Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bradfield park hostel 1961 - 63

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martihb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: bradfield park hostel 1961 - 63 Reply with quote

hi guys we emigrated in 1961-63 we were billeted in bradfield park hostel
my 1st job was in sydney flemings fabulous store.it was here i got the shocking feeling of discrimination,and called a pommie bastard.AT LEAST THEY USE TO PLAY MY FAIR LADY OVER THE INTERCOM,MIND U IT WAS ONLY ONE SONG TO MAKE ME FEEL AT HOME WHY CAN'T THE ENGLISH LEARN TO SPEAK.i got involved with breaking up a fight between 2 aussie lads,yes your right i got the blame,and sent to a branch a 100 miles away in hornsby i was only there a day and they sacked me..My next job was in A J BENJAMINS Chatswood Department store greegrocery department i was there 12 months before my move to the hostel my dad already worked there i started in the communal kitchen as a handy man my boss was renee jack it was hard work but i was only 16yrs and loved it out there an adventure all the way.it was only cause of mum we had to save up to come home she couldn't settle. if id have been a bit older i would have stayed,ive never ever been happy in the uk
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that you didn't apply to emigrate yourself after returning to UK.
You were considered to be a minor in 1961-63 therefore your passage to Australia was not down to you. You could have legally applied for assisted passage yourself when you became of age, either age 21 or even maybe 18 back then.

I remember Flemings but I don't remember AJ Benjamins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: