Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flyingscotsman danny
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Flyingscotsman danny Reply with quote

, am back again, here are some more names of families that I recall.Sephenson Ponting, Playford, Weller,Murray,McFarlane,Riding,Lee,Tibos. In fact the very first time I went to the Brooklyn Drive in was with paul and his dad in his dads car and the film that was showing was The ten commandments with Charlston HESTON, Those were the days/ werent they. Well thats all for now and signing off. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,for some strange reason I remember Paul Stephenson,but I thought he was on Wacol Hostel??
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brooklyn drive-in was the first I ever went to. My Mum took a few girls to see an Elvis film, and very kindly allowed me to go too. lol
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:
The Brooklyn drive-in was the first I ever went to. My Mum took a few girls to see an Elvis film, and very kindly allowed me to go too. lol

Took a deal of thought Susan...but love you heaps.. Smile Mam
oceania

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Hi Danny Reply with quote

Hi Danny You mentioned some names and I have a contact to the McFarlan brothers as they moved to Laverton about the same time as me and will endevour to get them to the reunion. they lived in Bladin street. Im Andy Logan and I guess you have read all the theads on here. I have also been in touch with Jimmy Minto and am in the throws of getting Phil Marsh on board. Cheers for now Andy. ps do you remember my brother Jack?
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no insult meant to you Mum. Love you heaps too.
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: fllyingscotsman Danny. Reply with quote

Thanks Carol for answering.The boy Paul that I mentioned was a Tibos I hope I*ve spelt the surname correctly, we were mates and used to pool our pocket monies together and buy lollies and soft drinks. Now the guy Stephenson Jimmy was his name. I met him about18 yrs ago at the Altona Sportsman Club or as it was known then; Altona Working Mens" Club. But not since. It would be great to catch up with him. I*ll sign off for now, regards sun Very Happy Very Happy
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Flyingscotsman Danny. Reply with quote

Hello Andy, I do remember you, you were a bit older than me, you were mo re my sister Caroline*s age and Jack was my age. I remember Jack and. I playing with fireworks in the old grandstand That*s when you could buy them over the counter. I must have been about 11 or twelve at that time. Since I was ten yrs old when my family arrived at the hostel on 23rd of July 1963. I*ll tell you what, my time in the hostel was fantastic, I even loved the meals served up, *cause more than once I had second helpings. Geez I*ve waffled on a bit here.I*m signing off now. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny, it's Judith Houston here, you may not remember but we lived next door to you. You were in between us and Tibos.
stribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny, do you remember me Pat Heaney, Iremember you, cant remember a real lot but I do remember you well
oceania

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Danny Yeah the grandstand was a lot of fun and I can remember getting my hands on a 22 single shot rifle, dont know who owned it or how come we got to play with it maybe one of the kids off the hostle like george burns. Anyway when someone else got to have a shot from the little building next to the grandstand a bloody bullet came whizzing thru the window in the grandstand and richochade up the stair case and missed me by bloody inches lol Surprised Laughing Laughing I also remember we got hold of a wild rabbit that had mixo and was not in the best of health so we decided to let it wander around on the top area Pat Heaney turned up and was going all nice and animal friendly when the bloody thing bolted off the edge and we all laughed or heads off and poor Pat was in tears for the poor thing. Never mind about waffelling on, on this site the more you do the more us people suffering slight dementia remember things so the better it is, I will be talking to Jack and relay your story of the fireworks. He is not computer savvy so I will pass on the stories as we are in touch all the time.. also where did you get the handle flying scotsman did you grow wings since I seen you last lol Very Happy Very Happy Cheers for now Andy
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: OCEANIA Reply with quote

: G*day Andy you seem to know what*s going on re the up and coming bar b que,. do we bring our own steak and snags? I read you will make a big apple pie , i*ll look forward for a piece of that. Keep me in the loop pls.Regards. danny. Very Happy Smile Very Happy
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiDay Danny Nice to have another bloke on here ,,besides Len the moderator. I was chatting to brother Jack on the phone today and told him about you on this site and he remembers you. He will be coming to the reunion so I reckon you will have a lot to remember together. I have put in a booking for the big trailer bbq from work and the guy in charge will get back to me soon I hope. Also Susan Gillet can get hold of one also if ours is being used... As far as the snags, chops and steaks go Jacks daughter married a farmer up Mt Wallace way and he started a businees called Field to Fridge as he was getting ripped off by the big boys that do the buying for the super markets.... so I have been chatting to a few of the girls re that and it looks like we can organize say $10 a head or something like that and I can just roll up with all the meat bread rolls soft drinks etc. and the gals a talking about doing some salads etc We can work out numbers coming closer to the day and you won't miss out on a piece of my famous apple pie and thats a promise ok Cheers Andy
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I am getting hungry here, I did'nt know you could bake andy Laughing Laughing .I will look forward to the apple pie too.xx
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be my pleasure to make an apple pie ... as a matter of fact my brother Jimmy is a qualifed chef and he has a bloody big metal dish that would be ideal for a big big apple pie ,, I will get him involved also Cheers Danny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: