Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WANTED- YOUR NEIGHBOURS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: WANTED- YOUR NEIGHBOURS Reply with quote

Made First Contact with Susan Gillet yesterday, she came down to Geelong with Ron and we had a fabulous day. We got a large sheet of paper and drew a layout plan of Altona Hostel as we remembered it. We drew the rows of huts with their numbers, and filled in where each family lived. There are a of of gaps, and we need your help. If any of you can remember who you lived next to, or opposite or behind, please let us know. The hut number would be a big bonus. We had a separate column for names we couldn't place- and remembered 57 families between us.
stribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We the Heaney's were in the very first hut before you went over the bridge to the beach, we looked out onto the kindergarten and the big tree everyone climbed, I think it was hostel 1, in one of the pictures there is a number I will see if I can find it. I dont remember my neighbours, they were a lot older than me (in there early thirties,) with a baby so didnt mix much with us
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 Families..That is some achievement guys
We lived in D10 the Dennerleys lived next door to us,and the Logans on the end ( I think )
Does anybody remember a blonde haired girl who always wore sunglasses as she said she had hayfever and she lived in the first hut as you came out of the canteen at the top of the row on the other side of our row.She was a bit of a bully but I think her bark was worse than her bite,but she always used to be in the toilet block when I went in and I was scared to death of her,she had an older sister as well and if I remember rightly she also had a brother.
I think Later on the McQuades also lived in that block.
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Ill have to have a wee think about my neighbours, we were down near the canteen when we first arrived, then we went to queensland and I think Judith was on one side and the Tibos family on the other,I think that was when we frst arrived, then we came back from queensland and were the other side of the rec hall,Judith is younger than me but has a better memory Judith do you remember ?xxx
oceania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy wow 57 families thats great stuff We the Logans lived in B5, 2 rows from the canteen entrance and had the Mcleans next door and directly behind us where the Lee's and next to them the Minto's dont know there numbers though. Cheers Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing you have a really good memory Andy,I;m still thinking about who was near me lol lol xx
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Caroline, you had the Houstons (us) one one side and Tibos on the other. Simonds opposite us, and Lee next door to them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Thanks Judith,xxx
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, you lived in hostel 2, hostel 1 was the first area, from the gate to the nissen hut. I also lived in hostel 2.

The Logans lived in block B, in hostel 1. The Dennerley's lived in block H I believe, closest to the road.

The McQuades also lived in hostel 2, around block D or E I think. At least that's where they were when I was going out with Jimmy.

I only knew Caroline when they came back from Qld when we became good friends.

Apparently my dad was meant to go to Qld with Dick, but got left behind for some reason. I never knew that.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I stand corrected,by my bother Cliff through my sister Linda...The Dennerleys did not live next door to us The Holt's did,the son was Frank Holt who was Cliff's mate and apparently his Mum was a tailor and she had the job of taking everybodys jeans in for them!!
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how patchy our memories can be isn't it. We think we can remember it all so clearly, but then someone mentions something that we had forgotten entirely, and truth becomes clear. hehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: