Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for lost friend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Looking for lost friend Reply with quote

Pamela Smith, from Wacol Hostel 1970
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maura
we were on wacol hostel in 1965-66...oh happy days,I have to say I hated QLD but I did enjoy my time on wacol hostel we where in A block and I just loved the huts there as all the rooms had a door that led outside,so your Mum and Dad didnt know if you nicked off once you had gone to bed ( not a good thing if you think about it now).But the whole place was like a great big woods land ,after living on Altona hostel with its one lone palm tree over near the creek,the trees provided a lot of shade from the heat,we moved to Inala when we left the hostel,then we moved back to Melbourne as my Mum hated QLD too.
My husband lived on Wacol hostel as well so I will ask him if he knows Pamela,by the way what was your surname when you lived there?
Cheers
Carol
maura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Wacol Reply with quote

Hi Carol, thanks for your message. We were there 1970/71. I loved it too! I wanted to just live there. The friends I made there, those tall trees, just loved them. The scent of eucalyptus etc. We came from northern US where winters are ferocious so we loved the warmer weather. I know what you mean about those doors that opened to the outside beyond parental eyes. I was 13 then, and rather shy but still loved the thrill of all of that sudden freedom. It's amazing that you married someone who was also on the hostel. When was your husband there?
maura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroll,last name was Gaughan, Americans. I used to go the the Youth Club a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: