Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabramatta Hostel April 29th 1965

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irene

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel April 29th 1965 Reply with quote

My family arrived in Sydney like David aboard the Ellinis 29h of April must have been on the same bus. We came from Dunfermline Scotland I remember my mum brought her fur coat over and had to wear it as there was no room to carry it, must have been a sight. My parents Bill and Isobel Lawrie 4 children Ian, (13) Christine (12) myself Irene (11) and Robert (7) We lived in a low number my mum thinks it was 9 not sure. We were friends with the Smallwoods, the Osmans. the O'Shea's, Butterworths, Edmonds, Youngs, Mary and Jo Smith, Scholfields, (who has the famous Jockey son and now grandson) Carters. Finnagans, I had a great time in the Hostel always on my roller skates and fishing in the creek. My dad worked at Goodyears and stayed there till he retired. I remember the food at the hostel looked good but had no taste, well not like my mum's cooking but at least we had food on the table. I went to Cabramatta West for that year then on to the High school. When I was in year 3 (now 9) we moved to Wentworthville and I went to Pendle Hill High. We moved out the hostel and rented in John Street Cabramatta until 1968 when mum and dad bought the house in Wenty.
I remember being in the hostel when Decimal currency came in Feb 14th 1966 and thought I was being ripped off with lollies as I was only getting 10 cents instead of 12 pennies in the shilling. So I only like the shillings when getting lollies. I used to love the green tree frogs that were always in the toilets. When I first saw the game of Rugby Leaque when Cabramatta played I thought it was a weired game. I could hear Warwick Farm car races from the play park. What about when kids on Guy Fawks night used to put the big Bungers under the plates and watch them fly in the air. I liked the Tom Thumbs and the rockets One day when I playing outside a family passed by going to get their child christened and the Lady handed me a wrapped up cracker and when I opened it up there was two shillings inbetween I thought it was Christmas, my mum said it was their custom. I was the first girl they saw my mum thinks it was an Irish family that lived down from us more near the High School end. We lived near the carpark in Alick Street. My dad's first car was a blue Wolsley. I remember pushing it a few times. My mum and dad will be celebrating their 60th wedding Anniversary in November and live in Winston Hills. I had a lot of happy times in the Hostel and lots of parties. Hope you enjoy reading this as I enjoy reading others.

Last edited by Irene on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:16 am; edited 3 times in total
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I enjoyed reading it, we all have the same parallel experiences even though the locations were different. And we all felt the same way about the lollies on Decimal Currency Day. Laughing
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we were living in Brisbane when decimal currency came in I was going to High school then ,and I remember going round and asking every body for a cent,I think at the end of the day I had about $2 not a bad days work,I preferred the cents as they were smaller than pennies and you could get more in your pocket Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tohara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We arrived on Fed 23rd 1966, just over a week after decimal Currency started. It was really good that we weren't the only people that were confused by the money. It was the perfect timing as far as I am cocerned.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were on Cabramatta Hostel in 1965.My late husband Tony Hobbs was one of the managers. Maybe you remember him or your parents may.
My eldest son Murray was at Cabramatta West school and was the same age as you.My twins were a bit younger. Maybe you were in Murray's class . Smile
Hope you enjoy the site Len has given to us Irene and post more memories. I enjoyed your post.
ronosman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Osman Reply with quote

This message goes to Irene Lawrie. My dad was an Osman and he too was staying at the Cabramatta Hostel in 1968. Just wondering if its the same Osmans. The are originally from England. Ron Osman, wife Valerie and 6 month daughter Sarah. Please let me know if it is the same people. Dad is trying to track down some history of our Australian family.
thanks
Rowena
Irene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: osmans Reply with quote

Hi Rowena,

No the Osmans I knew had a lot of children and I know they live in Penrith NSW.
I love looking at this site and know that all families were going through the same as us.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: