Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Janet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Janet Reply with quote

Hello all you other 'Children from the Hostel'. I have been following this site with interest and for some reason it wouldn't accept my password, but I have finally got that sorted out now.
We were on the hostel from 1960 to 1963 and I haven't come across anyone from that period (except Pat Heaney of course who I've always kept in touch with).
We were the Shaw family: mum Doris, dad Stan, brother Richard (all deceased now), my sister Anne and myself Janet.
I do remember Andy Logan but I think it was years later when he lived on the hostel and not us. I was only 8 years old when we first arrived.
My dad used to be 'Skip' in the recreation centre and my mum used to run a little library, my brother used to sell the newspapers in the canteen.
I'm certainly planning to attend the reunion (wouldn't miss catching up with Pat for quids) and hope some others from our time might be there.
stribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for you Janet at last. I have learned something new I didn't know you dad was the one called skip on the hostel
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet
Welcome to the forum,so glad you are coming to the reunion,the list is getting longer and longer it is great,I do remember your family ,but I remember Anne the most.Look forward to seeing you.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who looked after the kids club was obviously called skip at all the hostels as I've noticed that other hostels have mentioned having a "Skip" also. I don't remember Mr Shaw as Skip, the only Skip I remember was Skip Mills and he was a young single man.
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:
The person who looked after the kids club was obviously called skip at all the hostels as I've noticed that other hostels have mentioned having a "Skip" also. I don't remember Mr Shaw as Skip, the only Skip I remember was Skip Mills and he was a young single man.

My dad, Stan Shaw was 'skip' some time between 1960 and 1963, he took care of the youth groups at both Altona and Brooklyn Hostels and also ran sports matches between the two.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Skip Mills took over some time in '63. We arrived on the hostel in June of '63, but I don't know if Skip Mills was already there then or if we had your Dad when I first arrived. That part of my memory is hazy.
oceania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet So glad you have been found and will be attending the reunion I used to date Anne when you lived in Rose St. I was all of 13/14 I remember your Mum and Dad and all the partys there Its going to be a really big bash reunion and it will be good to catch up with you all after so many years. Cheers Andy
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it was Anne? That's not how I remember it.
oceania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet I remember you coming on the hostel to visit friends and from memory you already had a boyfriend so I never tried it on with you. Thats how I met Anne but she already had a boyfriend who worked on Newport Station and after a few petting sessions she decided to dump him for me. I was 13/14 at the time and Anne was my first real girlfriend lol He waited for me one night when I left your place in Rose St and we done the boy thing and blued over Anne. I then started pinching the old mans prefect to come and visit and I remember you going crook at me lol. I lost touch with Anne when she was going away with her Aunt for some time to the UK i believe. Thats how I remember things Janet you were sort of untouchable so to speak lol Cheers Andy
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's a fascinating story Andy, actually it was me who went to England with my Auntie for a year.
oceania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Well Well Well How embarresing is that Looks like I just jumped in without engageing the grey matter. Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter, it's all very funny really. Also it wasn't Rose Street, would have been Bent Street, we did have a lot of parties, hard to believe when I think back.
I still can't figure out who the boyfriend at Newport Station was, I don't remember this at all or even if it was me or Anne. I would have been 15 and Anne 16.
E. Anne Shaw E. Anne Shaw has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Andy Logan/Janet-Anne saga! Reply with quote

Wouldn't have been Bent Street Janet, that was way down the track - must have been David Street!!!
oceania

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right there Anne, Cool I also remember David St, and some gate crashers at a party one night, Your old man copped a whacking and had blood all over him, and I got a sprianed wrist that night, we where both laughing about it in the bathroom cleaning ourselves up later on. He was a top bloke your Dad
Ps. I did stay the night and got to sleep in the lounge, lol and if you go back to my post of the 8th just replace the name Janet with Anne and it might make more sense of why I got embarresed....lol Very Happy
Janet Robinson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right it was. And I wonder if Andy remembers what you told me about you dragging me out of the car and sending him in his way? Big sisters, who needs em? Shocked Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: