Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wot !!!!!!! no posts !!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Wot !!!!!!! no posts !!!!!! Reply with quote

I came into the site and couldn't believe my eyes ,NO posts from Altona.We can't let this happen so here's a snippet from the February 1968 " Company Tidings" under the heading 'New Look ' for hostels Smile

Quote:

A group of three new buildings containing a total of 50 beds will be almost complete (or may even be partly occupied) by the time this is printed.The buildings are of a similar design to the one recently erected at this hostel,with the important difference that each of the new units will have it's own shower and toilet facilities.

Unquote.

Bit before your time though. Smile
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't panic just yet Phyl, it is December and everything gets tossed out for the silly season. Plenty of life left in us old girls yet. Smile
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Been very quiet for some time now. Sent photo twice but still has not been posted onto the site...Must be too busy.
Maybe once the festive season is over folk will get back to posting their tales, let's hope so it will be sad to see the site die out...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND EVERYTHING YOU WISH FOR IN THE NEW YEAR. cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way is it going to die out.
I have yet to post my blog-memoirs, and that will keep the Altona thread on the map for a while.

Anyone remember the old Red Robin knitting mill in Pier Street Altona?
A lot of hostel mums worked there. It has been the Finnish Hall for many years, a friend and I are going there tomorrow for their fete, should be interesting.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what Phyl, all of us who lived on Altona or any other hostel for that matter would have given an arm and a leg to have lived in one of those units..they would have never have got rid of us though they even had their own little forecourts as well,oh the joy
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited a young migrant couple who were on the ship with us in 1976. They were on Springvale hostel, and those units also had a little kitchenette, so they could make tea/coffee and minor meals. Still had the same bloody furniture though. lol
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Flyingscotsman Danny. Reply with quote

Someone mentioned not having facilities to cook for ourselves in our digs. Well my mum Margaret bought an electric frying pan and every Saturday at lunchtime we did*nt go to the canteen, we had lunch at home. I can still smell the vienna loaf bought the same morning in Willitown. Most Saturdays we had roast chicken and roasted vegies like roast potatoes carrots etc. Cool Cool Cool I will sign off for now *cause I*ve made myself very peckish Surprised Surprised Surprised
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rearranged our "digs" too. We had 4 rooms as we were a big family. My parents bought a lounge suite which was put into the second last room, and that became our living room, along with the telly etc. The very last room then had a dining table and chairs, and we also had a toaster, kettle and electric frypan so we could have some meals at home. Mum also had a washing machine which she had in this back room. The large "living" room was then used just as a bedroom with Mum and Dad's sofa bed being left in the bed position. A curtain across the room meant that the boy's beds could be in the other half of the room. We girls were in the room directly next to the Griffin's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder I don't remember you- with all those comforts your family probably made only a rare appearance in the dining room or laundry!
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely still ate most of our meals in the dining hall. Remember how all the kids used to line up at the doors before meal time, and when the doors were opened we would all rush in and up to the race? One morning, when Mum was on an early shift, my siblings and I did that for breakfast. Frightened hell out of the poor bugger who opened the door that morning. lol
oceania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say by 1967 most of the inmates of my era had left the hostel and I think we had, by 1967, been the longest family to abode there since Oct 63. I dont think any other family where slotted in to B5 after July 67, as moves had been made to start planning the tearing down the old. It was all rebuilt in brick with all the showers etc built in by 1970, and shortly after the Gov. or local council, decided it was to close to the Mobile plant and the oil tanks so became unfit for human habitation, and mothballed till the 1st refugees from Veitnam arrived about 72 I read somewhere that the new brick buildings and all the fancy stuff cost in the region of $10,000,000
What if they had all started it 10 years earlier, we would of all lived in luxury with our own showers, etc but thats life I guess. Plus if it was too comfortable people would not leave after 2 years as they (the manager) used to remind my old man every month until he got the commission house in Laverton he was promised. Sorry Phyl but thats how I remember it no pun intentended. Regards Andy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few hostels were rebuilt.Guess it took time to do this and as I have said before Australia was a young country with it's own growing up pains and all these folk coming to live there.
Have you read the article from the paper under East Hills. You may or may not find it interesting.My late husband was manager in charge. at that time. You should read it Smile Cool Neutral
oceania

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl Thanks for the smile, Very Happy cool, Cool neutral, Neutral at the end of your post, as thats how I feel also, but to know that money was spent from tax paying Australians (of which I have now become one) to build a palace to satisfy a gov. whim at the time just makes me grin inside.
I have nothing but respect for people like yourself and your late husband for the work you have done in the past to make our lives a transition to a new country a reality. Come to think of it what Gov. has not wasted money, the insulation debacle springs to mind, as I now have sagging downlights after the insulation was installed, so there you go another life adventure begins to get a sparky in to check it out. Have a good day and wish you could get over to join our little get together as it would be nice to meet with you.
Regards Andy
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy would be great to meet you all too as I have certainly enjoyed all your posts.A trip over is not meant to be though.And I have a son in Sydney .two Grandsons in Perth and a great Grandson in Victoria.

I think the sad thing is the Goverment built all those nice new buildings and then later they were all demolished. What a waste. Guess though they were all on Federal land so couldn't be used by the State .So yes they were probably a waste of money. Sad

I still have friends I keep in touch with from those days. Commonwealth Hostels took up most of my young adult life from age 21yrs. I didn't work for the company but had heaps to do with it as my kids played sport for it etc. etc. etc. They often wanted to eat with their friends in the dining room when they were older so I often eat there too.Sure saved cooking a chore I absolutely hate. Rolling Eyes

You all have a couple of years of memories stored up ,I have 18 and a half years. Very Happy Sad Neutral
stribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a huge fridge as dad handled all the grog for the social club and what my mum could do with an elextric frypan was amazing, she made everything as we would be peckish at night, we had a kettle of course and used to have milo and toast at night, the things you remember
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: