's, Altona. If you thought St Mary's was bad, you didn't know how lucky you were. The Altona nuns were a bunch of total psychos. I have never hated any group of people as much as I loathed that lot.

What's your name and when were you at St Mary's? Are you Marion?
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara, I may be able to help you out, as one of the Youngs contacted me after our first reunion and gave me her number to be included in future events. I would have to look for it...but she lives in Williamstown. If you look on Friends Reunited under St. Mary's, you will find Paul DeKoning. He was a little blonde kid with glasses and would have been about grade 4 in 1964. I remember Rita very well- she was a lot older than me but was very friendly and it was never beneath her to talk to little kids like me. When I was in grade 6 at St.Mary's, it was a composite grade of 6,7 and 8, then as you put it, some of the older girls were "shafted" down to St. Joey's. (I feel a separate thread coming on!). I remember being in that huge class with Annika and John DeKoning. We moved to Altona at the end of the year, and I went to St. Joseph's from 1965 to halfway through 1970. I quit midway through the year and being academically inclined, the nuns were not impressed when I'd enrolled in a trade school to train as a signwriter! Which I am still practising 41 years later, and have my own business.
I used to have neighbour from your era at Willy Girls named Judy Bell. But she died of cancer a few years back. Another lived across from me in Footscray, named Liz, don't know her maiden name but she lived in Twyford Street same as Judy. Hope this helps.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: YOUNG FAMILY Reply with quote

Aussietrekker, that'd be great- it's always a problem when a surname is so common- like, where do you start??

I don't remember Paul De Koning- I assume he was Jack and Rita's younger brother. I will have to look for that site!! I don't recall Grade 6 being combined with us- which year was that? I was in 7th Grade in 1963 taught by Sr Emilian and Grade 8 was in the same room, but Grade 6 had Sr Phiilomena ( whose 100th birthday I attended)

I lasted 6 months at St Joe's ( 1964) before convincing my Mum that I would suicide if she forced me to return in '65. How on earth did you survive that dump so long????????? Did you have psycho Sr John as principal? That woman was a raving loon, and not in a nice or funny way- she was just pure malevolence. The only one who showed a spark of humanity was Sr Charles, who taught commercial. I wouldn't spit on the rest of them if they were on fire, dirty-minded scumbags they were..

Was Judy Bell related to Christine Bell?
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW more information please Shocked you can't just make statements like that and leave us all hanging..come on dig the dirt.I want to know what happenend at that school Confused
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: ST JOSEPH'S HELL HOLE Reply with quote

OMG!! Where do I start with that crazy school??? Sr John was as mad as a 2 bob watch, putting it mildly. She and her cronies seemed to assume that we little 11-14 year olds not only knew the facts of life, but were also sexually active, and she used to accuse and harangue us about our filthy thoughts and deeds, screech about Hellfire, and so on. We didn't have an earthly as to what she meant. I was accused of being a lesbian ("filthy pervert" were her words) because my friend's hair had become very mussed up in that windy yard, and as we had to be tidy, I was replaiting it for her. I had absolutely no idea of what she was screaming on about- I was so naive, I thought babies were delivered by angels!!!

Sr Lucetta used to prowl around the toilets spying on girls putting their tampons and pads in the burner, so we got so embarrassed that we flushed them down the dunny instead....perhaps she was checking that nobody was pregnant?? -and God help anyone who was caught looking into the mirror, which was the sin of vanity!!

They used to attack girls who had long fringes, hold them down, and hack off their hair....just thinking about that, my blood pressure shoots up 100 points from a standing start.

Anything that went wrong, it was the fault of the Williamstown girls- Sr John had an absolute hatred for our town, and never lost an opportunity to tell us what a load of sluts and gutternsipes we were. She told me I'd end up walking the streets- and as my folks had no car, and I walked everywhere, this meant nothing to me lol

She used to change the rules every week, so you couldn't hep doing something wrong, no matter how you tried. She would expel you for anything and I do mean anything. Then, she'd send her cronies to the bus stop to drag you back and just to show what a great Christian she was, she'd forgive you and reinstate you!!

We were forbidden to talk on the bus home and she stuck prefects on the bus to dob us in and get us into trouble. How the hell do you expect 11-14 yr old girls to be quiet????

She and her gang used to patrol Altona shopping centre on Saturdays and if they saw any St Joe's inmate behaving in a less than Catholic fashion, there'd be hell to pay at Monday assembly. A girl in my class was athletic and used to go jogging in a tracksuit, and they yelled at her to get back home and behave like a lady, because the Virgin Mary was disgusted with her ( lol) . On Monday, she was expelled for "wearing male attire", which I thought was just demented, seeing that at St Mary's, nobody cared if we wore shorts or slacks out of school!!

Gahhhh, I still hate those bags with an absolute passion!! Most of all for robbing us of our two quid. Yes, ask me about that!!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, that is TOTALLY all news to me...
will continue on the MSJ thread I have started.

Judy Bell did have a sister but I don't know what her name was.
Seeya on the Pentridge thread.
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: ST JOSEPH'S HELL HOLE Reply with quote

Ummm, Pentridge thread? MSJ thread? where are you now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI bARBARA , ME AGAIN Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I work at night and usually check in on this forum about once a week, I am so surprised that miss Bowles is still with us, I thought she was old back in my schooldays,I wonder about Miss Harvey, and my favourite miss Russell who was in charge of english and Drama.talk to you soon. oh did you get on facebook yet? xxx
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: CAROLINE Reply with quote

Miss Russell is still alive, and Mrs Jarvie lives in Qld. Yes, we all thought Bowlesy was ancient, but my guess is she would be 90 now, so was only in her 40s when she was head.

No, not on Facebook yet- lots of medical dramas here at the moment and it always takes me aeons to work out anything technical for the first time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: