Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: new to forum Reply with quote

Hi all,my is name is nan bryden ,we lived on the hostel from 61-65 mum (terry)dad(peter) sister rosemary brothers peter &wallace.I can remember the heaneys ,mcbrides , cross family ,sandersons mcmennimes mcmanus, mintos .we lived in the third row from the creek, still remember going to williastown high school with Pat Heaney ,June Mcbride,Gwen Cross,and Pat cant rememberher last name.We left hostel in 65 and have lived in altona ever since.I have been married since 76.dad died in 98 ,mum in nursing home ,rosemary lives in moyston,peter died age 23.wal lives in ballarat, cheers
Len

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nan, welcome to our forums. I wasnt at Altona hostel but there are quite a few here that were.

Smile
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nan, great to see you in the forum. I can remember coming to your house with Marion Mclean, and each of us wearing one of your dresses and some shoes and wandering around the streets thinking we were just it and a bit. You had such lovely clothes while we were still stuck with our daggy Coles stuff and tracky pants etc. lol
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nan
Had lunch with Jacqui ,Annette and Angela the other day,we were wondering if you would some on to the site,great to hear from you,hope you will be able to make it to the reunion we have planned in April
nails nails has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nan
great to hear from you after all these years I also had lunch with Jacqui, Carol, Annette, and Angela on friday we had a great time nearly a 5 hour lunch, trying to catch up on 46 years near impossible need a lot longer than 5 hours, anyway hope you can make it to the reunion and spread the word the more the merrier
Linda Myers
stribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nan it's Pat HeNey up here on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Married now. You probably know most things about me as mum worked with you I believe at the

meat works, Mum died in 1996 Nd it continues to be the saddest day of my life we were so close I just adored her, She ended up living under me up here on the coast. I will definately be at the reunion and I am hoping most people will be there.
nan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all nice to hear from each of you. Pat mum worked with your mum not me. DO any of you remember the Wilsons?parents were Tug&Mary kids names ,Dianne,Alan,Gail,Glen&Paul,they later moved to Altona. I rember Pat Sanderson she had a white horse called nobby.I see June Mcbride now and again.
oceania

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Hi Nan Reply with quote

Hi Nan Very Happy Its Andy Logan Great to see you are on the site, I was contacted by Caroline who found me on a school friends uk site and emailed me re the reunion. I used to hang out with you and your brother Peter and I remember your sister Rose who was a bit older than me and sort of untouchable if you know what I mean lol...I met your Dad again after I left the hostel in 67... It was back in 94 in Newport doing a wiring job for a friend of mine he was still as fit as a fiddle and climbing around in the ceiling at his age...a real tough nut you might say as he would not let me help. I live in St Albans now and am looking forward to the reunion in April, it will take chains and wild horses to keep me away as I have had a real trip down memory lane and have been in touch with so many people from that time including Jimmy Minto who now lives in Bacchus Marsh. Speaking of Marsh do you remember Phillip Marsh? I boarded with him and his Mum and Dad up in Melton for a year before I got married. Looking forward to catching up with all the inmates. Laughing Laughing Laughing Cheers for now Andy
nan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy You are spot on with dad, he was always willing to do some work and he kept fit with his greyhounds. Sorry don't remember the Marshes.
stribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Nan Reply with quote

If you see June can you get her on here, I have been trying all over facebook to find her but dont know her married name, also Gwen Cross I remember the Wilsons well as Gail was my friend, Anne Shaw sees Alan Wilson and has told him about this site. If you see June tell her I am on faebook under pat heaney and tell her about the reunion I would love to get in touch, I visited her in Altona Meadows when we were both first married same with Gwen but have lost touch and would love to find them. Do you remember Miss Mason headmistress at school wasnt she an old bithch, and Mr Landa the French teacher who hated me. You went to Seaholme primary didnt you, I remember you being so good at Geography knowing where everywhere on the planet was. I turned the big 60 yesterday, photos on facebook, I hope
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, or commiserations! Smile
oceania

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated Happy birthday Pat I'm not far behind you. Got any tips how to deal with it.. mentaly I mean. lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cheers and have 1 for me ok
nan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i see June i'll let her know about the reunion, she can tell Gwen. I certainly remember Miss Mason what an old bag,Mr lander the french teacher the only class i made sure i passed.Pat do you remember Mr Herd the maths teacher? about the only one i liked. does anybody remember the Wheelers Question I think two of the girls names were Janet & Nora, not sure but the names ring a bell
stribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wheelers
I remember the Wheelers very well, they moved to werribee, I was most friendly with Tricia. She had a younger sister and an older one, It will come to me as the Shaws will remember too, I will ask them , Was Mister Heard the old guy who used to give us a lift home to the hostel as he used to go to his sons grave, Or was he that poor teacher that everyone used to talk over the top of and he couldn't get a word in,

stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricia Wheeler is the one I couldnt remember the name of!! she used to get hayfever a lot,and as I had never heard of hayfever at that time I was scared to go near her unless I caught it,she used to wear sunglasses all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: