Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANDY LOGAN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Gay was the managers daughter but I cannot think of her last name(after Lawrence who's little boy was killed when the bus ran over him) and she add a younger brother but dont know his name. My brother Jack told me she was killed in a car in her early 20's will ask my brother for more info on that. Cheers
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, I remember that poor little boy getting killed, I think most of us were on that bus,it was a tragedy,and you think Gaynor may have been killed, how sad.
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I still have flashbacks of that day because he was standing on the front step with a couple of other kids and when the bus started to make the last turn he sort of half jumped and landed face down. I was standing near the driver at the top of the stairs and when I felt the bump the driver turned to me and asked :What was that: I never got to answer him because all the screaming and yelling started and I watched as his big brother who was now crying picked him up and carried the poor little bugger home. I hung around for awhile with the driver who was distraught by this time till the police came. such a sad memory
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sad,I think most of the school age kids on the hostel witnessed that tradgedy that day,I know I will never forget it,and I remember his Mum returning home in a taxi to have every body surrounding her and
being told in front of us all.I suppose I didnt think much about that side of it at the time,but since having kids of my own,I now realise the impact of the whle thing.
oceania

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i do this right you should all get an email regarding this thread as you have all gone a bit quiet on this post but I may be wrong as I still am trying to work out what goes where and how it happens. no worries anyway Cheers Andy
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Andy Logan Reply with quote

G*day Andy, I*ve read somewhere in this forum that your dad had a prefect. In my hazy mind I thought your dad had a grey Rover that he parked near the end of the canteen where others parked their cars. And if I remember correctly the dashboard was a shiny wood, probably walnut. Car manufacturers knew how to make cars back then, that lasted for years. Am I right about the Rover. Question Question Question Question Question
oceania

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny Yes you are right about the Rover it had a wooden dash with all the bells and whistles. He bought that not long after we arrived in 63, it was parked near the canteen for a while till they blocked off that area. then it was parked near the fire hydrant near the rec hall out front. He used to call it the poor mans Rolls Royce and he always wanted to own one. Unfortunatly he t-boned an FE holden and pushed the passenger door over to the drivers shoulder area in the FE it was shaped like a banana. He was on the way home from the dockyards in willy and the Rover was never the same. He put another radiater in and belted out the guards but the front chassis was a little bent and the front tyres scrubbed out. So after a couple of months he gave it to me and I became the king of the paddock bombs at the old Newport coal dump area near the tip. Gee we had some fun in that car and it was impossibile to roll as it weighed in at nearly 2 tons. I used to park it behind the toilet block and it was used by many instead of the ironing room as a meeting place, the storys the back of that car could tell eh, lol. Dad bought the prefect after that and I sold the Rover to bye my bricklaying app.tools in 66 I got 40 quid for it and when I told Dad he laughed and said that would not pay for the starter motor but it had to go has I was copping grief from Mr Scarlett the manager for pushing it on the road to the paddocks and the back beach all the time, Wish I still had it, it was a great car to learn to drive in even if I was only 15 Cheers Danny
E. Anne Shaw E. Anne Shaw has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Altona Hostel Reunion Reply with quote

Looking forward to catching up and tripping down memory lane!
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anne Very Happy Glad to see you are on the site. I suppose Janet has told you I thought I was chatting to you to start with, and got a bit embarresed when I realised it was not you. lol Embarassed Embarassed Yes its going to be a great day for the memory department and hope the weather is kind to us Regards Andy
E. Anne Shaw E. Anne Shaw has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to catching up with you - will we recognise each other tho'
stribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least I will recognize Anne, Janet, Linda, Nora and Doreen, and Carolyne Mckeeman, oh and Margaret Mcfadyen (ie Minto) and thats about all the guarantee I could give
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I hope you haven't forgotten ME already. lol
oceania

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All Very Happy I guess you will know me I will be the handsome one near the bbq and my looks never changed even after being hit by lightning when I worked in Queensland years ago (lucky me) lol Surprised
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hit by lightening in QLD too,but I have to say ....my looks DID change,I hate QLD
I can see all the guys standing by the BBQ now so we wont know who is who
Judith are you still doing those name tags..or are we doing our own??
Oh and Pat you should know me by the time you get to the reunion as I am the designated driver for the day!!!!
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm just bringing some stickers & we'll write them as we go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: