Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Altona Hostel images. Odds and Sods.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ST JOSEPH'S HELL HOLE Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
Ummm, Pentridge thread? MSJ thread? where are you now?

I'm in Geelong nowadays. still go up to Altona a lot. My husband is also from Altona.
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: STALAG ST JOE Reply with quote

What year were you in MSJ and WGHS?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in St. Mary's Williamstown from April to November 1964, and MSJ from February 1965 to June 1970. I never went to Willy Girls'. I started hign school at age 10 ( I was one of those nerdy kids) and repeated Form 2, not because of bad grades but because I was being bullied. I was aware even then that I was different, and even some of the nuns knew this and felt sorry for me. So by Form 5, I was still only 15. I left in the middle of the year, a week before my 16th. birthday and went to trade school for 3 years. That went down real well, I can tell you! The following week, I was at school in the city with all male teachers, about 20 other girls, and HUNDREDS of apprentices aged 15-19. Oh, I was so happy there. Very Happy
Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Aussietreker Reply with quote

I probably would not recognise you, as I was at St Mary's in 1964, but obviously in a much senior grade. We were abruptly told, just as we broke up for the May holidays, that we were never coming back. Boys to St Aloysius's and us to St Joe's No time for farewells, or end of school parties, none of that. Horrible thing to do to young people who grew up from Bubs together. Had great May holidays, and then- MSJ, and those holidays were the last time I smiled that year, I guarantee. Entering MSJ was like another planet. So, I survived there frm June to December, and got out while my reason was still intact.

MSJ picked up when they got rid of Sr John, so I hear- well, it couldn't have got any bloody worse!!

If you ever saw "The Magdalene Sisters", well the head nun in that reminded me sooooo much of Sr John that each time I see it, I want to heave a brick through the screen. There was NOTHING Christ-like about her at all. We ex-St Mary/Josephites had a reunion 10 years ago and one of my class had hated St Joe's so much that she begged her parents to send her to The Academy, which had a great scholastic record. From the fat into the fire- she told us that it was MUCH worse than St Joe's- and we couldn't believe such a thing was possible.

Treasure your uniqueness- even though it makes the inadequate feel the need to bully you- it just shows how much they envy your gifts. My dad matriculated when he was 12- 100% pass rate in 8 subjects. I inherited scholastic ability, but was afraid to show off too much in case I got picked on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't bring myself to watch the Magdalene Asylum. It would have been too disturbing.

My Good Fridays have long gone, and I'm constantly collecting the Easter Sundays. My own " self deprogramming" consists of only two things- and they're both fingers! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: