Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUNNERONG HOSTEL, MATRAVILLE NSW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erica

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: BUNNERONG HOSTEL, MATRAVILLE NSW Reply with quote

Hello everyone. My name is Erica Monk myself my parents & 3 brothers arrived in July 1967 & went to Bunnerong Hostel, after the initial shock of arriving in Australia & what the accommodation was that we had we settled in to enjoy a life of getting to know our neighbours. It was a great life on the hostel not so great off it. I would like to meet anyone who remembers us from those days. We were there as I said from July 67 to August 68, when we moved to Adelaide. Smile
We were on the hostel July 67 to August 68 when we moved to Adelaide. Our time on the Hostel after the initial shock & wonder of what we had come to was about the best time I've ever had in Australia. My name is Erica Monk
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erica,
Though I don't know you ,I just wanted to say hello as I feel from your post you have had bad health in Australia ,after leaving hostels and just wanted you to know I am thinking of you.
Erica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy How sweet of you. How did you know I've suffered bad health? You are a very astute person. I appreciate your kind thoughts. Please do keep in touch.
Erica x x
We were on the hostel July 67 to August 68 when we moved to Adelaide. Our time on the Hostel after the initial shock & wonder of what we had come to was about the best time I've ever had in Australia. My name is Erica Monk
Len

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erica, welcome to our forums.
You'll find that everyone here is kind and helpfull.

Smile
Erica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, this site is a great idea I hope that I find what I'm looking for.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erica
Just sitting here at the computer thinking about you and hoping someone from Bunnerong hostel will make contact with you.We really haven't seen many people on the site who were at Bunnerong.
Altona hostel seems to have had so many posts they are having a reunion next year.
We are so fortunate Len started this site giving us a chance to post our memories ,our photos and hopefully meet old friends from hostel days.
Keep your chin up someone you know may turn up.
Hope you are ok.
Erica

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phyl.
where is Altona hostel I've not heard of that one? Hope you are keeping well. It's only early days so maybe someone from Bunnerong will come up soon at least I hope so it would be nice to catch up I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Take care xx
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erica,
Altona Hostel was in Victoria. Smile
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erica, hope you manage to find someone from Bunnerong Hostel. It has been so great for us who lived on Altona Hostel as we have found many old friends and as Phyl has said, we are now planning a reunion, and more people are finding us. Just the past couple of days we have managed to find 3 more families, so hang in there.

Just a tip, if you can remember names of people you were friends with, look up their names in the white pages, many families didn't stray too far from their original residence, for instance, we've found quite a few still living in the western suburbs of Melbourne, which is where Altona hostel was located.
deniseblack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there ...my family were at Bunnerong Hostel from 1964-65.....We lived in 6 and 10 blocks.....my sister (Yvonne) and I sold newspapers and magazines in the canteen at breakfast and we wandered up and down each block selling them too....It was very handy pocket money. Before school, we would then have to cart all the unsold papers back to the newsagents at Pagewood.... I have some great memories of my time there...particular friends I remember were Jimmy and Pauline Foxall....Gloria Pepper......and old Vernon who actually worked at the hostel and lived across the block from us as did Geordie and Janette McIvor and Brian and Lala Stubbs, Jimmy and Beryl Gardener and their families......I remember our lunch bags...made by the canteen staff. I usually had jam or cold baked beans! We lived at Maroubra for a short time before my parents bought a housr at Mt Pritchard.. I am now back in the UK as are 2 of my sisters, but 1 of my sisters and my brother are still in Oz as are 3 of my children.....On my last visit to Sydney we went to La Perouse and I made my son detour past the old hostel site......Happy days......
lyndamp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denise,
We were at Bunnerong from August 1968 to 1970. I don't remember you - obviously! But, I did go to school with Pauline Foxall - Maroubra Junction Girls High School I have posted a school photo on their page on Facebook, she is in it. I now live in Adelaide (via Queensland).
Cheers,
Lynda.
deniseblack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynda...thanks for your reply.....I will check out the facebook site and look for her........
Regards
Denise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: