Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabramatta Hostel in Jan 1965.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendym

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel in Jan 1965. Reply with quote

Hi,
My name is Wendy, and my family and I were at the Cabramatta Hostel in Jan 1965.
We arrived at Woolamaloo about 4th Jan and was hustled onto a bus and driven to Cabramatta, which felt like we were going to Siberia!!
We got off the bus just near the back of the canteen at the hostel and the smell and flies were terrible...it was a really hot day and we were standing there with our heavy English winter wear on...Oh boy !!
I remember looking at the Nissan huts, thinking "where had my parents bought me"!
We were a family of 7 and I, the eldest. We lasted a week at the hostel, then Dad found a house to rent at Lidcombe.
It was at Cabramatta that I first came into contact with Mossies!! Also met a Scottish family, that had been at the Hostel for 5 years, and were very happy.
I actually would have liked to stayed longer there, but we had to find work. I often wonder about that Scottish family... Rolling Eyes
Len

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wendy, welcome to the forums.
I hope one day you find out what happeed to your Scottish family friends.
Smile
Wendym

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Len,

Thanks for your welcome...I hope I do as well..although it might help if I can remember their names !!

Wendy
Laughing
Helen Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wendy,
Don't know if we are the Scottish family you are talking about but we were on the Hostel from 1959 to 1965. I think we have the record for being the longest residents. Dad kept us there as long as possible so he could save to buy his own home which he was able to accomplish. We were in hut 45E. My name was then Helen Black and my siblings are Moira, Sandra, David, Sylvia and Douglas. My Dad's name is Davie, now 90, and Mum is Cathie, now 82. Moira lives in Queensland, has 2 children and 2 grandchildren, I live in Mosman and have one fabulous daughter, Sandra lives at Lake Macquarie and also has one fabulous daughter. David has a son who is the apple of his eye, and Douglas is very happy with his 2 dogs. Sadly we lost Sylvia to leukemia in 2004 and we all miss her very much. We have remained a close family and have each been quietly successful in our own small way.
Cheers
Helen
Wendym

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Helen,
Thank you for replying to my post...I'm afraid that my memory isn't great for names, but I do recall that the boy's of the family were very much into music and were in a band.
It is lovely to hear that your family live their dream, plus having your parents still with you is even better. Both my parents are gone now, plus one brother. I took their ashes back to UK where two other brothers were scattered ( one of the reasons that our family came to Australia)
The remainder of the family live in SA. I have 3 children, 7 grandchildren and 1 greatgrandchild...my sister has 4 children and 3 grandchildren. The remaining brother has 4 children and 2 grandchildren. The brother that passed away 2 years ago had 3 children and 9 grandchildren, plus a greatgrand child...phew!! My other sister is retarded,but has a wonderful life, and lives in a house with 3 other ladies in the community.
I have been back to UK 3 times since 1997 with my husband and although it was fantastic...I think that I am now an Aussie...
I hope that we can keep in touch.
All the best.
Wendy
Irene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Helen nee Black Reply with quote

Hi Helen Nee Black
I was just reading the reply's about your family and I was wondering if your sister Sandra was they same person I new as I went to school with a Sandra Black she had red hair and would be around my age I am 55 and was one of the youngest in my grade. She was friendly with twins called Angela and Christine, and had a friend called Pauline Bulmer. I have photo's on friends united used to be the old schoolfriends site, under Cabramatta West and Cabramatta High.
Hoping to here from you
Helen Stewart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irene,
Yes, Sandra is my sister. I have been talking to her today and she has told me you have since been in touch with each other. She sent me the school photos you sent her. I must have a look at the friends united website to see who else I can discover. What a blast from the past!
Cheers
Helen Stewart nee Black
Irene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: A blast from the past Reply with quote

Hi Helen, thanks for the reply I have often wondered over the years whatever happened to all the schoolfriends from the good old days. I think friends united is a great site, more people should use it. Ask Sandra if she has seen any school friends like the twins and Pauline over the years. this website is great too as I have many memories from the hostel. I somehow did not realize that Sandra was Scottish and lived on the hostel, I think Pauline Bulmer was English. Maybe because I lived down the other end from you in one of the really low numbers and just cannot remember as it was a lot to take in you probably had a aussie accent after five years, we were only in the hostel for a year and then rented in John Street Cabramatta. and in 68 we moved to Wentworthville. I go every year to South West Rocks so that is not far from Sandra, have done for the last 15 years. Today is my only Grandson Lachlan's birthday he is one today. My youngest daughter Alyce is getting married on the 13th of Feb. so have been very busy.
Hoping to catch up with more news later.
Irene
David Dalrymple David Dalrymple has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irene

Pauline Bulmer is the older sister of John Bulmer who I went to Cabramatta High with, he was also friends with Martin Jess but don't what become of them, the Bulmers that is. The twins are still around the Liverpool/Campbelltown area, I haven't seen them since the sixties but Stewart Odgers told me that he was still in touch with one or both of them as well as a lot of other people from those days. I keep in touch with Stewart and others via Facebook.

Dave
bushman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David.....your name rings a bell with me for some reason. Anyway, a great friend of mine , female, used to go out with Chris Bulmer in about 1972 i think, he was a twin, also a first cousin of John Paul, Young. Pauline is a name i remember from the hostel days but for some dumb reason , I never associated her with the twins, Chris and his brother. I was told by this girl that the boys parents were beautiful people.
Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.
Cheers Gordo
bushman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wendy....the big scottish family the Doughety's were mostly boys and lived at the very top of the hostel near some vacant ground. the end which was near "vale st" or the school entrance street.
Cheers Gordo
marsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Cabrammata Hostel 1967 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
My name is Maureen Smith (nee Bates). My family (Mum, Dad & sister Ann) sailed from the Uk in April 1967 to arrive at Cabramatta Hostel on May 3rd 1967 minus any luggage!! We lived in hut 79a/b right next to the hole in the fence to the high school! We lived on the hostel for about ten months I think, then we moved to John Street in Cabramatta.

My sister and I played netball and softball for the hostel. "Skip" at the time was Len Quinn, he had a son name Peter. We spent many a night at the 'wreck'. there was a young European guy, I think his name was Harold (but not sure), he use to entertain us with his singing and guitar playing. There was a girl called Rosalind that use to sing and I always remember her singing "Big Spender". Some of the girls I remember from the hostel days are Angela Cherry, Angela & Christine Watson, Jill Butterworh, Bev Foote, Gerry Neeson, Philomena Martin, Sue & Kathy Jackson, Linda & Carol Groom, June Leonard, Joyce Page. The guys are, Dave Dalrymple, Stewart Odgers, Mick Hall, Dave Twentyman, Harold Williams, Peter Smith, Gerry Bradley, Pete Ashby, Rob Ashby, Steve Barker, Bill Bainbridge, Mick Robson, Owen Cadwallen (RIP), Chris Whalley. I remember a lot of the guys that played soccer for Cabramatta Athletics later to become Fiarfield West Atheltics but they did not necessarily live on the hostel.
I remember other names but to be honest I get confused with school in the UK, school in Australia, the hostel, life in Sydney and then life in Western Australia! So many names to remember and of the above list not all lived on the hostel, they were just people I knew from the hostel days.

I do have very fond memories of the hostel. Somewhere in this forum I saw a comment regarding the twins - both twins now live in Queensland. Christine has been there for quite some time and Angela since about 2001 I believe. I have been in touch with Stewart Odgers, Angela Cherry, Dave Dalrymple, Bev Foote and Angela Watson. So great to be able to catch up with these people.

I hope to hear from some more people on here.

Cheers
Maureen Smith (nee Bates)
linda groome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maureen,
I can't believe the number of people who are registering on this site e.g. Dave and Bev Foote. It was great to read your letter. And yes I remember those days and the people. We had fun playing netball. Barbara Lyons was also a netball player. Haven't heard from many in a long time. They were such crazy days.
Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: