Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Refinery Leak
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Oil Refinery Leak Reply with quote

Dear me ,was watching the news this morning and talk about De Ja Vue,they showed the tanks there at the side of the hostel,and the big one near the fence had sprung a leak,they have sprayed foam all over the area,and the comment that stuck in my mind most was "luckily there are no residential housing in this very volotile area,the ministry for housing would never allow people to live in this area,it is way too dangerous" Shocked Shocked Hello go back a few years pal and have a look where your govenment sent us migrants..Judith has a theory about a cover up,re this issue,and I think I am going to delve into it more !!!!!!

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/vic-oil-refinery-petrol-leak-contained-20100209-nnlt.html

Last edited by stormfour on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith and I talked about that when we met up the other week. There are records for Altona hostel before 1960 and after 1970, but NOTHING between '60 and '70. Very strange that there is nothing at all relating to the time that we were there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,sounds really strange,I think we should all see if we can find out something,because if I find out that they accomodated migrants there illegally..I will be having something to say about it,and I am sure there are enough of us still around to persue a class action against the government ,this is a real issue and I dont think it should be just swept under the carpet..but having said that ,this forum is not the place to be persuing it,as it places Len in a bit of a position,so those of us who would like to persue it,if you find out anything,I think we have all got each others private info,so lets keep it between us for now .
stribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have a lawyer among us, Did any of us marry that well, still time.
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done kids.....Olwen thumbsup
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't actually my idea, it was a coincidence raised by Caroline McKeeman at our last reunion in 1988 and I never forgot it. She remarked that there was a high percentage of premature deaths among our parents due to either cancer or heart disease. Since 1988 I have heard of an awful lot more. My brother had half a leg amputated at age 43 due to a rare sarcoma. Mum died aged 56 of a tumour that was the first of its kind, and was written up in the medical journal. My sister has had cancer, but it was removed very early. And I can't help thinking about the poor McManus family. Considering the medical screening we all had to pass upon application, and even taking into account possible genetic factors, the number of premature deaths seems to be abnormally high.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly right Judith,all applicants had intensive medicals plus xrays and blood tests,had there been any underlying problems they would have been picked up.My Dad died early ( 43 ) due to heart problems as well,I think we may need some help , but I am determined to find out something !!
If you think about the constant smell that we lived with daily,and the pipelines that went directly underneath the hostel to the other refinery near Mobiltown,there could have been stuff seaping through the ground,there could still be,so I suppose it could still be tested!
Its like something out of a Stephen King novel isn't it..we will call it "The Stand" Confused
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that there was something strange going on, so I'm with you all too xxx
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymond T Hoser has written several books on Police curruption and similar topics. It might be worth it to see if we can get in touch with him to see if he can help us get more info on this. I have one of his books, and Ron has said that he has details on how to get in touch with him in there, so I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards the theory of contaminated or toxic waste remnants from the Army occupation. There are a lot of good Freedom of Information documents now available. I've seen a few from overseas concerning UFO investigations, and some of the things they covered up would make your hair curl.
My Dad, a retired refinery employee, told me a few things. In 1971 he even ran for Altona Council on the pollution issue. (and PRA were not at all happy!) He realised he was pissing against the wind, and we sold up and left Altona soon after. He told me that the oil and chemical companies have more power than the State Government.On many occasions at work, he personally pushed the right valve in one of many emergencies, and prevented the western suburbs from being liquidated. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we may need agent Moulder,sounds more and more like the X files the more you learn.Well I have got my dander up with this and I dont know exactly whar I am going to do yet,but I am going to do something Confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the X-Files, I've got all 9 years' worth on DVD, and an autographed photo of the Cancer Man. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now why doesn't that surprise me Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
oceania

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waiting for this issue to raise its head as I too have got a long memory on this subject. You are spot on Carole in saying this is not the forum to discuss this but Dad died at 52 in 1979 of cancer and my dear Mum in 1994 at 64 also of cancer, so there could be a link. I am now fully versed in Occupational Health and Safety as its my job now and have legels and hygenists coming out of my ears at work with the Union (if needed), but that can wait. When you see your sister drop through the old wooden bridge (missing sleeper) going to the back beach and sink up to her waist in thick gooee oil sludge and then years later have cervicle cancer issues it makes you really wonder. Roll on the reunion as this must be keep in house for now and I have said enough and I am right behind every body on this issue.
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: post Reply with quote

Speaking of poisons, does everyone remember we used mortein from a bottle and poured it into a manual pump which looked like bicycle pump with a circular can at the end then sprayed all the rooms in the digs we lived in not realising what damage it was going to cause us later on. I still remember the room full of the mist, poison mist I might add. So there*s another interesting titbit. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: