Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALL ABOUT YOU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: ALL ABOUT YOU Reply with quote

Hey every body as much as we all pretty much remember each other as we where back then,how about we share a bit more of our lives..

Where we came form
Where we went when we left the hostel
What sort of job we did then and now
Who we married
ect ect ect

I will start the ball rolling if you like,please don't feel obliged to share if you don't want to

I come from Wigan in the North West of England,we moved to Australia in Nov 1962 I was 11 years old when we arrived I turned 12 the following month
We left Altona Hostel in 1964 and moved to QLD where we stayed on Wacol Hostel for a little while before moving to Inala.
We stayed there till 1967 when we moved back to Melbourne,we stayed with the McKeemans in Laverton till we found a "place in Sunshine"then we moved to St Albans
I left school when we moved there and got a job with my sister Linda as a machinist.
I have been back and forth to England a couple of times since then once for a 3 year stint
I married in 1970 when I was 19 but that marriage ended in Divorce in 1979.I remarried in 1983 to my current husband Michael Naylor ,who funnily enough I had first met on Wacol Hostel in QLD and who is the brother of my sisters husband.
We have one child Michelle who turns 30 this year ( ugh) and have 2 most beautiful grandsons Ronan age 4 and Liam 20 months
I now work as a Chef with Bupa care services

We now live in Hallam in the Sth Eastern suburbs of Melbourne

I drive a Range Rover
My one and only interest in sport is the Melbourne Storm

I think that about covers it
Oh and my favourite musicians have always been and will always be" The Moody Blues" and Bob Dylan
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by stormfour on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
stribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, I am so confused, I was sure you were in the hostel in 1961, thought Roland was friends with your Cliff, and that Roland and Linda were an item, I must have it all wrong, it is funny how your memory plays tricks on you, it must have been someone else, maybe Linda can remember who it was I am getting Roland confused with. I will now fill in all my details
stribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: All about me Reply with quote

I will go second

We arrived In November 1960, Me (Pat) Richard, Rhona and Mum (Margaret) and dad (Jim)

We left in middle on 1964 as mum and dad bought a house in Seaholme, I went to Williamstown High as we were still in the hostel when I went to hight school so stayed there even when we moved to Altona, Richard and Rhona went to Altona High School.

I married Roland in 1971 (he was on the hostel for 6 weeks in 1961) we met up years later 1969 and I remembered him from the hostel. We moved to Sydney for 1 year where my first daughter was born in 1973 then back to Melbourne where number two daughter was born in 1975 in Altona hospital, then bought a caravan and went around Australia, son was born in Southport hospital on the Gold coast in 1976, we loved it here but Roland couldnt get work so we ended up back in Melbourne and bought a house in Vermont where we lived till 1883 when we moved back to the Gold coast and where we currently live.

We live in Southport in a high rise apartment and have two Grandchildren, a boy and a girl. Daugher number two getting married in September to a boy she met in London when she was working over there, and daughter number one has been with her boyfriend since 1996 and no sign of marriage at this stage.

All kids live within 10 kilometres of me and see them nearly every day.

Was with Telstra as a Sales Consultant for 20 years and got made redundant last year and so far havent looked for work, dont think I will

Roland still employed as the local accountant arround here, been working in Southport since we arrived in 1983, both daughters are Accountants and Son is an Electrician

I think that about covers it, my interest are swimming and photography, but I am not too good at either.
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thread I have enjoyed reading We the Logans arrived from East Kilbride bonny Scotland on 10/10/63 at Station pier from the ship Castel Felice,,, there was me Andy the oldest (St Albans) then Jack (Ballan) Audrey (Townsville) Caroline (Cairns) Jimmy (Reseviour) Terry (Deer Park) and Mark who was born on the hostel but sadly died in a car crash in Cairns in 89, Mum Clara and Dad Jim. (both deceaced) I started my working life as a bricklayer and went on to work for myself for about 10 yrs, later on when there was no bricks to lay I dabbled in pouring concrete and carpentry framing houses etc. I married an Aussie girl Evonne who lived behind Phil Marsh in Melton and had 3 kids. Thats where I was based for about 10 years then when Dad died I moved back to Lav. to look after my younger brothers who were still at school then. The night we arrived in the hostel there was a fire next door in the big oil pumps at the front of the hostel. Dad had a friend Bobby Gilpin that worked with him in Scotland and we where all in his flat when his son came in and said look at the bonfire the next thing we were all walking up the road to the station lol
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Gilpin died a few months ago.
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you remember the Gilpins they lived in the very first row coming into the hostel I think they moved to Altona when they left the hostel and I let him know when my Dad died in 79 coz he came to the funeral but then we lost touch thanks for ;etting me know he passed away. Andy
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew the Gilpins well, they had just left the hostel when we arrived but we all went to school together at St.Mary's, and Marie and I were in the same class at St. Joseph's for years. They lived in the street behind us in Altona, and McLeod's lived a bit further down. I saw Marie and Mrs. G at Louis McManus' funeral a couple of years ago, she was still in Altona but had a bit of Alzheimer's.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gillet family came from Cadishead, Lancashire. We left England on the Fair Sky on the 3rd of May and arrived at Station Pier on the 2nd June 1963. We lived in H block hostel 2, and there was Dad (Des), Mum (Olwen), Me (12), Dianne (8), David (7), Janet (5) and Nigel (2).

We stayed on the hostel till September 1965 when we moved to Braybrook. The Dennerley's who came on the same ship as us also moved to Braybrook and later, the Frosts moved into our street. My brother David still lives in the house in Braybrook.

I went to Williamstown Girls school when we arrived here, even though all my friends (some of whom were older) were still at primary. Probably because I'd already started secondary school in England. I then went to Braybrook High, but eventually left the following year when I was 15.

I worked for Civil Aviation till I was old enough to start nursing when I was 17.

I had my first child (daughter) when I was 22 and single, married briefly to (2 years) then met and married my present husband Ron. Together we had 4 boys who brought our number to 8 (he had 3 girls).

We currently live in Cranbourne, Vic. I am retired due to back problems, but I do look after 2 of my grandchildren 4 days a week, so that keeps me out of mischief.

I love reading, and also like to knit and do scrapbooking. I have been a member of the Lions service club for the past 15 years, and I also did a 4 year stint with St. John Ambulance.
priya123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Electrician Melbourne Reply with quote

Very good! I think that you have done a great job! FANTASTIC!!!!

Electrician Melbourne Rolling Eyes Razz Embarassed Laughing cry Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: