Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Marley Berkeley hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
embsmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: George Marley Berkeley hostel Reply with quote

My name is Evelyn Smith and I lived on Berkeley hostel from 1964 to 1966. I remember George Marley very well he was our 'skip' and coached us girls at netball...Evelyn & sister McMillan, Lesley Wright, Christine Wright(deceased), Christine Connell, Mary White. Sorry that is all the names that spring to mind.
My brothers also played soccer for Berkeley...Allan Smith(bones), Les Smith, John Smith, Ronnie Smith.
My dad Tom Smith(he is now 83 and wife Jessie now 81) worked for Lysaghts for a number of years and helped with soccer coaching.
Still in touch with many of the hostel familys, Tidswells, Youngs(peter deceased), Mushets, (Jimmy deceased), Kerr's (both Susan & Bob Deceased), Connell(father deceased), Wright(both parents deceased), Black(both parents deceased), Campbells...cannot think of any more at present.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Evelyn
great post.Sad so many folk you knew have died though.
George was a great fellow and became a manager later.We knew him well too.Very Happy
pelley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so sorry to hear that george marley past away. knew skip very well both me and george used to select the hostels netball team every year against the victoria girls and boys soccer george was at fairy medow hostel to. i was skip at bradfield dundas and villawood . i am one of the layzy ones that sit back and read all your comments and i love it must all make the efort to keep up its very very interesting to hear from all corners. love to hear from you all on this great site.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee Pelley ,Hope George hasn't died.I may have misled you with my wording. Was talking about others Evelyn had known. As far as I know George is still living but don't know where he lives.
By the way my boys send their best regards to you. Smile
pelley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gee phyl i must have seen it wrong hope he has not either. me and georg got on so well and john shay from east hills along with nev .good to hear that the boys are fine if there ever in perth they can always pop round they would be made welcome anytimethe forum came to a standstill for a little while but im always looking to see whats new hope every one has a good xmas and love them all to get on and keep things rollinggreat to hear from them all on this great site
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelley I have a nice picture of John Shea with my late son Allan taken at East Hills in 1968-69. Don't know where John is now though Couldn't find him in the phone book. We used to see quite a bit of Sadie and John but a lot more of Neville We were devastated when he died.And I did see his father when I was in Sydney in 1979.We spent many happy days at the Pitt's house .And I stayed with Pop and Nev for more than a week when I was in Sydney in 1975.Also stayed with the Rathfords then too,am still in touch with them.Treasured memories.
My Grandson will be working in Perth from January 2010. Smile
robert wilson jnr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pelley and phyl firstly john was still living around the st marys area the last i heard ispoke to frank mcnemeny who was the skip at a few different hostels over the years who said he was still around. Sorry phyl to hear about tony and allans passing you may remember me phyl from villawood hostel my father was robert wilson one of the managers there the same time as you and tony was there along with charlie radford peter henrickson geoff trueman .
Pelley are you the old skip from villawood by the name of john pollymounter are you
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
Great to read your post and thankyou for your sympathy.Pretty devastating time.
I remember your family well and hope they are ok. Please say hullo to your parents for me.
I am still in contact with the Rathfords,don't know where Peter H. is and I'm pretty sure Geoff Trueman died.
Is St. Mary's a suburb of Sydney?
It is so special when folk you used to know join the forum as you have done and as did pelley and a few others.
We are so fortunate that Len started his site here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: